[Review] 8683 Collectible Minifigures Series 1

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate this series?

Excellent
57%
Average
43%
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 7

legitimatealex
Count
Count

[Review] 8683 Collectible Minifigures Series 1

Post by legitimatealex » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:19 pm

Indexed

8683 Collectible Minifigures Series 1
Which mystery minifigure will you get?

Discover 1 of 16 individual minifigures in each sealed 'mystery' bag! Each minifigure is inspired by movies, sports, history and everyday life. Mystery minifigure might be: Demolition Dummy, Forest man, Cowboy, Super Wrestler, Zombie, Ninja, Cheerleader, Skater, Tribal Hunter, Circus Clown, Magician, Deep Sea Diver, Robot, Nurse, Caveman or Spaceman. Each includes special accessories, display plate and collector's leaflet. Your mystery minifigure might be: Demolition Dummy, Forest man, Cowboy, Super Wrestler, Zombie, Ninja, Cheerleader, Skater, Tribal Hunter, Circus Clown, Magician, Deep Sea Diver, Robot, Nurse, Caveman or Spaceman. A must-have for all LEGO minifigure collectors Only 1 of 16 individual minifigures in each package. Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate requests for specific minifigures
This review is going to be a little different from most. The collectible minifigures are too small to review all on their own, and thus I must review all of them together. The facts about the minifigures are as follows.

There is one minifigure per bag, each with it's own unique accessory or hairpiece.

Each minifigure is unique.

Each accessory is unique.

These minifigures will not appear elsewhere.

The accessories will not appear elsewhere either.

Each minifigure comes with it's own display stand.

The collectible series are only available for a certain amount of time by LEGO, and then are never to be manufactured again.

These minifigures that I am reviewing here are not currently available by LEGO, but can still be purchased online elsewhere.

At the time these were sold, they were being sold at the price of $1.99 per bag.

Each minifigure came in a random bag.

Each bag had a bar code that could identify the minifigure.

Now that I have this out of the way, onto the sets :D

Apologies for not having my own picture, but I do not have any of the bags so I must use this photo from LEGO.

That is the bag the minifigure would come in. They are not large bags and each bag came in a box of 60.

Upon opening the bag, besides the minifigure and the stand there was a little sheet that displayed all the minifigures on it.

On the opposite sides were the 'instructions,' showing you how to construct the minifigure.

The Minifigures

I'm going to review all the minifigures in the order listed on the instructions, and provide as many shots as needed.

The first minifigure of the set is the Tribal Hunter. I was a big fan of this minifigure because I missed out on the Wild West theme LEGO did and had no native americans of my own. The tribal hunter sports excellent printing, and a unique hair piece with a feather stuck in the back (the feather is it's own seperate piece and has the same connecting function as other hair and helmet/hat accessories has). He also has a bow and a quiver.

Showing you his side, as well as the feather. There is also another hole in the top of his hair where the feather could be stuck.

The second minifigure is the Cheerleader. She sports a super blonde hair piece, as well as two pom poms that connect very easily with hands. Her printing is very nice, and she is the prime example of what a cheerleader should be. No clue what team she roots for. Could be Michigan State :idea:

Her leg printing continues on to her side.

Beware of the Caveman! This blast from the past sports a ridiculously sized club and one heck of a hair/beard combo. He definitely is the quintessential caveman.

This gives you a much better view of his club.

Apologies for not showing you his face. It appears to not have uploaded to my Flickr account. Later on I will respond to this thread and provide you with the appropriate picture. The face sports a huge grin and a very large unibrow. Rest assured, the hair/beard combo does come apart from his head.

Here is a surprisingly not creepy Circus Clown. He actually looks pretty nifty. His torso and legs are perfect happy colors and he's just a patchwork mess! He also sports a trumpet.

A shot from the side. Something must also be said about his ridiculous red fro. It's absolutely amazing.

Here's the lumbering zombie. LEGO explicitly expressed in his description that he's a good zombie, and very helpful to boot. While his accessories sure aren't unique, his expression and details are. He was considered the 'must have' minifigure of this series as far as I could tell. He's not my favorite though.

Side shot!

Here is the Skater. He kind of reminds me of Luke Wilson. He sports some black wavy hair and a skate board, as well as a much better hoodie than LEGO had done previously.

Obligatory side shot to keep things consistent. There's not much to say about this minifigure.

This one may be my favorite. It's the Robot! His vintage robot looks just drives me wild, as well as his differentiated arms and bucket helmet.

Taking his helmet off reveals an even more frightening minifigure than before! This one is definitely my favorite.

The Demolition Dummy! Largely considered the least popular minifigure of the series :( I myself was unfortunate to receive 6 of these minifigures when purchasing these figures from LEGO. He's really not a bad minifigure, but I do not need 6 of them. He sports a printed license plate and a rather common wrench.

The side shot doesn't reveal much.

Master of magic, the Magician! He sports a creepy mustache/goatee combo and a top hat. His wand is rather shorter than the usual stick pieces. He is definitely a snapper dresser.

A better shot of the wand from here.

Here is LEGO's idea of a masked wrestler, the Super Wrestler. He has such a look of grim determination on his face and his title belt let's you know that he's clearly the champ. His chest is strong and has rippling muscles, and his pants and mask are a lovely shade of sky blue.

Is a cape really practical for fighting?

Nurse! She has a rather frightening syringe and a clipboard for with the charts for patient 'Dawes.' I don't know which one in this series he or she was. Maybe the skater? I'm sure he gets in accidents a lot. The syringe was pretty nice for this set, and the nurse looks pretty good herself.

This shot gives a better view of her hair. It's a pretty decent head piece.

The Ninja is here! He was a pretty big deal when he showed up, since this was before we had any inkling of Ninjago. No one had seen hide nor hair of ninja (as ninjas are want to do) since the Ninja/Samurai theme way back when. He's a pretty decent minifigure, all things considered. Awesome head wrap, great sword and a pretty nice robe printing.

I actually one this guy from Toys N Bricks in a different contest :D

You can see from this angle that his head wrap has a spot where he can carry other things.

His eyes are very dominant. They seem desperate to win.

Here's the astronaut. He sports a pretty convincing space suit, as well as the original LEGO space logo.

He also has a laser. It's very James Bond 'Moonraker.' I wonder who he is fighting out there in space?

He has a very strong cocky look on his face too. Normally I think cocky is a bad thing, but as an astronaut out in space I think you would need to be cocky.

Here is a throw out to the castle fans. The Forestman is here. He reminds me of Cary Elwes (if you are a girl, have a girlfriend/lived through the 80's, you very well know who he is. Princess Bride. Dread Pirate Roberts. This guy:

Still no idea who he is? Well he was also Robin Hood in 'Robin Hood: Men in Tights,' which this minifigure is MOST DEFINITELY taken from.

You tell me that's not him and I know you're a liar.) What was I talking about?

He's pretty much a quintessential forest going man. Bow, arrow quiver, strange felt hat that can serve no purpose with a feather stuck in it. Only thing he's missing is an axe for cutting down wood.

Aaaaaand side shot!

The Diver. Not the most unique minifigure in the series, but still a pretty nice guy to have. Yes, he did come with a stand, but it is impossible to keep him up there with the flippers.

He sports the face mask, an air tank and the flippers.

He has a face oddly similar to the astronaut.

Last but not least is the Cowboy! If you have an Indian you have to have a cowboy. He has a pretty good 'rancher'/'gunslinger' look about him. Definitely deadly.

Last side shot to be had.

And to tie it all together:

The whole shebang! Every single minifigure of the 16 for series 1.

Final Thoughts

There's always a lot of debate as to which minifigures are the best, which minifigures are the worst, the most wanted, etc. etc. I hope I've done a good job providing the pictures (38 pictures about the minifigures, all deeplinked, took a long time) to help you make your own judgements. Even in our own forums the debate rages on (http://www.toysnbricks.com/forums/viewt ... =17&t=2168)

You don't have to have the whole set to enjoy a single minifigure. You might not like one or really like only one out of all of them, but either way somewhere out there someone likes one of these minifigures a lot and knows that they have a perfect place and role for them to play.

There is not a single minifigure I wouldn't recommend here. This, like the other two series which I plan on reviewing as soon as I have time (deeplinking takes a while but it looks better than the attachments).

Go out and get the minifigures you want today :D
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

DrBeaker
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Re: [Review] 8683 Collectible Minifigures Series 1

Post by DrBeaker » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:04 pm

Nice review, legitimatealex. I don't need more minifigs in my collection, but your review certainly tempts me :)
legitimatealex wrote:Here is a surprisingly not creepy Circus Clown.
Not sure I agree with that statement. He looks pretty creepy to me!

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:05 pm

DrBeaker wrote:
legitimatealex wrote:Here is a surprisingly not creepy Circus Clown.
Not sure I agree with that statement. He looks pretty creepy to me!
not as creepy as the USPS commercial one.
scary_usps_clown.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:41 pm

Thanks for the great review. I think nurse's syringe is scarier than the clown.

I find the collectible minifigs great for doing vignettes.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:56 pm

Pssh needles are nothing to be afraid about. They keep you healthy when filled with the right stuff. I think the robot is the one to be afraid about in this series. Those eyes are not friendly in any instance.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:31 pm

legitimatealex wrote:... I think the robot is the one to be afraid about in this series. Those eyes are not friendly in any instance.
I have 3 of them, they are my friends. :mrgreen:
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:16 pm

legitimatealex wrote:Pssh needles are nothing to be afraid about. They keep you healthy when filled with the right stuff. I think the robot is the one to be afraid about in this series. Those eyes are not friendly in any instance.
Who are you calling not friendly?

I'm really a friendly robot. :D

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:33 pm

The robot has HAL 9000 eyes. Case closed.