Borders to liquidate entire inventory

Share your LEGO Sales and LEGO Deals Finds here.
Forum rules
Please remember that Store Pricing topics should be placed in the "Retailer Discussions" Forum. If you find new LEGO products (and not on sale), please post in the "LEGO Availability" Forum.
wagnerml2
Citizen
Citizen

Borders to liquidate entire inventory

Post by wagnerml2 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:15 pm

Borders has failed to garner any bids after it's bankruptcy and is electing to completely liquidate and go out of business.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2011/07/18/ ... liquidate/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I used to buy alot from Borders before they exempted Lego (Toys) from their coupons. They always add a premium to the sets, but in a liquidation sale, there might be some deals to be had.....stay tuned!

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Re: Borders to liquidate entire inventory

Post by atmail35 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:21 pm

In the past I have found that the Lego sets do not last past the first round of markdowns (so 20%), which barely covers the markup. I don't understand who is buying the sets at or a few % points below MSRP when they can go to TRU and get B1G1 50% off, it boggles my mind!

I posted this in the other thread in "retailer" but does anyone suspect that Borders can either return the Lego stock or that they sell it to a reseller like Goodwill/Tuesday Morning at just above what they paid to get more $$? I just don't get who is buying these things at the high prices, I guess the word "liquidation" gets people to buy b/c they think they are getting a good deal.

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:25 pm

atmail35 wrote:I just don't get who is buying these things at the high prices, I guess the word "liquidation" gets people to buy b/c they think they are getting a good deal.
Yeah, I don't get it either. It's like people who buy sets just because it has a "clearance" label slapped on it even though it's stil MSRP.

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by natelite » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:25 am

The only logical explanation is that not everyone is as price savvy as us. :D

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:55 am

Funny thing.
I worked at Kohls for awhile, and people would pay more for stuff on clearance, than when it was on sale, just because it was on "clearance"
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

Zeya
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Zeya » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:01 am

ncbarrett wrote:Funny thing.
I worked at Kohls for awhile, and people would pay more for stuff on clearance, than when it was on sale, just because it was on "clearance"
Yeah marketing, eh?

My favorite thing is when they have ads on TV for "free credit report dot com", which is a minor scam because they charge money. But there is a law that they must allow you all 3 credit agency reports for free once every year. And to do that you go through the real site: AnnualCreditReport.com . I don't know if Canadians have the same thing or what, this is just the USA afaik.

Bit of a tangent there, sorry. I just feel the need to let people know about this every now and then.

lukeskywalker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lukeskywalker » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:51 am

Zeya wrote:
ncbarrett wrote:Funny thing.
Yeah marketing, eh?

My favorite thing is when they have ads on TV for "free credit report dot com", which is a minor scam because they charge money. But there is a law that they must allow you all 3 credit agency reports for free once every year. And to do that you go through the real site: AnnualCreditReport.com . I don't know if Canadians have the same thing or what, this is just the USA afaik.

Bit of a tangent there, sorry. I just feel the need to let people know about this every now and then.
if they didn't charge money, why would they advertise?

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Re: Borders to liquidate entire inventory STARTING 7/22

Post by atmail35 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:48 pm

http://ebm.e.borders.com/c/tag/hBOKNiQA ... A_20110721" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Liquidation starts Friday the 22nd. Gift cards are valid (but I'd still use them up ASAP). Rewards Plus discounts through 8/4 (the 5th will probably be when they move to the next level of discount).

Borders Bucks earned can be used until 7/31, which seems to mean those earned and available on Aug 1st will NOT be available for use :(

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Re: Borders to liquidate entire inventory STARTING 7/22

Post by Mantisking » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:06 pm

atmail35 wrote:Liquidation starts Friday the 22nd. Gift cards are valid (but I'd still use them up ASAP). Rewards Plus discounts through 8/4 (the 5th will probably be when they move to the next level of discount).
Looks like I'm on a scouting mission tomorrow.
atmail35 wrote:Borders Bucks earned can be used until 7/31, which seems to mean those earned and available on Aug 1st will NOT be available for use :(
Crap.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:18 am

I'm now wondering if they will make those Borders Bucks available until 7/31 I'm going to ask.

lukeskywalker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lukeskywalker » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:03 am

I'm glad I didn't buy the membership, back in november.

eriochrome
Citizen
Citizen

Post by eriochrome » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:40 am

I bought a membership when they had a deal last year in Nov and Dec and I am sure it paid itself back easily since the cost was only like 10 dollars after the initial 20 dollars was refunded with 10 dollars in borders bucks. So 100 dollars spent covered it and I easily spent that on legos not including books. I would guess I saved about 10-15 dollars more than I paid in the last 8 months. Not huge but worth it.

lukeskywalker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lukeskywalker » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:51 am

eriochrome wrote:I bought a membership when they had a deal last year in Nov and Dec and I am sure it paid itself back easily since the cost was only like 10 dollars after the initial 20 dollars was refunded with 10 dollars in borders bucks. So 100 dollars spent covered it and I easily spent that on legos not including books. I would guess I saved about 10-15 dollars more than I paid in the last 8 months. Not huge but worth it.
Yes, But I don't go to borders that much.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:23 am

I went and most stuff (including Toys) were only 10% off. I saw a lady buying 3 HP Lego Sets. I would have told her she could get them cheaper at TRU but I didn't want to be a nosey nellie. Anyway the line was huge, like 30 people deep by the time I left! Ther were only 4 people ahead of me when I checked out.

Magazines were 40% off. Kids books were 10% off. The Lego had not been labeled but I'm thinking it is only 10% off. Even at 20-30% off it still is overpriced.

Paperbacks I think were only 10% off, CDs/DVDs were 20% off. I got a few magazines and called it a day.

I asked about my Borders Bucks that are "available 8/1" and the cashier had no idea if/when I would be able to use them. She said she could see them on my account but they were "not available". I guess I'll check back on Aug 1st.

GuaranteedUnity
Knight
Knight

Post by GuaranteedUnity » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:45 pm

Everything I've seen has indicated that all Border Bucks expire 07/31.

You might be able to fight with customer service to redeem them early, but otherwise I think you can pretty much kiss them goodbye.

The queue at my local store was pretty insane this morning, which I found surprising considering how weak the discounts were.

Still, I did end up picking up some toys, because I didn't think there was any hope of them making it to a better discount during liquidation, and because the only other place I'd been able to find them was online, with the Plus and token liquidation discounts pretty much cancelling out S&H. Was pretty surprised when they ended up ringing up at 30% off instead (+ an extra 10% through Plus membership), so it might be worth double checking those LEGO sets if they're not labelled.

One interesting thing, though: both tellers I went up to made a point of telling me that the extra 10% discount from Plus membership was only good through mid-August (14th?), so if you're holding out

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:52 pm

GuaranteedUnity wrote:Still, I did end up picking up some toys, because I didn't think there was any hope of them making it to a better discount during liquidation, and because the only other place I'd been able to find them was online, with the Plus and token liquidation discounts pretty much cancelling out S&H. Was pretty surprised when they ended up ringing up at 30% off instead (+ an extra 10% through Plus membership), so it might be worth double checking those LEGO sets if they're not labelled.

One interesting thing, though: both tellers I went up to made a point of telling me that the extra 10% discount from Plus membership was only good through mid-August (14th?), so if you're holding out
The CEO's letter said Rewards Plus would be honored through August 4th only, so that is interesting. I don't think the employees know much about what is going on, I felt pretty bad for them actually.

I wish Borders had scanners, because with those crazy lines I don't want to wait and hope it scans in at less.

I did find this for 30% off: http://www.funtocollect.com/starwarspri ... ehead.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Princess Leia Bobblehead. ;)

The Hello Kitty Mystery Packs were 30% off (so $2.45 before Plus). Niether of those two things were marked as 30% off. The cashier was surprised that they weren't only 10% off.

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:35 pm

atmail35 wrote:Magazines were 40% off. Kids books were 10% off. The Lego had not been labeled but I'm thinking it is only 10% off. Even at 20-30% off it still is overpriced.
I got a CMF today, the Lego is 10% off.

GuaranteedUnity
Knight
Knight

Post by GuaranteedUnity » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:27 pm

atmail35 wrote:The CEO's letter said Rewards Plus would be honored through August 4th only, so that is interesting.
It's entirely possible I misheard.
atmail35 wrote:I don't think the employees know much about what is going on,
I don't think they do either. Even the store manager at my local was stumped when questioned.
atmail35 wrote:I felt pretty bad for them actually.
There are definitely some staffers at my local store that I feel really bad for, as they were obviously not working at Borders for any reason other than a deep and genuine love of books. Sadder still, are reports from friends who frequent a different borders about staff behind the registers in tears as they rang people up.
atmail35 wrote:I did find this for 30% off: http://www.funtocollect.com/starwarspri ... ehead.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Princess Leia Bobblehead. ;)
Strangely enough, that's what I bought! Well, not Leia, but the Stormtrooper. And then my kid talked me into getting the very Stewie Griffin-esque Vader bobble-head, too (I'm sure you can imagine how much arm twisting that took ;)).

Image Image

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:33 pm

GuaranteedUnity wrote:Strangely enough, that's what I bought! Well, not Leia, but the Stormtrooper. And then my kid talked me into getting the very Stewie Griffin-esque Vader bobble-head, too (I'm sure you can imagine how much arm twisting that took ;)).
You are right it does look like Stewie Griffin....I went back today to get a Stormtrooper and they were gone. I got another Darth Vader for a gift and almost bought Chewbacca, but he looked weird to me so I passed. We also got yoda the other day, they seem like they could be good gifts for SW fans.

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:43 am

atmail35 wrote:You are right it does look like Stewie Griffin....I went back today to get a Stormtrooper and they were gone. I got another Darth Vader for a gift and almost bought Chewbacca, but he looked weird to me so I passed. We also got yoda the other day, they seem like they could be good gifts for SW fans.
Have the discounts changed yet?