[REVIEW] 8099: Midi Scale Star Destroyer

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate this set?

Excellent
33%
Average
67%
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 3

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

[REVIEW] 8099: Midi Scale Star Destroyer

Post by hatcher » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:26 am

Indexed

Following the "success" of the Midi Scale Millennium Falcon from 2009, the Lego group brought us the Midi Scale Star Destroyer in 2010. Given that I have heard nothing about a Midi scale ship appearing in 2011, I have to assume the experiment in the Midi Scale has been scrapped. I suppose one could be slated for December, but I guess time will tell.

SET NAME: Midi Scale Star Destroyer
SET NUMBER: 8099
THEME: STAR WARS (classic)
YEAR: 2010
NUMBER OF PIECES: 423
MINIFIGURES: 0
MSRP: $39.99 (USD) $49.99 (CAN)

Description from Brickset:

The infamous Imperial Star Destroyer- now in midi-scale!

Appearing for the very first time in the opening scene of the first Star Wars movie, A New Hope, the Imperial Star Destroyer is the Empire's most powerful warship and one of the most instantly recognizable in the entire series. This iconic ship now comes in midi-scale. No minifigures included. Display the model using the convenient stand! Imperial Star Destroyer measures more than 10' (25cm) long and stands more than 5' (12cm).

link: http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=8099-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On to the review.

Here is the front of the box. As you can see, there is a clearance sticker on this box. A Walmart exclusive, this ship did not appear to sell well at full price. I noticed a similar scenario with the Midi Falcon in 2009. I think its the lack of minifigures, but that just might be me.
IMG_3293.JPG
The back of the box. Not much else to show since this ship has exactly zero play features, so instead they show a list of all the parts, and some information about the "real" Star Destroyers. I personally think the parts list is a great idea, as I suspect that some people are going to be buying these just for parts.
IMG_3294.JPG
The contents of the box. 6 bags (not numbered) and an instruction manual. There are no stickers.
IMG_3295.JPG
Here is the cover of the instruction manual.
IMG_3296.JPG
And a random page from the manual. This model lists the parts needed to complete each step, but even with that, I kept missing pieces as they have as many as 10 pieces to add in some steps. Not a huge issue, but it did bug me a bit.
IMG_3297.JPG
Ok, on to the build. Here is the completed frame of the ship, before it gets bent in half. The center of the frame is on a swivel, and it folds up. It looks weird at this point, but it makes sense as the build progresses.
IMG_3298.JPG
And here it is folded over and attached.
IMG_3299.JPG
One of the bottom "wings".
IMG_3300.JPG
And the wing attached to the frame.
IMG_3301.JPG
And with the two bottom wings attached.
IMG_3302.JPG
At this point, we attach the back section, the engines.
IMG_3303.JPG
Here is one of the top wings completed. I'll show pictures of the second top wing in progress later to show more of the assembly process.
IMG_3304.JPG
And the top wing attached.
IMG_3305.JPG
The bridge section has now been attached to the top.
IMG_3306.JPG
The final wing being assembled. Note the use of the White Wing.
IMG_3307.JPG
More parts added.
IMG_3308.JPG
The red pieces shown here are used to attach the wing to the frame.
IMG_3309.JPG
The detailing on the top of the wing begins to take shape.
IMG_3310.JPG
Still more detailing.
IMG_3311.JPG
The completed wing, before attaching.
IMG_3312.JPG
The completed model. It looks very much like a mini, oh sorry, "Midi" Star Destroyer. Not bad representation.
IMG_3313.JPG
Completed model from the back.
IMG_3315.JPG
Here is the bottom of the model. The black bar is what makes it sit upright, and "level" so the ship doesn't slant downwards or tip over due to its uneven bottom.
IMG_3316.JPG
One final shot of the ship from the other side.
IMG_3317.JPG
So, final thoughts.

Playability. Well, my three year old was playing with his trains next to me as I was building it, and he kept coming over and taking it for short "flights". So I guess you could fly it around the room, but otherwise, it does nothing. No doors, no landing gear, not even any flick fire missles (not that I am missing them, as they suck). But then again, its not supposed to, its a model that you sit on your desk. I think that is why kids didn't eat this thing up.

Minifigs. Doesn't have any, obviously, so again, I think that drove away some of the interest.

Parts. Well, it does have lots of them, including the new 2x4 tiles, 1x3 tiles, and 1x2 cheese slopes, but most of the pieces are in light and dark bley, which are not exactly rare.

Price. At full price its not a terrible price per piece, but based on the number I am seeing rotting on the shelf at Walmart at almost 40% off, I am guessing the price also turned people off.

I was also a bit disappointed that it was not in scale with the Midi Falcon. Oh, I know it was completely unrealistic to expect that, but the Falcon is almost as big as this is, and we all know that ain't the case.

As a desk model goes, this set gets a "recommended" rating from me. As a toy, I say give it a pass.

Hope you enjoyed this review.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?