Painting LEGOs

Every week, a LEGO(My Own Creation) posted here will be featured on our front page. Got a cool creation? Share it! This is also the place to share your building tips and ideas as well as LEGO IDEAS.
Aeroconn
I'm New !

Painting LEGOs

Post by Aeroconn » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:20 pm

Greetings All!

I'm new to this forum. I did a search and couldn't find this topic.

First a quick background. I am using LEGO Digital Designer to create a scale model of a new building that is currently under construction. One of the issues I've quickly seen is that not all bricks come in the colors I need.

So, my question is... Has anyone successfully used spray paint to custom color LEGO bricks? One of the parts of my project is a communications (radio) tower. I have found the parts to build it, but the parts only come in black and I would like it to be a metallic aluminum or silver color.

I know that some spray paints don't adhere well to plastic. So, if anyone has used a spray paint to custom color a LEGO brick, I'd appreciate hearing from you on what brand and also what technique you may have used.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Aeroconn

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: Painting LEGOs

Post by lego the hutt » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:45 pm

I recommend going on youtube and looking up one of the multiple minifigure customizers and contact them...though the ones that do it right probably use printing and not paint. Some of them do pretty good painted customizations.

You might find some bias against things like painting or gluing Lego. Sometimes people feel pretty strongly that Lego should be able to be reused to build multiple types of creations over and over.

My question is why did you decide to use Lego to build the model of your building? Surely you can get more detail using another medium.