[REVIEW] 8089 Hoth Wampa Cave

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate this set?

Excellent
40%
Average
60%
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 5

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

[REVIEW] 8089 Hoth Wampa Cave

Post by hatcher » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:21 am

Indexed

I love Star Wars, and The Empire Strikes Back is my favourite of all of them. So, even though I have some problems with this set, I had to have it.

SET NAME: Hoth Wampa Cave
SET NUMBER: 8089
THEME: Star Wars Classic
YEAR: 2010
# OF PIECES: 297
MINIFIGURES: 4 (if you count the Wampa and skeleton)
MSRP: $54.99 (CDN) $39.99 (USD)

DESCRIPTION FROM SHOP@HOME:
Escape from the wampa ice creature with Luke Skywalker™!

While on scouting duty on Hoth, Luke Skywalker™ is savagely attacked and captured by a ferocious wampa ice creature. Can he use the Force to recover his lightsaber before the wampa gets him? Or will pilot Zev Zenesca™ save him using the snowspeeder?

Celebrate the 30th anniversary of The Empire Strikes Back™ with the instantly recognizable set.

Includes 3 minifigures: wampa ice creature, Luke Skywalker and Zev Zenesca
Features wampa cave and snowspeeder
Wampa cave features lightsaber catapult function and skeleton
Snowspeeder includes opening cockpit and realistic tow cable with string and hook
Combine with other Hoth sets from LEGO Star Wars including Echo Base™ 7749, Rebel Trooper™ Battle Pack 8083, and Snowtrooper™ Battle Pack 8084
Wampa cave measures 7” (18cm) long and 4” (10cm) wide
Snowspeeder measures 7” (18cm) long

link: http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/cli" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 6d%253D322

The front of the box. I don't remember a human skeleton in the Wampa Cave from the movie, nor do I remember the Wampa serving Turkey, but regardless, the box front shows the scene.
IMG_3152.JPG
On the back of the box, in addition to the advertisement for the other sets in this wave, we see some of the play features, such as the harpoon cable on the back of the speeder, and the light saber in the snow effect.
IMG_3153.JPG
The contents of the box. 3 numbered bags, the Wampa in a seperate bag, the instruction book and the dreaded sticker sheet. All of the stickers are for the speeder. I remember when snow speeders came with printed pieces. Ah, the good old days.
IMG_3154.JPG
The cover of the instruction book:
IMG_3155.JPG
Followed by a random page from the instruction book. This page shows how to attach the Wampa's arms and horns. I really do like the Wampa.
IMG_3156.JPG
The contents of bag #1. This bag has the pieces to build the body of the snow speeder. The pilot is also included in this bag, but not any of the other mini figures, which while not completely unheard of, is a bit of a departure from the recent sets I've assembled.
IMG_3157.JPG
The body during the assembly process. I don't really understand the logic of the seats being tiles instead of plates, as the figures now are not attached when inside the ship.
IMG_3158.JPG
The body of the speeder at the end of bag #1 (minus the stickers) and the spare part.
IMG_3159.JPG
And with the cockpit open. I do like the way they have the double hing here.
IMG_3161.JPG
The contents of bag #2. This bag contains the parts needed to assemble the wings for the snow speeder.
IMG_3162.JPG
One of the wings during the assembly process.
IMG_3163.JPG
And at the end. The other wing is almost exactly the same so I didn't take any photos as I assembled it. The engine block is a sticker (BOO).
IMG_3164.JPG
And here is the completed speeder with stickers applied and the spare piece. I know a lot of people (myself included) were wondering why they would include ANOTHER snow speeder. Well, this is not the same snow speeder that we've gotten before, that previous versions were Luke's snow speeder, this one belongs to Zev Zenesca, so its not the same speeder. At least that's the only logic I could come up for including it. But that brings up another question. If Zev is in this set, why is he also in the Rebel Trooper battle pack that come out last year? Is he a clone?

But I digress. This speeder is a nice version of the speeder. I'm not sure if I like it more or less than the other one, but I don't hate it.
IMG_3165.JPG
The contents of the final bag. This bag builds the cave. It also included the parts to make Luke.
IMG_3166.JPG
The build of the cave begins. Lots of white pieces (obviously).
IMG_3167.JPG
The cave continued.
IMG_3168.JPG
The icicles hanging for the top of the cave have been added. I really like the way they pulled this off by using the teeth elements and by attaching the icicles to the black bricks with studs on the side. Those studs on the side will be used later for a play feature.
IMG_3169.JPG
The completed cave. It might be a bit hard to make out, but that white and beige object in the lower right is a spinal column of the Wampas' last meal I guess.
IMG_3170.JPG
The minifigures. From the left, we have Zev, then Luke, then the Skeleton, followed by the Wampa. Luke is a completely new figure as we've never had a Hoth Luke before. The skeleton is the same as you'd get in a Kingdom's set. The Wampa is nice, as his arms move as do his horns.
IMG_3171.JPG
Closer view of the three standard figures. Zev's visor is painted onto his face. Luke has the huge helmet design with goggles. Nothing much to say about the skeleton. The picture of their back sides was corrupted in transfer, but I can tell you they both have printing on the back of their torsos. Very nice figures.
IMG_3172.JPG
The Wampa by himself complete with Turkey leg.
IMG_3175.JPG
The cave with figures in place. As you can see, Luke can be hung upside down from the fore mentioned bricks with studs on the side. A very smart use of the elements. On the right side, the lightsaber has been placed so Luke can retrieve it with the force when he comes too. The skeleton lies in the corner forgotten.
IMG_3176.JPG
You press down on this element and the lightsaber "pops" out so Luke can summon it with the force. Nice touch.
IMG_3177.JPG
The completed set with figures.
IMG_3178.JPG
The set is a nice set for what it is. As I said at the start, I had some issues with it. First and foremost, the price. $55 for 300 pieces is too high. I only own this thanks to a pre-Christmas sale. I can not recommend this set at full price. If you've read my previous reviews, you'll know that I'm "thrifty" when it comes to my lego purchases. LEGO is not a cheap hobby, so I really appreciate this site alerting me to sales and deals so I can maximize my LEGO budget. The inclusion of a figure I already had (Zev) was kind of a "HUH?" for me as well. And while I don't hate the Speeder, I would have rather they included a Ghost of Obi-Wan figure and Han and his Taun-Taun instead. But I guess you can't get everything you want.

I would give this set high scores on play features, and part selection. I would dock it some for use of stickers, high price, and for the mini figures (excluding the Wampa and Luke). Over all, its a good set, and if you find it on sale, buy it, especially if you love the Empire Strikes Back!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?