[REVIEW]: 8097 Slave 1

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate this set?

Excellent
80%
Average
20%
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 5

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

[REVIEW]: 8097 Slave 1

Post by hatcher » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:16 am

Indexed

Set Name:Slave 1
Set Number: 8097
Theme: Star Wars (Classic)
Year: 2010
Pieces: 569
Minifigures: 3
MSRP: $109.99 (CDN) $79.99 (USD)

Description from Shop@Home:
Transport the carbonite-frozen Han Solo™ with Boba Fett™ and Bossk™ in Slave I™!

Frozen in carbonite in Cloud City on Darth Vader’s™ orders, Han Solo™ is transported by the famous bounty hunter Boba Fett™ in the Slave I™ to the gangster, Jabba the Hutt™, where he meets with the fearsome Trandoshan hunter, Bossk™. Celebrate the 30th anniversary of The Empire Strikes Back with this iconic starship equipped with independently rotating cockpit, hidden flick-firing missiles and other hidden weapons.

Includes 3 minifigures: Han Solo, Boba Fett and Bossk
Rotate cockpit independently from the ship!
Features flick-fire missiles and other hidden weapons!
Lock Han Solo into carbonite element!
Slave I measures 13” (33cm) long and 13” (33cm) wide

link: http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Slave-I-8097 ... d=10198837

I realize this set has been reviewed before, but its been a while, and I was looking for an excuse to put this one together, so here it. This is the fourth (yep, fourth if you count Jango Fett's version) of Slave 1, a ship that only appeared in what 3 scenes, for less than 20 seconds of screen time. Is this remake worth your hard earned dollars? Lets see.

The front of the box. This version comes with Boba Fett (obviously), Bossk, Han Solo, and Han Solo in carbonite. We'll talk more about that last one later. Now don't get me wrong, I like Bossk, he is the coolest Bounty Hunter (after Boba of course) so I'm glad to have him, but he really doesn't belong in this set, since we all know Boba works alone.
IMG_5638.JPG
The back of the box. Highlights include some of the play features, and some shots of other sets from this wave.
IMG_5639.JPG
Inside the box, 4 numbered bags (1,1,2 and 3) a cockpit piece, two instruction books and the dreaded sticker sheet.
IMG_5640.JPG
Two instructions books, with identical covers.
IMG_5641.JPG
A random page from the instruction book. The steps are numbered, with a listing of the parts needed to complete each step. The build is remarkably easy considering the odd shape and all the technique parts inside.
IMG_5642.JPG
The dreaded sticker sheet. I usually don't put on stickers, but I did for this one (I know, I must be ill or something) but if you choose not to, it won't take anything away from the set.
IMG_5643.JPG
The parts from bag(s) numbered one. In this bag you get the minifigures and excessories, and the parts to build the base of Slave 1.
IMG_5644.JPG
The mini figures. Boba Fett has a helmet, backpack, cape, and gun. Bossk comes with a rifle, and apparently he only has one hand! I'm not sure who was more upset about this error in my copy, me or Bossk. I hope that LEGO will send me a new torso after I contact them. Han is remarkably chipper considering what's about to happen to him,
IMG_5645.JPG
Here's Boba with his helmet off. I don't like the fact they gave Boba a real face in this version. We never saw his face in the movies. Sure, we all know he's a clone of Jango, but the black stud head of the original Boba just made him even more mysterious. Bossk has printing on his back, Han doesn't.
IMG_5646.JPG
Here's a nice composite showing the Han in Carbonite. On the left you see the front of the Han in Carbonite. This is a really nice touch, and much more impressive then the slab they stuck in the other versions. On the right, is the underside. You turn it over, and there are hand holds for Han to grab onto so he can be frozen. A pretty cool little feature IMO.
IMG_5647.JPG
And another shot of the three from behind, this time so you can see Boba's cool jet pack.
IMG_5648.JPG
On to the build. Here's Slave 1 in a very early stage.
IMG_5649.JPG
The shade of red chosen here seems like a nice choice. You get a lot of those sloped bricks seen here.
IMG_5650.JPG
Even more pieces added. You can really see it taking shape.
IMG_5651.JPG
Turning it over, we can see the engines and landing gear. I always loved watching Slave 1 flying away at the end of Empire when these bad boys lit up while poor Chewie shooting uselessly at it. Great scene. Just goes to show what a competent director can do with Lucas's source material. But I digress.
IMG_5652.JPG
This is the mechanism for holding the missles. When completed, you'll be able to fire missles by pressing a mechanism on the base.
IMG_5653.JPG
You can see the missiles on their launch arm. As each missile is fired, the lever slides down so you can fire the next one. Its LEGO, so it works, maybe not as much as you'd like, but it does work.
IMG_5654.JPG
The extra pieces from bag one. Sorry Bossk, no hand. I have no idea why one of those clone commander armor packs was included, but it was.
IMG_5655.JPG
The contents of bag number 2. Lots of green in this bag. This bag is mainly used to make the wings that stick out to the side.
IMG_5656.JPG
This addition doesn't look like much, but this will be the place where Boba sits. It will rotate freely, so that Boba will always be upright.
IMG_5657.JPG
The wings are now on. Nuff said.
IMG_5658.JPG
The bottom of the ship is basically finished, and now we are putting the upper body together. Lots of little details here. I like how the top part of the ship is not 100% symetical, as some things appear on the one side, and not on the other.
IMG_5659.JPG
Almost finished this section.
IMG_5660.JPG
And how the ship looks at the end of bag 2, with extra parts to the side.
IMG_5661.JPG
The contents of bag number 3. This bag will finish off the ship.
IMG_5662.JPG
The majority of the pieces are going on the upper rear section.
IMG_5663.JPG
So here you can see a flick fire missile launching mechanism that folds out from the ship. The missiles are not in yet.
IMG_5664.JPG
The big green pieces on the side are the most striking change in design from previous incarnations. I think they look pretty cool.
IMG_5665.JPG
As we continue to add pieces, you can now see the flick fires. I am quite certain I followed the directions, but I don't think that they are in the right direction. You'll see later.
IMG_5666.JPG
And here we are at the end of bag #3. Sorry Bossk, still no sign of your hand. The only thing left is the cockpit.
IMG_5667.JPG
And the cockpit in place. The cockpit has FOUR count em, FOUR stickers on it. Not impressed, but I really like the appearance of the final product.
IMG_5668.JPG
In this picture I've opened up some of the compartments that Slave 1 has. The top right has missiles come out, the middle has the flick fires (which I am quite certain will not fire here, but since I'll never actually try, who cares) and the final opening door on the left releases something I'm not sure what it is, maybe a mine of some kind.
IMG_5669.JPG
Put Captain Solo in the Cargo Hold.
IMG_5671.JPG
Boba Fett ready to take flight,
IMG_5672.JPG
A comparison shot of the three most recent versions of Slave 1. On the right, Jango Fett's Slave 1 from 2002, on the left, Boba Fett's Slave 1 from 2006, and the current version in the middle.
IMG_5673.JPG
Conclusion. Let's get the elephant in the room out of the way. This set is WAY to expensive. Even American pricing is high, but Canadian is outrageous. I love Star Wars, it was got me back into LEGO after my dark ages. I grew up trying (and failing) to build X-Wing's and Tie-Fighters out of my basic bricks, so when I saw LEGO releasing official models with cool mini figures, I was over joyed, and have spend the last 12 years or so blowing my expendable income on Star Wars sets. But last year may have been the straw that broke the camels back. Even at 45% off (which is what I paid for this) I still thought it was over priced. I know I'm beating a dead horse here, LEGO continues to sell well, so they can continue to charge what they want and all we can do is vote with our wallets. I would never pay full price for this set, and quite frankly if you do, I think you are getting ripped off.

Ratings

Minifgures: 5/5 New Boba Fett looks great, and since the helmet covers up his face, I won't dock them points for it. Bossk is my new hero (missing hand and all) and the Han in Carbonite is pure win.
Build: 4.5/5 Very tight build, easy to follow steps, and finished product looks fantastic.
Parts: 4.5/5 You get a lot of nice colors, and some good basic pieces so if you are only buying it for parts, you get some good one.
Play features: 4/5 The flick fires don't work, but the fact that the cockpit rotates to proper alignment when playing with it makes up for it.
Price: 1/5 $110 is a complete rip off. Wait for a 50% sale or use gift cards.

Despite the price, I do recommend the set. If you don't have a Slave 1, and you love Boba Fett is will make a good addition to your collection, but if you have the 2006 version, you really don't need to upgrade if price is an issue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?