Legos and Mold

Every week, a LEGO(My Own Creation) posted here will be featured on our front page. Got a cool creation? Share it! This is also the place to share your building tips and ideas as well as LEGO IDEAS.
Richard J.
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Legos and Mold

Post by Richard J. » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:16 pm

I hope to move into my grandparent's old house in a few months. The Lego movie gave me the idea to turn part of the basement into a Lego den of awesome. However, my grandfather was kind of an "I am always right" sort who thought he knew how to do everything so the basement was never really properly water sealed and has way more humidity than the norm. (He "knew" how to do it better than the builders!) So while I hope that a good coat of moisture sealing paint, and a dehumidifier, will keep things drier there has been a mold problem in the past.

I'm wondering if mold is a problem with Legos. I've always tried to keep all of my bricks and minifigs clean, dry, and unbroken so I'm not sure how much dampness they could or couldn't take. Does the type of plastic they're made of even mold?

Also, does anyone know what a humid basement would do to stickers? Any general advice for someone wanting to set up a Lego zone in their basement?

grommom
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: Legos and Mold

Post by grommom » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:03 am

I'd be a little wary, my condo at one time was right near a bunch of man made ponds, so it was very humid and I had a mold problem in my closet, oddly on some plastic boxes.... They were that soft flexible plastic and the mold could be cleaned off, but what a pain. I ended up running a small dehumidifier and using those things that suck moisture out of the air. You can also look into having a fungicide put in the paint, should you decide to repaint the room.

Richard J.
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Richard J. » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:29 pm

Thanks for the response!

The basement pretty much has to have a dehumidifier (we found that out the hard way!) and repainting is already budgeted. Seems like from your experience that should take care of it.

Were there any labels on those plastic boxes? I'm curious because that might indicate sticker response to a more humid environment. (Not that it could hurt some of my sets. The stickers are falling off some of them).

grommom
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by grommom » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:39 pm

Sorry, no stickers, I'm not that organized :)