[REVIEW] Collectible Minifigures Series 4

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate this set?

Excellent
67%
Average
33%
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 6

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

[REVIEW] Collectible Minifigures Series 4

Post by hatcher » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:01 pm

Indexed

Name: Collectible Minifigures Series 4
Theme: Minifigures
Minifigures: 1 per package
Number of pieces: Depends on figure.
MSRP: $3.49 (CDN) $2.99 (USD)

Description from Shop@Home:
Collect all 16 new minifigures!

Get your hand on an all new lineup of LEGO® minifigures! Collect all 16 individual minifigures, each in a sealed “mystery” bag with special accessories, display plate and collector’s leaflet. This cool collection includes: The Monster, Surfer Girl, Sailor, Kimono Girl, Punk Rocker, Viking, Ice Skater, Hockey Player, Street Skater, Hazmat Guy, Musketeer, Werewolf, Artist, Crazy Scientist, Soccer Player and Lawn Gnome.

Your mystery minifigure might be: The Monster, Surfer Girl, Sailor, Kimono Girl, Punk Rocker, Viking, Ice Skater, Hockey Player, Street Skater, Hazmat Guy, Musketeer, Werewolf, Artist, Crazy Scientist, Soccer Player or Lawn Gnome.
A must have for all LEGO minifigure collectors.
Only 1 of 16 individual minifigures in each package. Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate requests for specific minifigures.

link: http://shop.lego.com/en-CA/LEGO-Minifig ... es-ByTheme

The fourth series of collectible minifigures from LEGO. This one might be the best series to date. Sadly they are currently listed as Sold Out on shop at home, but you can still find them in LEGO stores and in some Toys R Us locations. Series 5 is already showing up with an official release date of September 1st. Lets take a look at series 4.

Cover of package. Series 4 were orange, and exactly the same in style as previous series.
IMG_5109.JPG
The back of the package. The "bump codes" on this series were even harder to find then they were on series 3. Luckily, most of the figures in this series were dead easy to identify with the "feel" method.
IMG_5110.JPG
Contents of package. Each package contains one minifigure, plus a display stand, and a folded insert. This package contained a Viking.
IMG_5111.JPG
The front of the insert sheet shows you a picture of each figure in the series.
IMG_5112.JPG
The back of the insert sheet is the standard how to mix and match thing they've been using since Series 1.
IMG_5113.JPG
Now, lets look at each figure. Some general comments before beginning. Something I've noticed on a lot of figures from this and previous sets is the lack of printing on legs. The front and sides would be printed, but not the back. Its particularly noticeable in figures that are wearing shorts and have part of the leg (yellow) showing. They have leg showing on front and sides, but it goes back to whatever colour the rest of the leg piece is at the back. A small thing, but annoying. The figures are getting closer to looking like standard minifigures you would find in sets, which is a good thing. First up is the Viking. He looks like your stereotypical Viking complete with sword and shield. If you missed out on the Viking line from a few years back, now you too can have a Viking army should you so desire.
IMG_5114.JPG
The Werewolf is next. He comes with a bone. Its hard to see in this picture, but he has the same ears as the Elf from series 3, only in brown. One of my person favourites from series 4.
IMG_5116.JPG
The Punk Rocker. He comes with an electric guitar (which is VERY nice) and a purple mohawk hair piece. The shirt on this guy is also very impressive. I'd insert some Sex Pisols lyrics here but in light of the recent riots in England, I'll refrain.
IMG_5117.JPG
Mad Scientist. He comes complete with a flask with some kind of green liquid inside. I particularly like the crazy hair and goggles as well as the stains on his lab coat.
IMG_5118.JPG
The Soccer player. I assume he's holding the World Cup. As I don't care about Soccer so much, the only interesting thing about this figure for me is the hair piece.
IMG_5119.JPG
Sailor. I don't know if Sailors still dress like this, but at you know right away who he is, thanks to all those WWII movies you sat through in history class. He comes with a telescope. The sailor hat is kind of nice.
IMG_5120.JPG
Garden Gnome. Ah, the much maligned Garden Gnome. You either love them or hate them. The minifig version comes with a fishing pole, but no fish. The beard is nice, and matched up with the hat, you could make Papa Smurf is you were so inclined.
IMG_5121.JPG
The Geisha is a very nice figure. The fan is fantastic, and the dress is very detailed.
IMG_5122.JPG
The Hazmat guy or Hazardous Materials Disposal. This is one of the funnest figures in the set. The "wand" is attached to the back of his outfit. The visor does not open. I love the expression on his face.
IMG_5123.JPG
Monster. I love the bandages on his head. A fun figure.
IMG_5124.JPG
Surfer Girl. I'm no expert, but a few people have told me that she is holding a wake board, not a surf board. Either way, this is a very nice figure, the design on the wet suit is exceptional.
IMG_5125.JPG
The artist comes with a brush and whatever that thing they put their paints on. His outfit has paint splatter on it, and I love the stereotypical snooty expression on his face.
IMG_5126.JPG
Skater boy. Did we really need another skater boarder? At least this one a different outfit then the last one. This is my least favourite of the whole set.
IMG_5127.JPG
Figure Skater. The figure skater comes with skates, which are kind of cool, and a wrap around skirt. The skirt is a real pain to get on. Her smile strikes me as being rather phony, and she reminds me of Tonya Harding.
IMG_5128.JPG
Musketeer. The figure you need multiples of (All for one, and one for all, and all that). The musketeer is pretty cool. The sword and the hat alone make this figure one of, if not the best in the set. The torso design is pretty impressive too.
IMG_5129.JPG
Hockey Player. The hockey player comes with a stick, a puck, skates, a new designed helmet with face shield, and shoulder pads. I expect he's more popular here in Canada then in the US, but we Canucks love our hockey.
IMG_5130.JPG
In my opinion, this is the best set so far, although the other sets have been pretty good. The increase in MSRP was annoying, but what can you do? Let's hope series 5 isn't $3.99. If you haven't been bit by the collectible minifigure bug, or have somehow managed to resist getting sucked in, you're a stronger man than I. Can't wait for series 5, and 6.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

lukeskywalker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: [REVIEW] Collectible Minifigures Series 4

Post by lukeskywalker » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:06 pm

I agree with your review. I've been fortunate enough to find them below msrp. Currently, You can get them at borders for around 2.50.

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:30 pm

hatcher wrote: The fourth series of collectible minifigures from LEGO. This one might be the best series to date. Sadly they are currently listed as Sold Out on shop at home, but you can still find them in LEGO stores and in some Toys R Us locations.
It is still available at chapter.ca. In fact, the store will offer 20% to 30% off once for a while, and free shipping for speding over $25. Hatcher, you should take advantage of this deal.
hatcher wrote: Hockey Player. The hockey player comes with a stick, a puck, skates, a new designed helmet with face shield, and shoulder pads. I expect he's more popular here in Canada then in the US, but we Canucks love our hockey.
I really like the idea of having hockey player in cmf series; however, I found that somehow this hockey player is not as popular as I expected. Would it be related to the overall design. Is the helmet too bulky or not alike? Or the printing on the torso is too simple?
hatcher wrote: In my opinion, this is the best set so far, although the other sets have been pretty good. The increase in MSRP was annoying, but what can you do? Let's hope series 5 isn't $3.99. If you haven't been bit by the collectible minifigure bug, or have somehow managed to resist getting sucked in, you're a stronger man than I. Can't wait for series 5, and 6.
I agree. It is the best among the four sets. Very outstanding. Even though there are only 2 minifigures which I don't like, I still keep two full sets of it, plus some extra.

yeti79
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by yeti79 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:10 am

Probably my least favorite series as of now. I think the Musketeer is the best of the bunch