Border's in-store only coupon roundup (33-50% off)

Share your LEGO Sales and LEGO Deals Finds here.
Forum rules
Please remember that Store Pricing topics should be placed in the "Retailer Discussions" Forum. If you find new LEGO products (and not on sale), please post in the "LEGO Availability" Forum.
atmail35
Duke
Duke

Re: Border's in-store only coupon roundup (33-50% off)

Post by atmail35 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:13 am

GuaranteedUnity wrote:It's possible that because it's a 40% in-store AND there's a LEGO event tomorrow, that they intentionally took LEGO off the table to maximize profit. We'll know Tuesday, but I'm not holding my breath...
I think you might be right, if people go to the Lego event they are hoping they will pick up something if the kids are pestering the parents to buy something :lol:

On that note I was also thinking that back when they had the 40% last time, I used it on the HP Hogwarts. I had a tough time at the register b/c there was another coupon floating around for the same time period that said "excludes toys and games". My coupon did not say that but the clerk had a printed one at the register he was trying to scan b/c I showed him my coupon on my smartphone. Anyway he was able to use the coupon from my phone. Maybe some people get the "excludes toys" and some do not? I checked my e-mail and it does exclude toys.

So I'm hoping the coupons come back for toys, maybe they are just scaling back on the frequency....they are on to us. ;)

Of course I will have $5 borders bucks for April and now I might have to buy a book (shudder).

eriochrome
Citizen
Citizen

Post by eriochrome » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:00 am

I doubt it will be just for the weekend. They used to have book only coupons so maybe we will see an occassional toy one that does not exclude lego. While the deals were not 50% clearence level they were good prices for essentially a constant item promotion.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:13 am

I clicked the banner below on this site and it's giving the coupon that expired on 3/24....odd. At first I didn't notice the date and saw that toys weren't excluded...oh well false alarm!

lukeskywalker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lukeskywalker » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:42 pm

atmail35 wrote:
I think you might be right, if people go to the Lego event they are hoping they will pick up something if the kids are pestering the parents to buy something :lol:
I was there, to pick up a series 3 cmf. and I saw at least 50 people bought lego. One kid even tried to convince his mom that the battlepacks were part of the same set, so he should get both. I found out at the cash register that the coupons didn't work on lego :( . All this after spending half an hour trying to get the samurai. I want it, but not 4$ worth of want. Oh well, Hope they change it back. It wasn't a total loss, I got the free racers car. BTW I will trade it.

brixter
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by brixter » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:04 am

I don't know if anybody got a different one, but the fine print on my latest coupon offer from Borders excluded toys and games. I am officially not holding my breath anymore.

wkunert
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by wkunert » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:41 am

eriochrome wrote:I doubt it will be just for the weekend.
Yes, the new 33% off coupon makes it looks like toy exclusions are the new normal. I foresee them occasionally having toy-only coupons, but this thread's about to take a plunge to the bottom. My kids went to the event last weekend, which was OK, not crowded like a Lego store event.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:45 am

wkunert wrote:Yes, the new 33% off coupon makes it looks like toy exclusions are the new normal. I foresee them occasionally having toy-only coupons, but this thread's about to take a plunge to the bottom.
The coupon in my e-mail also had the exclusion. I'm hoping that Borders will release some that are applicable on toys/games at least periodically. I don't need to buy toys every week but once in a while is nice for b'day gifts and Lego too. Oh well it was nice while it lasted.

I guess I won't be going to Borders for a while.

wagnerml2
Citizen
Citizen

Post by wagnerml2 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:48 pm

My guess is that this policy was changed as a result of Borders bankruptcy. The creditors are trying to cut cornets to make the company more profitable.

brixter
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by brixter » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:40 am

wagnerml2 wrote:My guess is that this policy was changed as a result of Borders bankruptcy. The creditors are trying to cut cornets to make the company more profitable.
If this were the case, why have a continuous 33% coupon at all? My mind is boggled by them.

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:54 am

brixter wrote:If this were the case, why have a continuous 33% coupon at all? My mind is boggled by them.
It's a loss-leader to get people into the stores and shopping.

GuaranteedUnity
Knight
Knight

Post by GuaranteedUnity » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:29 pm

I'm wary of JPEGs, but no exclusions!

50% off - http://i55.tinypic.com/2epkbgm.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, exp 05/07
- Effectively 55% off with Rewards Plus membership.

Nannan
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Nannan » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:51 pm

Coupons states that only originals are accepted. I tried to use the photocopied version but it was rejected.

brixter
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by brixter » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:44 am

Nannan wrote:Coupons states that only originals are accepted. I tried to use the photocopied version but it was rejected.
Can you print out that jpeg that GuaranteedUnity posted? Does anyone know where the original was published?

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:14 am

I don't think I'm going to attempt the coupon, it's a pretty bad scan - it looks wavy, like it wasn't laying flat on the scanner. I wonder where it came from, it looks like it was in a flyer or something. On Black Friday Borders had an insert in the newspaper that was glossy and had a 50% off coupon and a coupon for a free coffee.

I'd love to know where the original coupon can be found though.

lukeskywalker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lukeskywalker » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:45 am

This one should work. It's still a jpeg, but the scan is pretty good. I heard that they were handing these out in flyers at closing stores
and the linkhttp://www.buxr.com/uploads/coupon/8128 ... pon_50.jpg

peanut
Knight
Knight

Post by peanut » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:03 pm

Has anyone tried to use this one on your phone instead of a hard copy? I see that it says original coupon must be handed over.

Nannan
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Nannan » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:08 pm

lukeskywalker wrote:This one should work. It's still a jpeg, but the scan is pretty good. I heard that they were handing these out in flyers at closing stores
http://www.buxr.com/uploads/coupon/8128 ... pon_50.jpg
Can someone verify that this coupon works? I'm not about to make another trip to Borders and have them reject a non-original copy again.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:28 pm

I have not tried it, I don't want to be embarassed when I'm told they can't take it! I saw on Slickdeals that it appears that coupons were handed out at checkout of CLOSING stores to encourage you to find another store to use. My guess is that a printed copy won't fly if it was on glossy paper.

I don't want the question of "where did you get this" and for me to have to lie ;) I'm not sure if it will work on one's phone, then you have to claim you got it via e-mail.

stevenkok
Peasant
Peasant

Post by stevenkok » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:00 pm

I just use in a Borders store in Mesa, AZ. The clerk have some trouble scanning it but in the end having to input and highlight the code manually. Got meself the HP Hagrid hut for only $7, afterr the 50% coupon and $15 Borders bucks. Thanks to whoever that scan the coupon for us to use. :D

fraslund
I'm New !

Post by fraslund » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:16 pm

atmail35 wrote:I have not tried it, I don't want to be embarassed when I'm told they can't take it! I saw on Slickdeals that it appears that coupons were handed out at checkout of CLOSING stores to encourage you to find another store to use. My guess is that a printed copy won't fly if it was on glossy paper.

I don't want the question of "where did you get this" and for me to have to lie ;) I'm not sure if it will work on one's phone, then you have to claim you got it via e-mail.
I was told it was fake today at checkout lol. oh well.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fraslund/6 ... hotostream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;