[Entries] Microbuild LEGO Tournament 2012

Vote, View and participate in our LEGO Contests to win awesome LEGO prizes.
JackJonespaw
I'm New !

Re: [Entries] Microbuild LEGO Tournament 2012

Post by JackJonespaw » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:13 pm

My entry: The Newspaper Building
184 Pieces

Enjoy!
Last edited by JackJonespaw on Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

blackpyre
Citizen
Citizen

Post by blackpyre » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:47 pm

Wow JackJonespaw!

You must have some awesome writers working in that mini building since that looks like what comes out of it! Great job!

Will
Last edited by blackpyre on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pterribilis
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by pterribilis » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:30 pm

Thanks to those that gave me constructive criticism regarding the size of my Entry. I have revised it four times where three of them were too big. I reckon I have gone from Too big to Minifig size, to Minisize, to Microsize. The comments have truely challenged my ability to build and I thank you for that.

Please see my newest creation and my final entry to the contest comprising of 110 pieces:

I have tried to incorporate elements such as a Exhaust at the roof, lights behind the iconic arches for those who have the midnight munchies, and tried to keep with the color theme of most McDonalds around the world. Red, White, and Yellow.

Thanks for viewing :) :mrgreen:
Last edited by pterribilis on Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:07 pm, edited 5 times in total.

JackJonespaw
I'm New !

Post by JackJonespaw » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:45 pm

pterribilis wrote:Well, here it is. My first try at doing a MOC and boy was this hard trying to do a micro modular. The first time I built it WAY too big, but I guess this is could pass as the right size? 188 pieces

and to truely keep with the Modular idea, It comes apart in two levels:

The other level is on flickr.
I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be minifig scale, but micro scale.

pterribilis
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by pterribilis » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:55 pm

geez, i thought it was small enough. Admin, can i get your comments regarding scale please? The number of pieces is Not over the limit. Please let me know so i have time to redesign.

I guess this should qualify now as a Microbuild. :mrgreen:

blackpyre
Citizen
Citizen

Post by blackpyre » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:53 pm

I know the the best advice is to look at the actual model or at the very least look at the instructions. However, the first may be difficult and the second can feel a bit disconnected. So here's my own rule of thumb when I worked on my entry.

Generally each floor should be seven plates high. There is room for more in case you have floors that are meant to be larger.

Additionally, it's safe to have one to two plates between floors. That means you should have a building roughly around 27 Plates (9 Bricks) to 30 Plates (10 Bricks) tall. This does not include any special signs, towers, flags, etc. That should be pure building to match the scale of the Mini Modulars. This is for a 3 level building. If you go smaller I'd simply suggest counting the floors carefully as needed.

As for the footing, 8x8 works well. Of course with the Town Hall that is not a rule that is set in stone. In that case I'd recommend sticking with the front to back dimensions as 8 studs. The side to side might be fine if you did 8 or 10 studs.

If you want the building able to connect with the other mini modulars use a 1x2 Technic Brick with 2 pin holes. Place them in the center of an 8 long section of your plate to match up correctly.

Beyond this I'd say if you want to scale down a minifigure model simply take a normal brick and replace it with a plate's thickness. You'll probably need to expand your techniques when it comes to the side to side scaling, but the height will go a long way in getting the scale looking right.

Good luck and I hoped that helped. Unfortunately I'm not an admin so this is just advice. :)

Will

soulless_minion
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by soulless_minion » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:48 am

I'm loving it...

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:19 pm

pterribilis wrote:geez, i thought it was small enough. Admin, can i get your comments regarding scale please? The number of pieces is Not over the limit. Please let me know so i have time to redesign.

I guess this should qualify now as a Microbuild. :mrgreen:
Hi pterribilis

While I do admire your creation, it does look a bit big. Your creation should not look too out of place from the official mini modular buildings. For your reference, each individual building from that set measures roughly 2.5" (6.5 cm) long and 2.5" (6.5 cm) wide.

Good luck! :)

pterribilis
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by pterribilis » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:10 pm

Ice wrote:...it does look a bit big. Your creation should not look too out of place from the official mini modular buildings. Good luck! :)
Thanks for that. I have revised my entry to be in line with what appears to be the "standard" 8X8 base plate and no more than 8 bricks tall.

blackpyre
Citizen
Citizen

Post by blackpyre » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:48 pm

pterribilis wrote:
Ice wrote:...it does look a bit big. Your creation should not look too out of place from the official mini modular buildings. Good luck! :)
Thanks for that. I have revised my entry to be in line with what appears to be the "standard" 8X8 base plate and no more than 8 bricks tall.
I do want to point out, for this being your first MOC attempt you picked a very advanced level of building. As far as first attempts go, you had an exceptional first try.

I also want to point out that the building may be around 8 - 9 bricks tall, but your sign can go beyond it. In fact the Grand Emporium measures around 11 bricks if you measure to the top of the sign.

I only say that so you can do justice to your golden arches. :)

Keep up the nice building.

Will

RainingBoroSI02
Peasant
Peasant

Post by RainingBoroSI02 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:29 am

Here is my entry for the 2012 Microbuild Contest - a Theater and Police Station.
Total number of parts = 297
DSCF2631.JPG
The Theater has a marque sign, movie posters, ticket booth and spot lights in front.

The Police Station has a "Police" sign and a micro police officer with K9 unit in front.
DSCF2635.JPG
In the reverse of the two buildings is more detail. The Theater has a rear exit lit by a lamp and the Police Station has a rear garage with a police car leaving.

See more of my pictures and how I built this at http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainingbor ... 226339696/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This contest has been a blast, and it has deepened my love of the modular line; I just got the Fire Brigade and Minimodulars. Thanks to ToysNBricks, admins and all who have entered.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

unbornchikken
Citizen
Citizen

Post by unbornchikken » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:28 am

Set Name: Executive Plaza
Piece Count: 264
Flickr Set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/legowild/s ... 227232112/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This was a challenging and interesting build for me. My main goals were to stay true to LEGO's original Mini Modulars set, use a combination of dark red and dark orange to create an interesting facade, as well as to try to restrict myself to a box/square-like build that would be appropriate to a place of work.

Please do check out more pictures of the set via my Flickr stream linked above.

Thanks for looking and good luck to all the contestants! ;-)
Last edited by unbornchikken on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

ezra
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by ezra » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:39 am

amazing, this contest is really picking up. wow. great job everybody! also, i'm suddenly craving bacon after viewing that executive plaza. =)

lemus
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by lemus » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:41 pm

Hi,
I am presenting you my hospital it is called "NEW LIFE GENERAL HOSPITAL"
MAIN.JPG
I posted here a version of my entry to the contest a month ago (yes I confused the deadline...), but I rebuilt it and hopefully improved it. Here is the link to the flickr album containing my new model.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76149250@N ... 803323629/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You can browse my flickr account if you are still curious to see the old model.

The number of pieces was 296. I made a replica of the model in LDD to make sure this number was accurate. If you would like to see the LDD document I am happy to email it to you, just ask me by PM.

The height, floor to roof, is 10 bricks plus 1 plate. I did not count the helicopter for this number.
MAINopen.JPG
Here is a first description of the rooms; each have separate pictures which you can see on flickr.

On bottom we have the lobby and the garage for the ambulance. There are stairs from the street to the lobby and from the lobby to garage. Everything else is connected via the elevator in the middle which is made with DBG 1x1 bricks.

On the left wing we have 2 floors of bedrooms. On the right wing we have the surgery room on the second floor and the MRI scanner on the third floor.

The roof has a heliport with a rescue helicopter on top. On the right side we see the communications antenna. The 4 LBG slopes on the walls are lamps for the outside lightening.

There are emergency stairs on the back. A small garden with a tree and a toxic waste disposal container.

Thank you for viewing my entry. And good luck to everybody.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by lemus on Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

lemus
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by lemus » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:31 pm

LOL. I thought the deadline of the contest was today!!! That is why I did everything in such a hurry. And it took me 28 minutes to realize that the contest was not closed because of this. Well now I have more time to build the helicopter, make updates and above all take better pictures :) Anybody who wants to give me feedback on what to change please do. Thanks.

dilbert12
Knight
Knight

Post by dilbert12 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:13 pm

lemus wrote:
Thank you for looking at my hospital.

A brief description: 3 floors hospital. With surgery room: middle right. CAT scaner: upper right. Emergency room/ Ambulance entrance: first/base floor.
Bedrooms left.
Heliport on top. Garden on the back.

Elevator: middle conrner right part.
It has compatibility to attach to other minis at the sides.
I like how you have actual interior and it splits open. Very creative.

ezra
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by ezra » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:23 am

Micropolis Pokemon City Series: 299pcs

Pokecenter: 122pcs
Pokemart: 97pcs
Grass Gym: 80pcs

Microscale: Pokemon Buildings by Ezractly, on Flickr

Microscale: Pokemon Buildings by Ezractly, on Flickr

The Pokecenter, 122 pieces, has two levels. On the first floor, there's a tree, the iconic healing machine behind the red counter, and a PC to sort your items and Pokemon in boxes, and a tree in the other corner. On the second floor, you have access to the trade in one room and battle in the other behind the counter. And again, the tree and PC in their proper corners.

The Pokemart, 97 pieces, just like any other, sells all the necessities any trainer would need to carry on his/her journey. On the left, there is a tree for decoration, a glass display case, and a register on the counter. And the right, to keep things neat and tidy, there is another display to keep things organized and shelves on the wall.

The Grass Gym, 80 pieces. Plain and simple, the gym is decorated with plants and flowers on the exterior. Removing the Building from its base will reveal the standard Pokemon Battlefield. This is where Pokemon Trainers challenge the Gym Leader for a chance to win a badge.

For more details, click the following link for more pictures:
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjzgh96k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you for viewing. =)
Last edited by ezra on Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Jolster
I'm New !

Post by The Jolster » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:58 am

This is my mini modular street made up of three buildings. On the far left we have a Hotel in the middle a bank and on the right we have a Library :-D . The street is made out of 300 pieces exactly. The Hotel has 86 pieces, the Bank 112 and the Library 102. The tallest building, the Hotel is 9 bricks tall, the Library 8 bricks 1 plates and the bank is 8 bricks 2 plates. On the Banks street level we have a bin and a cash machine. I have been building these after school everyday for the past week and although it's been very hard to build these, mainly to make them have only 300 peices I have had lots of fun :-D
Last edited by The Jolster on Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

blackpyre
Citizen
Citizen

Post by blackpyre » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:26 am

The Jolster wrote:This is my mini modular bank which is built from 112 pieces :-D
Nice bank. I think it's because I'm a big fan of gray.

Will
Last edited by blackpyre on Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Jolster
I'm New !

Post by The Jolster » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:36 am

Thanks