[USA] Borders Liquidation Sale

Share your LEGO Sales and LEGO Deals Finds here.
Forum rules
Please remember that Store Pricing topics should be placed in the "Retailer Discussions" Forum. If you find new LEGO products (and not on sale), please post in the "LEGO Availability" Forum.
brixter
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by brixter » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:21 am

And I just upgraded to the "Plus" rewards on Friday morning. Lots of store closings...does this mean extra sales?

http://www.bordersreorganization.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Ice on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split topic from "Border's in-store only coupon roundup (33-50% off)"

marcusloignon
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: [USA] Borders Liquidation Sale

Post by marcusloignon » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:57 pm

My store is closing.

Bricksnapper52
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Bricksnapper52 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:02 pm

I've read that clearance sales could begin on Friday the 18th.

Not sure if they will still honor coupons. But the way the article read it seems like they will.

gabriellee11
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by gabriellee11 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:42 pm

Coupons are for regular price items only. So, if your store is closing and have something on sale/clearance...they wont honor the coupon. I tried some months ago to buy something that is on clearance with the coupon and they said I cant use the coupon...needs to be regular price as stated in the coupon.

unbornchikken
Citizen
Citizen

Post by unbornchikken » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:32 pm

Went down to the store in Tustin, CA by the District, the store nearest me that is on the list to be closed down.

They definitely looked like they were liquidating, except for the fact that the furniture was specifically marked to say that those weren't for sale. That said, the LEGOs I saw weren't on sale (as far as I know). The selection wasn't very good anyway. Unlike the store in Mission Viejo, CA, this one didn't get any 2011 sets. There were some PoP Ostrich Races, HP Freeing Dobby, SW Battle Packs and some other random older sets. They also had a bunch of S2 Minifigs, but there were no Spartans (I checked).

It's also worth noting that they're not accepting coupons like the 33%/40%/50% coupons linked above.

I probably went a little too early before the store-wide price cuts took effect, but given the selection there I personally probably won't be going back regardless.
Last edited by Ice on Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split topic from "Border's in-store only coupon roundup (33-50% off)"

BrickUpdate
Knight
Knight

Post by BrickUpdate » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:03 am

For Borders stores that are set to close, they are starting their sales today, with discounts of 20-40% across the store with "limited" exceptions. They are not accepting coupons (as was mentioned), no returns, etc.

Borders prices on LEGO usually have a very high markup - WAY higher than TRU on most sets, though not all.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:29 am

BrickUpdate wrote:For Borders stores that are set to close, they are starting their sales today, with discounts of 20-40% across the store with "limited" exceptions. They are not accepting coupons (as was mentioned), no returns, etc.

Borders prices on LEGO usually have a very high markup - WAY higher than TRU on most sets, though not all.
20-40% off doesn't seem like a great deal, especially since they offered a 40% off coupon just last week and with the Plus 10% that was a way better deal. I doubt that Toys (including Lego) are at 40% right away, but I could be wrong.

I think in general the public gets sucked into these "liquidation" sales and they overspend on items that they probably could get at Amazon or at other stores on-sale for better prices. I bet the Lego doesn't last long even if the price is overinflated to start with.

Since the closest store to me is staying open, I'll stick with just buying with the coupon if it still works out to a decent deal....at least as long as those coupons last.

BrickUpdate
Knight
Knight

Post by BrickUpdate » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:05 pm

I went to a local Borders that is NOT closing, and everyone on line had a coupon in there hand. I have to say, I'm not sure how long the other stores will last when everyone buys only one item, at 33% off.

brixter
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by brixter » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:55 pm

I went to a Borders that IS closing. That place was mobbed!! The longest line I've ever seen in any bookstore.

Here's the breakdown: everything is at least 20% off - All toys 20% off, CD's 20% off, DVD's 20% off, most books 20% off (except the bargain ones are more discounted), magazines 40% off, stationery 40% off... They do accept a Rewards plus discount on top of the liquidation sale price. So, if you wanted to buy Legos from a closing store (I would not recommend doing this yet) and you have a Rewards plus card the total discount is 28%. You cannot use ANY coupons in a store that is closing. So, given that there is a 33/40% coupon out there (which would give you a better discount), you can't use it at that store. And yet, the place was mobbed with people getting 20/28% discounts - go figure. I'll check back next weekend, maybe then things will get into a better discount zone.

This was the 57 Street/Park Avenue store in Manhattan. A short walk down the street and you could go to the Columbus Circle store and use the latest coupon.

tppytel
I'm New !

Post by tppytel » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:44 pm

Exactly the same deal here in Chicago, including the long line. And as brixter said, this seemed like a pretty poor deal to me. 20% off of full price plus tax (especially here) is no better than I'd get from Amazon with free Prime shipping and no tax. Lego-wise, our store still had plenty at midday today, but there weren't any sets that I was excited about - a few SW sets, some Toy Story stuff, and some Space Police. There were no big sets that made the discount seem more worthwhile.

It was very disappointing. I figured the Legos would be a comparatively poor deal, but I had at least hoped to find a few books cheap enough to impulse buy.

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:20 pm

I got an e-mail today about the Boston (Back Bay), MA store closing sale. No word on the Burlington, MA store yet.

SpaceViking
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceViking » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:16 pm

Mantisking wrote:I got an e-mail today about the Boston (Back Bay), MA store closing sale. No word on the Burlington, MA store yet.
Sadly, the Burlington store is on its way out too.
http://www.bordersreorganization.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GuaranteedUnity
Knight
Knight

Post by GuaranteedUnity » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:05 pm

SH1 wrote:
Mantisking wrote:No word on the Burlington, MA store yet.
Sadly, the Burlington store is on its way out too.
That one could be seen a mile off -- they're too far from the mall for casual walk-ins, and they were already seeing such little patronage that they would sometimes close an hour or two early.

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:58 pm

Mantisking wrote:I got an e-mail today about the Boston (Back Bay), MA store closing sale. No word on the Burlington, MA store yet.
SH1 wrote:Sadly, the Burlington store is on its way out too.
That I knew, I was commenting on the fact there was no notification of the closing sale yet.
GuaranteedUnity wrote:That one could be seen a mile off -- they're too far from the mall for casual walk-ins, and they were already seeing such little patronage that they would sometimes close an hour or two early.
That, and there's a B&N in Burlington. Which is why they closed the Nashua store as well.

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:30 am

BrickUpdate wrote:I went to a local Borders that is NOT closing, and everyone on line had a coupon in there hand. I have to say, I'm not sure how long the other stores will last when everyone buys only one item, at 33% off.
Opposite here. I didn't seen anyone with a coupon. And the line was mad long. This store is closing and it looked like it was making good money.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:40 pm

My borders is closing...just as they started having LEGO...Saddest thing in the world. Literally the day I went was the day they declared, but I used my coupon before it was announced!
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:40 pm

Today I went into the Boston (Back Bay) store that is closing. They are currently at 20% off and they still have about an eight foot section of Lego in stock. I did see an empty series two minifig box though.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:57 am

I also stopped by Back Bay this weekend, more out of curiosity and I happened to be in town. It's not surprising that the Legos are still there. 20% off a set that is marked up 26% (Woody's Round Up) is just fantastic huh?

Also they were marking the upc codes w/ a sharpie (I got my daughter a book)...so not great if you are buying a gift, especially for the books.

I was able to get the add'l 10% w/ rewards Plus.

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:47 am

atmail35 wrote:I was able to get the add'l 10% w/ rewards Plus.
Same here (I bought a book I found interesting).

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:25 pm

I received an e-mail a day or two ago saying that the Back Bay/Boston store is now 25% to 50% off....which likely means that Lego is still only 25% off. :(