[USA] Amazon.com - Medieval Market Village 10% off

Share your LEGO Sales and LEGO Deals Finds here.
Forum rules
Please remember that Store Pricing topics should be placed in the "Retailer Discussions" Forum. If you find new LEGO products (and not on sale), please post in the "LEGO Availability" Forum.
meyerc13
Knight
Knight

[USA] Amazon.com - Medieval Market Village 10% off

Post by meyerc13 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:56 pm

Amazon.com is selling the Medieval Market Village for $89.86 right now, with free shipping, which is about 10% off msrp. I've been waiting to pick one of these up, and had $10 coming back from LEGO VIP, but they don't have free shipping right now. I was ready to pay the full price to get it at Amazon with free shipping, but was happily surprised to see it was 10% off.

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: [USA] Amazon.com - Medieval Market Village 10% off

Post by natelite » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:10 pm

i suppose if people were unable to nab this set during tru's bogo 50% or b2g1 deals... this would be a nice alternative.

keithk
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by keithk » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:23 pm

Nice, thanks!

BrickUpdate
Knight
Knight

Post by BrickUpdate » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:35 pm

Nice! Considering buying this - it would be my second one. Such a great set, and a good deal for the money. How big do I need my village to be? Also - this set really goes well with the 2011 Castle sets coming out.

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:00 pm

What happen? I just checked with the link and the price is $140.18 ?

super12
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by super12 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:19 pm

you are too late.. that's what happened

meyerc13
Knight
Knight

Post by meyerc13 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:43 pm

Looks like Amazon sold out, now they are only available via third party Amazon sellers. At the time I'm writing this, there appears to be one returned set in the Amazon Warehouse: http://www.amazon.com/LEGO%C2%AE-Castle ... 589&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:31 pm

Eh, I'd pay the extra $10 rather than buy a used set on amazon IMO.
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.

gabriellee11
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by gabriellee11 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:38 pm

It seems that this set will be discontinued anytime soon....walmart, target and amazon seems to be sold out...your only chance is legoshop.com....I think that if you really want it..buy it now at legoshop.com

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:22 pm

gabriellee11 wrote:It seems that this set will be discontinued anytime soon....walmart, target and amazon seems to be sold out...your only chance is legoshop.com....I think that if you really want it..buy it now at legoshop.com
Thx for the info. I was asking myself "When will this set be discontinued?"

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:34 pm

Ya I've known this set was gonna be d/c at any time as well... just been trying to snag it on a discount...

This and Fire Brigade and Grand Emporium are on the Soon-To-Be-D/C list as well... wish I could find a sale... even 10% :(
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:59 pm

Luciant wrote:Ya I've known this set was gonna be d/c at any time as well... just been trying to snag it on a discount...

This and Fire Brigade and Grand Emporium are on the Soon-To-Be-D/C list as well... wish I could find a sale... even 10% :(
Same in here. I am looking for 10% off plus free shipping offer. I prefer to receive free shipping rather than the not so attractive city police boat

BrickUpdate
Knight
Knight

Post by BrickUpdate » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:07 am

Many stores haven't done much restocking of these 'special sets' since they sold out before Christmas - sets such as Medieval Market Village, Death Star, etc. But I don't know if that means retirement. Death Star seems to still be in all of the LEGO promotional material for 2011 - single or double page spreads in their catalog, etc.

It's kind of like anything else: if you really want it, just buy it. Why? Because for most of these sets, the trend is: the prices skyrocket on the secondary market the moment they are retired. Not 10%, but 50%. And then not long after, even more.

The blog "a modular life" recently asked: is their tulip mania with the secondary market for the modular houses - Green Grocer, etc. Is their really demand for paying $450 for the set on eBay the moment it was retired? Is this sustainable?

Anyhow - I just found it all interesting. If Amazon put Death Star on sale for 10% off - a $40 savings, we would all RUSH to buy it. But for $40, we all sit here and wait. (me included). Clearly - it will be retired someday, and clearly it will skyrocket to $600 or $800 in the aftermarket right away. And yet, we wait....

Sorry for the early morning rant! Thanks everyone.

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by natelite » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:29 am

the thread i posted about RR 12% cb on target.com purchase plus 10% off coupon plus 5% target red discount would have netted you 24% off msrp. mmv, fb, ge, ucs ds are all listed on target.com as available. no point ranting here that you can't get it for 10% off when you could have gotten it for 24% off + free shipping. not now of course when the promo has expired but...

human behavior really confuddles me.

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:44 am

Some of us don't want to have to 1) apply for credit, or 2) jump through a, to get to b, to go under c, to go around back to d, to finally make it to e.

You are pretty hostile about this when it's simple commentary on how there is no 'regular' deals that you either don't have to have a special credit card/apply for one to get. I'm not going to switch my insurance to AAA just to get a special discount on Lego, etc.

Thanks for being such a nice fellow compassionate deal-hunter... geez someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

atoultaro
Peasant
Peasant

Post by atoultaro » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:06 am

Luciant wrote: ...You are pretty hostile about this when it's simple commentary on how there is no 'regular' deals that you either don't have to have a special credit card/apply for one to get. I'm not going to switch my insurance to AAA just to get a special discount on Lego, etc...
No offense, just curious, who's pretty hostile offering his/her 2 cent? :?

stevenkok
Peasant
Peasant

Post by stevenkok » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:28 am

Everyone please don't misunderstood natelite. She is just basically saying that "beggars can't be choosers" When there is a way to get more discount, it usually requires some "extra work". Rarely does it just comes to our platter, if you know what I mean. Lego is a well known product and when there is some extra work to get some discount. I would take it anytime. Thanks in advance to everyone that posted deals. I know how much the extra work you all put in without compensated or appreciate by people here. :-)

super12
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by super12 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:11 pm

BrickUpdate... i kinda agree and echo your comment on that sit around to wait for the 40 bucks off...

when you think about it, it's just so weird we would not think twice when we go get a 4 bucks coffee from starbucks, but yet, we will keep reading review after review after review on a 1.99 iphone app...

i agree with your "if you really want it, just buy it"... because the chances are you will just want it even more when it's D/C... by then you would actually willing to pay $40+ more to get it from 2nd market

slisa51
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by slisa51 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:50 pm

I don't see what the big deal is about applying for a credit card. I got my target card at the checkout lane in 2 minutes. It's not like you are applying for a home equity loan to buy a Lego set. It's a nice credit card to have and they sell everything there. I got 147.00 off an iPad at Christmas this year and buy all other stuff for the house. There are some stores that I piggyback 3 or 4 deals and save 40% to 50% off. So if it's not worth the trouble to go through a few minutes of work to save 30 or 40 bucks on a toy, money must be no object so why would you be browsing a sales and deals page in the first place.

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:06 pm

My take on it is this: While sets are continued to be produced, there is basically no reason to buy a set without it being on discount first is my counter-point to Brickupdate. For me it isn't just an issue of saving "$40". It's the mentality of every little bit adds up. I had bought some IJ sets at MSRP and was 'happy' about it cuz they are discontinued. "It's kind of like anything else: if you really want it, just buy it. " Right?

By that line of reasoning, I would have been happy/accepted that. Well keeping the "always wanting to get at least 10% off or more" I ended up returning them, and repurchasing during BOGO 50%, with some other sets, and ended up getting about $160-$200 bucks back.

I completely agree though that it IS a balancing act of finally deciding to say "It's not worth risking it being d/c and having to pay the 50% mark-up". But I would also say, that this only happens for some sets. The Star Wars line, Creator Line, and any buidings basically instantly jump ridiculously. Is the price "sustainable" at 50% markup? Most certainly. Is a 50% markup sustainable on say: the Atlantis set? Probably not. It's not a widely desired. Just basic supply and demand, and economics says that the lack of supply will keep those prices high unless very similar cheaper alternatives are available.

As for the credit card, there are several reasons. If you have a good credit mix and credit score, applying for another card can effect your score and lower it rather than raise it. This is defiantly not a smart thing to do, when trying or before trying to get a mortgage as it could jeopardize you being approved. Not to mention the interest rates on store cards are terrible (yes i know you can pay balance off in full to avoid interest), have terrible terms and conditions, and ultimately I don't feel comfortable 'selling my Social Security number' for 5% off.. Also, Lego isn't just an adult thing, nor should savings on purchasing it be so...

While I DO appreciate the tips on how certain credit cards can give you a discount, I just believe in finding other methods/means of discounts as well... I don't want to have 5 different "store cards" just for special discounts...Although the Target card would be the one to have IMO so long as you don't carry a balance/pay interest. I just prefer not having to mess with my credit score just to buy Lego.