[Review] 2263 Turbo Shredder (Ninjago)

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate this set?

Excellent
25%
Average
50%
Poor
25%

Total votes: 4

Luciant
Count
Count

[Review] 2263 Turbo Shredder (Ninjago)

Post by Luciant » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:07 pm

Indexed

2263 Turbo Shredder
2263-1.jpg
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Set Details:
(Ninjago) Released 2011
223 Pieces with 3 Minifigs
Retail Price: $29.99 USD
Price Per Piece: $0.13
Brickset Description: Spin out of danger and recover the golden scythe!

Frakjaw is escaping in his Turbo Shredder with the golden scythe! Sensei Wu has sent Jay and Cole after him. Help the fearless ninjas use Spinjitzu to avoid being swallowed up by the Turbo Shredder. Don't forget to grab the golden weapon! Set includes Turbo Shredder, 3 minifigures and 3 weapons. Includes 3 minifigures: Jay, Cole and Frakjaw Features Turbo Shredder, golden scythe, silver sword and brown spear Snap the jaws of the Turbo Shredder! Rotate the Turbo Shredder's tracks! Turbo Shredder features massive, detailed engine and exhaust flames! Turbo Shredder is over 10' (25cm) long and 4' (10cm) wide

Background
So I've been very torn with this Ninjago theme. While I LOVE Ninjas, Skeletons, and a lot of different aspects this theme brings, I thought the sets looked kind of cheesy. I guess what turns me off is the whole trading card aspect that I don't understand. So TRU had a sale to get a free Card book and card with a sale and I had some TRU bucks to spend, so this is the set that I chose. It looked pretty cool being a tank, so I figured if anything would get me excited about this theme, this would be it.
Box Top.jpg
Box Bot.jpg
Box Open.jpg
The box is kind of bland, and the picture on the back is almost the same as the one on the front :shock: No alt builds, just a swap of weapons. That's different. The set does have numbered poly bags to make construction flow more smoothly.

Minifigs
Minifig 01.jpg
Minifig 02.jpg
Jay (Blue Ninja)
Cole (Black Ninja)
Frakjaw (Skeleton)

I love me some ninja minifigs. Blue and Black. Rock on. My only beef: One has a spear... what true ninja doesn't have a sword? Both Ninja's come with a sword holder on their masks to hold when not using. Frakjaw comes with some skeleton armor and a wicked scythe. I love what they've done with the skele figs in this theme and not making them the dinky ones from prior sets.

Instruction
Inst 01.jpg
Inst 02.jpg
There are 2 instruction manuals, allowing you to work with someone else very easily in different parts. Nothing too special and crazy about the instructions.

Parts/Stickers
Parts for this set are unique. It has some purple bricks which are semi-rare, along with it's uncommon wheels and tracks. I personally am not a big fan of tracks as they always seem to slide across the floor rather than actually rotate for me. They do look better for the overall appearance though. There are NO stickers to this set (sweet!). There is a pre-printed skull brick plate.

Construction
Starting.jpg
01 Start.jpg
04 Base.jpg
05 Base.jpg
This is the beginning of the base of the Tank. It almost looks like the base of what you would figure a Motorcycle would look like. Odd.
06 Base.jpg
07 Base.jpg
09 Base.jpg
The base is looking much better now. Now it just looks like the front two areas will be for the treads of the tank.
10 Bag 2.jpg
11 Details.jpg
Starting on the second bag. We are adding some details to the base (like clear red bricks typically used for vehicle brake lights), and we've now added a gear to the middle of the base.
12 New Part.jpg
13 Teeth.jpg
14 Teeth.jpg
We now start to create a new section independent of the base. It has "teeth" and unique purple bricks. Here is where the unique pre-printed skull plate goes.
15 Before.jpg
After the middle piece is finished, but getting it aligned to be attached to the base.
16 During.jpg
17 During.jpg
The process of connecting the insignia piece to the base.
18 After.jpg
19 After.jpg
And this is what it looks like after it's connected. The gear in the middle of the base will be used to push this piece up and down. You add the Skull to the piece you just attached to make the skull go up and down. Very cool. This reminds me of something else from my child-hood... does it you? I'll reveal it later...
20 Bag 3.jpg
21 Bones.jpg
22 Cockpit.jpg
Starting on the final bag, begins by adding some bones to the base to give it more of that undead feel. Getting the 2 long fangs into that corner piece is a bit of a pain.
23 Nose.jpg
24 Engine.jpg
25 Almost Done.jpg
Next we add on the hot-rod engine and the flames shooting out of the tailpipes.
26 Tracks.jpg
26 Wheels.jpg
Finally we are adding the wheels and the tracks. All of which move. Notice you combine 2 of the big wheels to make an even bigger wheel. The tracks are what are attached to the middle gear that makes the skull go up and down.
Complete.jpg
Complete 2.jpg
Finally we are done! I took a picture of the skull at the bottom and top of the positions that the gear can put it into. Very cool. Does this tank remind anyone else of the Thunder-tank from Thundercats... all it needs are paws...

Summary

Building: 5 / 5
Appearance: 5 / 5
Pieces: 4 / 5
Value: 4 / 5
Playability: 5 / 5
Overall: 4.6 / 5

Building:
This is a very fun set to build. It has multiple books and multiple sections making this a set multiple people can work on at the same time with ease. Some of the tricks they use are inventive (the long bones/corner piece), and the use of treads to make the middle section move is neat. Great job.

Appearance:
I think this is a GREAT looking set. It looks like a 'shredder' vehicle. I would say it looks like an undead version of the Thunder-tank =) Fortunately I love the Thunder cats... so crossing ninjas with Thunder cats... toss a few space aliens and knights and we have the best set ever.

Pieces:
This set has some unique pieces, but not entirely too many that I can see you wanting to purchase this set just for it's pieces. I love the minifigs that come in this set, along with their accessories. The unique purple bricks are a nice touch... had there been a few more pieces (maybe an actual weapon that shoots), I could have given it a 5.

Value:
While I have to knock it here again for its relatively steep PPP of $0.13, in the over-all scheme it's not too terrible. The fact that I got it with TRU bucks made it a great value. Ninjago has also been on sale a lot as well too lately, anywhere from 20% to BOGO 50%... keep tabs on the TnB Sales/Deals forum and you too can nab this set with a discount. With the unique pieces, minifigs, and sheer coolness of the set, it's a great value.

Playability:
This set has TONS of playability. I can see tons of battles over control of the Shredder, and it mowing through armies. 3 very cool minifigs, and vehicle that can easily be played with alone or with others.

Overall:
So I bought this set to inspire my desire for the Ninjago theme, and it lived up to expectations. The over look and feel of this Shredder is awesome. I can see many different ways to play with it, as well as many different uses for it's parts. While it is a little bit more pricey than the usual set, it is well worth it. The Turbo Shredder is the perfect set to start your Ninjago collection and get you hooked into it. I highly recommend this set for anyone and everyone. If you can find it on sale, you shouldn't pass this one up!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.

legogod
Knight
Knight

Re: [Review] 2263 Turbo Shredder (Ninjago)

Post by legogod » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:11 pm

I had originally posted that this was a good review. I liked the attention to specific pieces and features the set has. I was a little more excited about this set after the review. When I saw the box on the shelf my reaction was EH.

I also thought it was funny: No matter how evil this skeleton is, he is courteous enough to install brake lights in his vehicle.

"No, no. Please go around." Frakjaw waves a family van that has been stuck behind him for awhile as he signals to the side of the road. "Don't worry friends! My beef is with the ninja!" The van takes off pretty quickly after seeing the front end and Frakjaw dies a little more inside. A little dust leaks out of his eye socket. End Scene.

Thanks for the nice review.
Jared