[Review] 8073 Manta Warrior (Atlantis)

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate this set?

Excellent
No votes
Average
100%
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 1

Luciant
Count
Count

[Review] 8073 Manta Warrior (Atlantis)

Post by Luciant » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:34 am

Indexed

8073 Manta Warrior
8073-1.jpg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Set Details:
(Atlantis) Released 2010
13 Pieces with 1 Minifigs
Retail Price: $3.99 USD
Price Per Piece: $0.31
Brickset Description:
Beware this undersea warrior of Atlantis!

Treasure-seekers beware -- lurking behind this seaweed-covered rock is a fearsome Manta Warrior, prepared to battle anyone who dares to search for the long-lost sunken city of Atlantis! Includes Manta Warrior with trident. Includes Manta Warrior minifigure and seaweed-covered rock Manta Warrior is armed with a fierce trident

Background
As I've stated in other reviews, I'm a collector, so once I've locked on a set, I go for completion, even if I don't want to purchase a set. This set has such a high PPP that normally I would pass (you get this same guy in other sets). I don't usually just buy Minifigs unless its a battlepack. Oh well, getting a discount makes it less painful.
Box Top.jpg
Box Bot.jpg
I hate small boxes! I keep all of my boxes from my sets, so breaking a small box down is a lot more difficult than just slicing tapes on bigger sets.

Minifigs
Minifig.jpg
Sorry for the blurry pic. My camera doesn't like closeups of minifigs... has a hard time focusing on them. As usual your baddie comes with his token trident.

Instruction
Inst1.jpg
Inst2.jpg
This is another set that comes with a small folded instruction manual that breaks out into a full page with a quick set of instructions.

Parts/Stickers
There aren't any special parts to this set or stickers. They do include a piece to reference you back to the lost city theme by the brick lol

Construction
01 Start.jpg
Here is what you get in this set... not much
Complete.jpg
And here is what you end up with: A minifig with a small brick to trip over. At least they tied it back in.

Summary

Building: 1 / 5
Appearance: 3 / 5
Pieces: 2 / 5
Value: 3 / 5
Playability: 1 / 5
Overall: 1.2 / 5

Building:
Had to give this set a low score since you're not really building anything. Half the set is putting the minifig together. =)

Appearance:
I like the look of the Manta warrior, and the small building parts. It's nothing super special so I can't give it super high marks.

Pieces:
I wanted to give it a 1 here, but since its a small set.. the minfig and pieces you get are decent for $4. Decent set if you wanna load up on Atlantis baddies if you can get em for a decent discount.

Value:
The PPP of lower priced sets is skewed very easily so its not a good indicator. I say each minifig is worth about $5 so for $4 and extra parts, i gave it an average rating.

Playability:
This set has no playability really on its own. Get a few together or other sets, and you have traction, but alone, it's a no-go.

Overall:
Its extremely hard for me to say no to these inexpensive sets. Everyone loves minifigs, and it's essentially what you're buying with this set. I would say it's barely worth buying, but if you are wanting to build you an army, by all means this is a good set. If you are looking for playability and action... save your money.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.