[Review] 21003 Seattle Space Needle (Architecture)

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate this set?

Excellent
No votes
Average
33%
Poor
67%

Total votes: 3

Luciant
Count
Count

[Review] 21003 Seattle Space Needle (Architecture)

Post by Luciant » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:45 am

Indexed

21003 Seattle Space Needle
21003-1.jpg
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Set Details:
(Architecture) Released 2009
57 Pieces with 0 Minifigs
Retail Price: $19.99 USD
Price Per Piece: $0.35 :o
Brickset Description: The Seattle Space Needle can be yours!

Build Seattle, Washington's famous Space Needle! Created for the 1962 World's Fair, this sweeping futuristic tower is the fourth in the LEGO Architecture Landmark series of real-world construction models. Built out of gray bricks, the assembled Space Needle stands 8.7" (222 mm) tall on a 3.1-inch (80 mm) base with a printed label and includes a booklet with facts about the building, its construction and its history. A striking and imaginative display for your desk, bookshelf or mantelpiece! Replica of real-world architectural landmark Seattle Space Needle! Booklet included with details on design and history! (English language only) Measures 8.7" (222 mm) tall and 3.1" (80 mm) wide

Background
So after building The White House and a few other Architecture sets, I had been excited to finish off the set because it's not very large, and are great display models. Thanks once again to this wonderful website's forums, I went and got this set for 30% off, so to me it justified making the purchase. After going up to the store and realizing there were so few pieces in this set, i was appalled :shock: $20 for 57 pieces? Really? Shouldn't this be like $6? I decided since it was one of two left (the other having a beat up box), and how this theme never goes on sale, i decided to bite my tongue and buy it anyway.
Box Top.jpg
Box Bottom.jpg
Box Side1.jpg
Box Side2.jpg
Box Opened.jpg
The box is very neat looking. Sharp and crisp, no alternate builds, only alternate views of the model.
Experience.jpg
On every box it has this after opening the front facing panel... I love it =)

Minifigs
None. This is a mini version of a real life building, so it is not really meant for minis.

Instruction
Instructions.jpg
Inst01.jpg
Part list.jpg
Nice light binding, some information about the building and facts. At the back is a nice part list, very short.
Inst02.jpg
Inst03.jpg
Shots of what the instructions look like. First time I've needed to cut a piece from a new set...

Parts/Stickers
There are very few pieces in this set, but the 3 tubes, and a cog at the top are somewhat special. There is a nice pre-printed flat glossy plate that forms a nice border at the base. No stickers! Yay!

Construction
Begin.jpg
Base.jpg
The base is small, but very nice. I love the way this theme creates a border and nameplate at the bottom.
Base2.jpg
Base3.jpg
Base4.jpg
Base5.jpg
Base6.jpg
The base is now complete. It almost looks like a technic set at this point. You have to be somewhat careful putting this part together as the stalk is very flexible still.
Wiring1.jpg
Wiring2.jpg
Wiring3.jpg
Wiring4.jpg
Wiring5.jpg
:shock: Craziness... I didn't feel right taking scissors/shears to my new box of Legos. The instructions told me to, I swear! Surprisingly, these help give the main structure stability.
Top1.jpg
Top2.jpg
Top3.jpg
There is the top of the needle where it has the observation tower.
Complete.jpg
And we have the finished product. Very good and similar to the real-deal (I think). Here are some closeups.
Close1.jpg
Close2.jpg
Close3.jpg
I decided I'd give anyone an opportunity to check it out vs the real thing if they've ever looked up at it =)

Summary

Building: 4/ 5
Appearance: 5 / 5
Pieces: 4 / 5
Value: 1 / 5
Playability: 1 / 5
Overall: 3 / 5

Building:
The building of this is pretty interestingly done. The tricks they use are nice, and kept me entertained well.

Appearance:
I think the set is great to look at. I like that they didn't go crazy with the size (so it will fit on a shelf). It is a display model, and with the nice base with nameplate, you can keep this at home or at work. I haven't ever seen the real Space Needle, but I would venture to say this would probably portray it accurately.

Pieces:
I gave this a high score because for 4 of the 57 pieces being uncommon, and the unique nameplate, the ratio of its uncommon pieces is high. You're wont want to buy this set to pillage it for other builds.

Value:
This set's PPP is ridiculous. I think even if I got 50% off, I'd still be a little upset. I guess this is where they make up the extra needed to pay licensing for the higher sets with low PPP. The set doesn't have any pieces you would want to purchase this set for, or for it's playability with your other sets, killing the over-all value of this set.

Playability:
Since the set is not in proper ratio to minifigs, it's doubtful you will want to 'play' with this set. It's more of a display set, but I gave it a 1, because I could see it being a 'building' within my Lego City to add depth and variety.

Overall:
The building and look of the set kept this set's overall average relatively high. I think skewed. The only reason I purchased this set was because I'm a collector and I like to complete sets, and was able to get this :roll: discounted :roll: . There is really no other reason to purchase this set, unless you are in love with the look or have some special connection to Sleepless in Seattle. Unless your a crazy collector like me, I wouldn't bother with this set, your Lego budget is wisely spent on a higher (but better value) set.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.

peanut
Knight
Knight

Re: [Review] 21003 Seattle Space Needle (Architecture)

Post by peanut » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:01 pm

Nice review. I do have a personal connection to this set and it's the only Architecture set I have gotten...so far ;) edit: although I admit I got it for free at IEC heheh

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:29 am

Eeeh it looks nice, but seriously, the PPP is ridiculous and it's not even ridiculous for a good reason. The box is dressed up, you get an information booklet and a snazzy looking tower. There are no super rare pieces or really big pieces. This set is just for those people who say 'hey that set looks cool' and they keep it in like a home office.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:26 am

legitimatealex wrote:This set is just for those people who say 'hey that set looks cool' and they keep it in like a home office.
You mean 'grownups'. Glad I'm not one of those... :lol:
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive