[Review] 8072 Sea Jet (Atlantis)

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate this set?

Excellent
No votes
Average
No votes
Poor
100%

Total votes: 1

Luciant
Count
Count

[Review] 8072 Sea Jet (Atlantis)

Post by Luciant » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:15 am

Indexed

8072 Sea Jet
8072-1.jpg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Set Details:
(Atlantis) Released 2010
23 Pieces with 1 Minifigs
Retail Price: $3.99 USD
Price Per Piece: $0.17
Brickset Description:
Hunt for undersea treasure!

Search out Atlantis treasure keys, guardian sea creatures and sunken treasure with the sleek and speedy Sea Jet! Includes deep-sea diver minifigure. Includes Sea Jet and deep-sea diver minifigure Jet features control flaps for quick evasive tactics

Background
Since I am a collector, of course I had to scoop up as many of this theme as possible. As such, I nabbed it during a TRU BOGO, so got it for real cheap. $4 is almost worth the minifig alone.
Box Top.jpg
Box Bot.jpg
I hate little boxes. I should probably just toss them, but I keep all boxes just in case. They are hard to open without completely tearing them.

Minifigs
Minifig.jpg
You get you usual lime green aqua-suited Minifig. It comes with a set of flippers as well as an extra.

Instruction
Inst1.jpg
Inst2.jpg
Small little instruction booklet, just small enough to get lost easily. It folds out to a big sheet, very quick instructions.

Parts/Stickers
There aren't many parts to this, so of course not many unique ones.

Construction
01 Start.jpg
Here is a shot of what you have to work with.
Complete.jpg
Not much to this set unfortunately. Another unique sled/jet, so I do appreciate them trying to switch it up. For $4, it's nice. Cool little robot arm for grabbing on the front, with some headlights for searching. Fins that you can move to go up or down. As always, no seat.

Summary

Building: 3 / 5
Appearance: 3 / 5
Pieces: 3 / 5
Value: 4 / 5
Playability: 2 / 5
Overall: 3 / 5

Building:
This is a very quick and easy build. Under 5 minutes. They use the parts they do have effectively and make it different than the other sleds/jets in this theme.

Appearance:
As I stated before, I gave it average rating for appearance as there isn't much special about it. It is different than the others so it's not a clone so what else can you say? I guess each diver gets his own unique sled.

Pieces:
There aren't very many pieces to this set, but they are used well. There are not very many unique pieces, and you aren't going to buy this set just for it's pieces as you could probably order them cheaper individually. All in all, its just average.

Value:
The value of this set is actually pretty decent in my opinion. The PPP is somewhat high for this set, but it is very inexpensive set, and as I stated before... the cost worth the minifig alone. It comes with great extra pieces, and it's not just a copy of all the other types of sleds in the them.

Playability:
This is a nasty hit on this set, as it is what my previous comments suggest: a minifig with a glorified accessory. Yes you have a vehicle/jet but by itself it isn't very fun. You definitely need other pieces to go along with it to make it really fun.

Overall:
This is a decent set, and if it was a higher priced set, I would give it a pass. If you follow my motto purchase sets when on discount, this set is worth buying, only because any set under $5 with a minifig is basically worth having as a variety in your city/collection.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.