LEGO 10230 Mini Modulars Press Release

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
atmail35
Duke
Duke

Re: LEGO 10230 Mini Modulars Press Release

Post by atmail35 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:04 pm

I agree that at $80 the price is steep, but I'm a sucker for "mini" versions of bigger toys. I also like how you get all 5 at once and it probably is a better value this way, if they sold each one for $20-25, you'd be paying a lot more than $80. I also believe that if it is successful they will add on the new modulars like the pet shop as single sets down the road.

I like the concept and will be buying it. I'll try to wait for a month where they have a cool freebie w/ purchase or double points or something like others have said.

Anyone know if this is on-line exclusive or if the B&M LEGO Store will carrry it? I really wonder if they will ask you for your VIP card to prove membership. Seems kind of silly that they are calling it a VIP exclusive when anyone can be a VIP member!

Perhaps they should have made it an MBA Member exclusive since that might encourage people to buy the MBA kits.

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:38 pm

Looks nice. Not sure I would get it for $99 CAD.

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:20 am

dr_spock wrote:Looks nice. Not sure I would get it for $99 CAD.
Agree. Nice set...but too expensive. Most likely, I may save up the money for a regular modular set even I am out of space.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:03 am

looks great.
$80 is a fair price.
Will get this for sure.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:14 am

atmail35 wrote:Seems kind of silly that they are calling it a VIP exclusive when anyone can be a VIP member!
It's an incentive to become a VIP member. Sure, they lose a little bit of money ever-so-often when you use VIP points, but it's a loyalty program - they're getting your business directly when you have the option to buy something anywhere.

That said, I'm not sure this will incentivize anyone to become a VIP member - I'd wager most people who are interested in this set are already VIP members.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by natelite » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:52 am

as with anything exclusive, rational thinking goes out the window. i can probably sell 10x 1x4 bricks by calling it lego exclusives and giving it a 400xx serial number. just see the thread about the brick built apple given free in lego stores in oct. so many folks are already lining up to get it "free" with $75 purchase.

at least this set looks nice when built. definitely expecting it to sell out at $80.

pumbaugh
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by pumbaugh » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:01 am

I must say I think the brick apple is brilliant for a polybag! Its practically the same size as a real apple and the core is removable from the top! I was delighted to pay 9.99 in NYC for it over the summer when I saw it there. And I'm pretty sure it is bigger across than these mini-modulars....5 8x8 plate buildings only takes up 1/3 of the first floor of a full size modular and most of the full size modulars are three floors!

Again, not saying I won't purchase this set, but its only about the size of the sidewalk of the grand emporium ;)

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:47 am

vynsane wrote:
atmail35 wrote:Seems kind of silly that they are calling it a VIP exclusive when anyone can be a VIP member!
It's an incentive to become a VIP member. Sure, they lose a little bit of money ever-so-often when you use VIP points, but it's a loyalty program - they're getting your business directly when you have the option to buy something anywhere.

That said, I'm not sure this will incentivize anyone to become a VIP member - I'd wager most people who are interested in this set are already VIP members.
I get that they are trying to encourage people to sign up for the VIP program, although I thought the program "sold it self" because who isn't a member if you go to the LEGO store more than once a year? ;-) But they must exist and be the target audience. I agree that most people who probably would buy this set are already VIP members so that's why I think this marketing campaign is weak at best. And it's not like the VIP program is something you pay dues or fees for, KWIM?

Zeya
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Zeya » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:21 am

I think what is more exciting than the set itself is the fact that TLG is giving some special service to VIP members. It's not like VIP is really all that exclusive, but it's nice to have a little bonus for playing along with the program. I think there was a question in one of the recent online surveys about exclusive bonus-type things like this.

I wonder if they will sell these in stores. If they put it on the shelf, would they really double check that you are in fact a VIP member? (Would random people off the street get angry if they made them join VIP at the counter?)

pumbaugh
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by pumbaugh » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:47 am

Obviously this is a brilliant marketing ploy by LEGO...they act like its exclusive and you must join VIP in order to get it...so not only do they use an "exclusive" price point but it makes you join the VIP club...both profitable angles by LEGO. Their VIP program is not intended to give you discounts....it is to entice you to buy more because you think you are getting a special deal by earnign points, but you get the equivalent of 5% back for every 100 you spend...just like a bogo deal, savvy customers won't buy more than they absolutely want or need, but I have seen others that MUST buy another set eventhough they have no need for it...ie birthday present, and you end up walking out with something for the b-day boy and yourself ;) Not to totally knock the program as with wise shoppers it will give them a few more cents back in their pockets every purchase, but overall for LEGO it is intended to get you to buy more and masked as a service they are giving to the VIP members.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:14 pm

pumbaugh wrote:Obviously this is a brilliant marketing ploy by LEGO...they act like its exclusive and you must join VIP in order to get it...so not only do they use an "exclusive" price point but it makes you join the VIP club...both profitable angles by LEGO. Their VIP program is not intended to give you discounts....it is to entice you to buy more because you think you are getting a special deal by earnign points, but you get the equivalent of 5% back for every 100 you spend...just like a bogo deal, savvy customers won't buy more than they absolutely want or need, but I have seen others that MUST buy another set eventhough they have no need for it...ie birthday present, and you end up walking out with something for the b-day boy and yourself ;) Not to totally knock the program as with wise shoppers it will give them a few more cents back in their pockets every purchase, but overall for LEGO it is intended to get you to buy more and masked as a service they are giving to the VIP members.
You mean like every sale in any store? :mrgreen:
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

pumbaugh
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by pumbaugh » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:27 pm

Absolutely :) But you have to admit to seeing people even on these very boards that say they are going to buy it at a LEGO store for more because of the VIP points, so the program succeeds...some sales are simply to clear out inventory or generate cash flow...but that is often not the case with major b&m's.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:35 pm

pumbaugh wrote:Obviously this is a brilliant marketing ploy by LEGO...they act like its exclusive and you must join VIP in order to get it...so not only do they use an "exclusive" price point but it makes you join the VIP club...both profitable angles by LEGO. Their VIP program is not intended to give you discounts....it is to entice you to buy more because you think you are getting a special deal by earnign points, but you get the equivalent of 5% back for every 100 you spend...just like a bogo deal, savvy customers won't buy more than they absolutely want or need, but I have seen others that MUST buy another set eventhough they have no need for it...ie birthday present, and you end up walking out with something for the b-day boy and yourself ;) Not to totally knock the program as with wise shoppers it will give them a few more cents back in their pockets every purchase, but overall for LEGO it is intended to get you to buy more and masked as a service they are giving to the VIP members.
I don't know, the program is "free" to join, it's not like they are charging you to join. Yes, it is a "loyalty program". I think the people who buy additional sets for the b'day boy and themselves do it b/c they love LEGO, not because they are getting a $5 credit for every $100 they spend. To me the extra $5 credit is a small perk of shopping ther (and it is a better program than the ridiculuous TRU "rewards" program, that's for sure).

pumbaugh
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by pumbaugh » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:37 pm

Of course it is free! Why would they charge for a program designed to get you to buy more???? It's not like they are offering you free shipping or anything with the program. I'm not trying to talk down or anything, but trust me...it is marketing 101. I'm not knocking it....it is standard industry practice as you mentioned TRU's program....everyone says it sucks and we all know it does, but many people feel the need to rush in and buy something with that 5$ TRU rewards they have, cuz hey its 5 dollars....but most end up giving more money to TRU than they otherwise would have. Not saying that you are that person, we are after all on a bargain website so our collective groups thinking may be slightly different than that of the "general public" if you will. Top it all off with the fact that LEGO should be basically paying factory direct pricing vs wholesale pricing of TRU, Target, etc...and encouraging people to use the VIP program is a no brainer as their profit margin is even higher than that of TRU, etc(not saying for a fact it is, but in theory it should).

Again, I feel like I keep repeating myself, but not knocking it...they obv have it down good. I, as a savvy shopper, as most who use this site are do not get "caught up" in the marketing ploy, maybe its just the cynic in me feeling the need to call it out from this angle instead of calling it a "great gesture to their loyal customers and those of the VIP club"

EDIT: btw the way the buying one for the b-day boy and one for yourself has to do with BOGO sales as I mentioned...not the loyalty program...especially since I have never seen LEGO do a BOGO sale...2 different items I was talking about

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:15 am

pumbaugh wrote:Of course it is free! Why would they charge for a program designed to get you to buy more???? It's not like they are offering you free shipping or anything with the program. I'm not trying to talk down or anything, but trust me...it is marketing 101....
I don't care, right now I just need to go get more food from McDonalds to collect the Monopoly game stamps.
:lol: :mrgreen: :wave:

But seriously, I have worked in retail and know the "tricks" (i.e. clearance) that can be used. I don't fault anyone for trying to get people to buy more stuff.
There is another benefit for LEGO having people have VIP accounts. They can track what people buy and get a feel of what VIP members like. And I appreciate that they occasionally they throw us a bone.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:40 am

The great thing about VIP is that you can accumulate your $5 increments for a while and blow it all on a large set. The issue with TRU is that they spread the reward over mulitple weeks so you can't use say $20 you earned on one set, but have $10 and $10 to spend in two consecutive weeks which yes often forces you to buy more than you should/would AND you have to drive to TRU twice!

Ok, I get the BoGO point you were making. Although it is crazy to see people at TRU buying MARKED UP sets at FULL PRICE. I think a lot of people don't think/work like we all do here with deals and yes those are the people that these stores are targeting.

I agree that perhaps LEGO is trying to offer VIP members more. I was on the LEGO.com site and was asked to do a survey. I said it would be nice if they offered free shipping more often (and maybe just for being a VIP member). Maybe they'll listen.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:45 am

atmail35 wrote:... I said it would be nice if they offered free shipping more often (and maybe just for being a VIP member). Maybe they'll listen.
Maybe they DID listen :mrgreen:

They offered it this month twice.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:33 pm

ncbarrett wrote:
atmail35 wrote:... I said it would be nice if they offered free shipping more often (and maybe just for being a VIP member). Maybe they'll listen.
Maybe they DID listen :mrgreen:

They offered it this month twice.
True they did! Although it would be awesome if as a VIP member you could get free shipping over $100 or $75 all the time!

sorry....I didn't mean to derail this thread.

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:50 pm

atmail35 wrote:Although it is crazy to see people at TRU buying MARKED UP sets at FULL PRICE. I think a lot of people don't think/work like we all do here with deals and yes those are the people that these stores are targeting.
How about the people who buy sets that are marked "clearance" but are still full price? Inconceivable!

isaacho
I'm New !

Post by isaacho » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:43 pm

atmail35 wrote:
isaacho wrote:Fantastic!

Any idea how to be a Lego VIP?
You can either get a card in-store (you must register it on-line after) or if you make a purchase on-line, you can also apply.

From the lego.com site:
Here are the ways you can sign up!
1. Check the ‘Join VIP Program’ box when shopping on shop.LEGO.com – we’ll send you a card.
This is the fastest process as you are not required to register following sign up.

2. Pick up a card at a LEGO Store. See the 'Stores' tab for Store Locations.

Please note that for Store sign ups, you will need to create a LEGO ID and return here to register your details once you have your card.
Hi atmail35,

Sorry for not replying earlier. Just realised and set forum to notify me when new post or topics.

Thanks for your reply.

Shalom
Isaac