[REVIEW] 7595: Army Men on Patrol

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate this set?

Excellent
60%
Average
20%
Poor
20%

Total votes: 5

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

[REVIEW] 7595: Army Men on Patrol

Post by hatcher » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:22 pm

Indexed

Set Name: Army Men on Patrol
Set Number: 7595
Theme: Toy Story
Year: 2010
Number of Pieces: 90
MSRP: $14.99 (CDN) $10.99 USD)
Minifigures: 4 (Yes, 4!)

Description from Shop@home:

Go out on patrol with the Army Men!

There’s an important mission in Andy’s bedroom – time to send in the green Army Men! Hopping along on their removable stands, these brave toy soldiers never leave a man behind. Good thing they’ve brought their Jeep, stretcher and all their equipment with them! Includes 4 minifigures.

* Includes 4 Army Men minifigures, jeep and stretcher
* Soldiers' jeep equipped with spare tire
* Jeep measures over 3" (8cm) long

Award Winner:

* Oppenheim Toy Portfolio's Gold Seal

link: http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/cli ... d%253D2057" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even though this set is priced a bit higher then I would have liked, I still give it a "highly recommended". Lets take a look at it in more detail.

Here is the front of the box. As you can see, you get a jeep and 4 army men.
IMG_3332.JPG
Here is the back of the box. The box is one of the "press here with your thumb" to open types, and you can see the stretcher in action.
IMG_3333.JPG
Opening the box, we see the contents, two bags (not numbered) and the instructions.
IMG_3334.JPG
The front of the instruction manual
IMG_3335.JPG
And a random page from the instructions.
IMG_3336.JPG
The pieces of the set spread out. As you can see, there is a LOT of dark green. In fact, other than the wheels and few other pieces, its all dark green. Some of the highlights for me are the foot stands the figs stand on, the green army helmets, and the green briefcase.
IMG_3337.JPG
Lets start by assembling the jeep. I never saw the army men in Toy Story use a jeep, but regardless, it is a nice (and logical) addition to the set. Here we see it early in assembly
IMG_3338.JPG
The steering wheel has been added, as well as more of the base. I like the use of the pieces next to the steering wheel here.
IMG_3339.JPG
More layers added to the jeep.
IMG_3340.JPG
The sloped pieces added on make the entry way to the jeep. A nice design feature.
IMG_3341.JPG
The front and hood of the jeep added. I love the use of the studs on front.
IMG_3342.JPG
This is the back of the jeep. the axle sticking out will hold the spare tire.
IMG_3343.JPG
The complete jeep minus the tires.
IMG_3344.JPG
The complete jeep. I am very impressed with this little vehicle, even though it can only hold two figures at best. Still, it is an easy vehicle to put together, and the parts used are common enough that you could make your own in other colours to have some enemies for your men to fight.
IMG_3345.JPG
Speaking of men, here are the minifigures, or army men, and their selection of accessories. You get 3 regular soldiers, plus one medic (distinguished solely by his helmet). The medic can easily be converted back into a soldier with a little Brasso if you so desire. You get a stretcher, a briefcase (medical kit I presume), a backpack, a metal detector, two walkie talkies, two binoculars, and 2 rifles. The presence of only 2 rifles baffles me, shouldn't there be at least 3? Anyway, the accessories are great, and the colour is great!
IMG_3346.JPG
Here is a minifigure from the front. Only the torso has any printing on it. At first I was disappointed with the lack of detail, but considering its representing a very small toy, the detail is appropriate. All the faces are the same, and as mentioned, the only difference between any of them is the medics helmet.
IMG_3347.JPG
The backs are completely plain. Nothing, nada.
IMG_3348.JPG
And finally the completed set. The play possibilities for this set are endless. The more sets you have, the more fun for the kiddies. I got 2 for each of my kids, so I expect to see grand battles down the road when then start to get into that kind of thing.
IMG_3349.JPG
Final thoughts

As I said, I give this set a highly recommended rating. The minifigures, while not the most detailed or exciting, are great for what they are, army men, the parts for the jeep are great, and the accessories work great. Its a big pricey at full price, but more stores have been clearing them out at reduced prices lately, so if you can still find them at a brick and mortar store, you can probably get a really good price. If not, they are still available at shop@home.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?