[Review] 21001 John Hancock Center (Architecture)

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate this set?

Excellent
No votes
Average
No votes
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 0

Luciant
Count
Count

[Review] 21001 John Hancock Center (Architecture)

Post by Luciant » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:29 pm

Indexed

21001 John Hancock Center
21001-1.jpg
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Set Details:
21001 John Hancock Center
(Architecture) Released 2008
69 Pieces with 0 Minifigs
Retail Price: $19.99 USD
Price Per Piece: $0.29
Brickset Description:

The LEGO Architecture Landmark series of real-world construction models continues with the famous John Hancock Center of Chicago, U.S.A.! Built with striking black and white bricks, the assembled model measures 7.5" (192 mm) tall and 3.1" (80 mm) wide at its labeled base. It includes a booklet with details about the skyscraper's design and history, plus facts about the real building. The perfect display for any architect or fan of spectacular city skylines! Replica of real-world architectural landmark John Hancock Center! Booklet included with details on design and history! Measures 7.5" (192 mm) tall and 3.1" (80 mm) wide!

Background
Just like with the Sears Tower, I had been avoiding buying this set because it was so over-priced. I figured I was almost finished with the set, so might as well go snag it while I had a 30% off coupon, thanks to http://www.toysnbricks.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=6. Just like the last set, I have a bad 'taste' in my mouth about this set already because of the ridiculous price.
Box Top.jpg
Box Bot.jpg
Box Open.jpg
Experience.jpg
I love this theme because of it's presentation. The box is so crisp and clean. Solid professional coloring, and the motto on every box gives me a smile every time. The theme has no alternate builds on the box, and sticks to the basic.

Minifigs
As with the entire theme, there are no minifigs that come with this set. It is a display set and minifigs are way out of proportion to play with this set.

Instruction
Inst.jpg
Inst 01.jpg
Inst 02.jpg
Inst 03.jpg
I love this theme and it's instructions. The binding makes sure the instruction don't get damaged easily over time, and the extra background information and facts make it an educational set as well. This theme's step by step instructions make it very easy to build.

Parts/Stickers
Parts.jpg
There are no stickers to this set/theme which I love. The only unique piece is the nameplate. Other than that, the glossy black coloring is nice, but the small number of pieces leave a lot to be desired.
The parts list at the back of the book is very nice and clean, with not very many pieces to represent.

Construction
01 Begin.jpg
And we begin!
02 Base.jpg
03 Base.jpg
04 Base.jpg
This set starts exactly how the Sears Tower does, with the same pieces except a different name-plate. I love how it makes it a solid base, with an excellent border.
05 Bot.jpg
06 Bot.jpg
07 Bot.jpg
08 Bot.jpg
09 Bot.jpg
The building is extremely basic and modular. The glossy black makes it kind of hard to see that it goes a layer or two then the building takes a small step making a somewhat pyramid type step going up. You build a small little circular center with come circular 2x2s and black dots. At least that was kind of interesting.
10 Tower.jpg
11 Tower.jpg
12 Tower.jpg
13 Tower.jpg
The tower continues to build upwards, slightly taking a step inwards as it goes up until you finally get to the top, where you can see you set up the 'antennas' on the top of the building.
Complete.jpg
Complete Side01.jpg
And we are finished. Another super-fast, rather boring build.

Summary

Building: 2 / 5
Appearance: 4 / 5
Pieces: 2 / 5
Value: 1 / 5
Playability: 1 / 5
Overall: 2 / 5

Building:
This set is extremely easy to build. I would say that you could almost build it without the instructions. If you aren't taking pictures and all, it will take you less than 10 minutes to put this set together. This set doesn't use any special tricks or anything interesting.

Appearance:
As with most of this theme, the over-all appearance is great. It is a great show piece, but unfortunately that is about all it has going for it. It is a great replica of the real thing, as is the case with the whole theme.

Pieces:
There is only 1 unique piece in the set, and that is the name-plate. The pieces in the set are not rare, only the glossy black is a harder-to-find color. There is only 69 pieces in the set, so you won't be buying this set for it's pieces.

Value:
The value of this set is also terrible. With such a high PPP, it's definitely not worth buying at MSRP, and even if you get it at 50% off it's questionable. I find it very hard to put a good value on this set without anything to say about it other than a good appearance.

Playability:
Because this set will be way out of proportion in relation to your minifigs, you won't be using this set to actually play with. All it will be able to do is act as a background in your Lego City or a nice talk piece.

Overall:
Overall this set is exactly what I expected it to be: an over-priced way of offsetting some of higher-dollar sets that have a better value. This set was very 'basic' and extremely expensive for the parts that come with it, and it's lack of play value. The only reason to purchase this set is if you are an avid collector and you want to complete this theme. I have to recommend avoiding this set unless you simply MUST have it, and if that is the case, be sure you grab it on discount.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.