[Review] 8061 Gateway of the Squid

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate this set?

Excellent
100%
Average
No votes
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 2

slimninj4
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

[Review] 8061 Gateway of the Squid

Post by slimninj4 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:05 am

Indexed

8061 Gateway of the Squid
Price: $39.99 ( I got it 50%)
Pieces: 353
PPP: $.0.11
Minifigures: 3

BOX
The box is a standard lego. Front with the picture back with cool playability. This box is not the kind with a thumb cut out and rip open. just remove the tape and open. Better for storing like I do.
IMG_0402.JPG
Contents
Opening the box you get 3 numbered bags, 2 instruction booklets, and small sticker sheet. ( I don't use stickers).
IMG_0403.JPG
IMG_0404.JPG
Putting together
Bag 1. This bag is for the figs and creatures in the set. There are no vehicles in this one. Nothing really special about the parts.

Figs front. Yes the octo'man has reversed legs. I like it better that way. Notice the not so nice look on the male and a pissed off look on the female. Great prints on the torso and legs. Octo'man has a great head print.
IMG_0407.JPG
The figs have rear printing on the the torso.
IMG_0408.JPG
With helms and faceplates.
IMG_0409.JPG
All of bag one completed. The long arms on the squid monster are flexible and a great add on for any set. Notice that the mouth has 2 different style teeth! The smaller white squid not so impressive.
IMG_0413.JPG
Bag 2 parts. Start to build the base. Notice that the way its constructed one door will open offset to the other, but close cleanly. Very nice detail.
IMG_0414.JPG
Bag 3. Second part of the base and the largest of the three bags. There is a lever for a trap door that is connected to the treasure chest but I do not like how it is executed it. I have seen better on other sets.
IMG_0422.JPG
Completed Set. The two sea creatures connect via long bars to the base which makes for great display.
IMG_0423.JPG
Final Thoughts
Leave the pro's and con's to you guys. What I like about this set is it is pretty easy to build. The instructions are clearly build for younger folk since only a few parts per page were used. At 40$ it is a bit pricey in count per prices but legos are moving up in price lately. That being said, this is one of my favorite sets. It makes for great playability and display. The mini-figs are great and can be used in MOCs.

It is simple to put together and the parts will make great for MOCs for other creatures.
4.5/5 overall
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.