[Entries] Microbuild LEGO Tournament 2012

Vote, View and participate in our LEGO Contests to win awesome LEGO prizes.
unclephn
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: [Entries] Microbuild LEGO Tournament 2012

Post by unclephn » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:21 pm

Here's my official entry, the LEGO City Library (232 pieces)

LEGO City Library by unclephn, on Flickr

LEGO City Library by unclephn, on Flickr

I've always been drawn to works of architecture that are modern and simple with clean lines, but still pay homage and respect to last century's works. What I tried to do here is maintain a look most commonly associated with grand libraries (19th century architecture, complete with columns), but give it a modern touch with a large glass facade just behind the
front columns. A large glass ceiling also covers the building, to let in as much natural light as possible.

It's a little difficult to see in the above photos, but I built a small interior for the first and second floors, complete with bookshelves! I wanted light to be able to shine through the 'glass' ceiling and into the interior of the library, to give off a feeling of a grandeur and importance. I tried to imagine this feeling if this were a minifig-scale modular, and tried to somewhat capture that in microscale.

This is actually my first ever MOC as an adult, and first time ever trying to wrap my head around building in microscale. I have to admit, I wasn't the biggest fan of microscale, but after this build, I definitely have a new appreciation for it. It was actually a lot of fun, and I intend on building more of my own mini-modulars!

Thanks TnB for hosting this awesome contest!

egalluzzo
I'm New !

Post by egalluzzo » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:20 pm

Wow, lots of great entries so far! Here's my entry, the Mini Modular Office, clocking in at 299 pieces:

Mini Modular Office - Front by egalluzzo, on Flickr

Mini Modular Office - Back by egalluzzo, on Flickr

Since the building is full of windows, and in the spirit of the big modular buildings, I decided to make a full interior, which you can see in the photoset on Flickr. The interior of the first floor includes a lobby with security guard's desk, potted plants, visitors' couch, office directory and tiled floor. The second floor interior has a private office with chair and desk, plus a snack area with table, refrigerator and water cooler. The third floor is a large conference room with a big table and fancy chairs. There's also an air conditioning system and so forth on the roof, but I just realized that I don't have any pictures of those...oops.

My goal was to make a typical office building with lots of windows, but with a traditional architecture that would fit in with the other mini modulars. This building is actually loosely based on an LDD-only "big" modular building that I created a while back. (Yes, I was too cheap to actually order the bricks for that one!) It is constructed by fairly simple techniques: there's not a lot of SNOT work, even on the insides, but I still think it turned out reasonably well. The bits that I like the best are the canopy over the entrance in the front, and the tree in the back. Actually, the tree looks even better with four 1x1 round plates between the two 2x2 round green plates; this can also make the tree look like it's flowering if non-green plates are used. However, doing so would have put the creation over the maximum brick count, so I left them out.

I hope you like it! Thanks goes to TnB for hosting this great contest and getting me to finally build something, and to my son for (mostly unbeknownst to him) letting me borrow some of his bricks! If there is interest, I can post the LDD file; just let me know.
Last edited by egalluzzo on Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Calculus3.14
I'm New !

Post by Calculus3.14 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:33 am

Here is my entry, titled "LEGO County Public Library." It is built with 213 pieces, and has tables, chairs, books, shelves, windows, and plants throughout the three-story building.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Calculus3.14 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Emjade99
I'm New !

Post by Emjade99 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:06 pm

This Mini modular is a Barbershop, with a dance studio on the second floor. It has 146 pieces.
Thx to TnB for having this great contest, and good luck to everyone that's entered. :wave:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Emjade99 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

expos94
I'm New !

Post by expos94 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:57 pm

This is my first contest entry for a custom model build. I've been a fan of the modular buildings, and have been impressed with the microscale versions.

This is a city church in basic gray stone intended to fit in with the other building on the same row of an older city. Main features include the circular stained glass window as the central feature, along with the arch and large wooden doors, colorful banners and two large trees that frame the entrance.

Total pieces is 197.

Angled view

Front elevation view

mossi
I'm New !

Post by mossi » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:06 am

Hi everybody,

I am new to the community and this is the first time I built a mini modular as well as the first time I take part in any LEGO related contest. Hence, I am quite curious, how this is going to turn out :-)

Here is my entry, it is a late-60ies office building with a fountain below it (a detailed picture of the fountain can be found and some windows having their shades lowered. The model is inspired by a building close to where I work and it consists of 123 pieces.

Good luck everybody and all the best from Germany!

Front view

Rear view

A detailed picture of the fountain can be found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/79098932@N ... otostream/

Pepper
I'm New !

Post by Pepper » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:53 pm

Here's my entry, the Galaxy, a Classic Space themed restaurant located in downtown LEGO City.

The Galaxy 3 by PepperSkywalker, on Flickr

The Galaxy 2 by PepperSkywalker, on Flickr

This entry consists of 239 pieces.

brandonrawks
I'm New !

Post by brandonrawks » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:34 pm

Good evening, and welcome to the Brickhouse Grill!

Consisting of 168 pieces, The Brickhouse Grill is the newest, hottest restaurant in town. A high end steakhouse converted from an old meat packing plant, the Brickhouse is now the place to see and be seen, while enjoying the most mouth watering steaks you've ever tasted! Care was taken during remodeling of the building to preserve the classic architecture, while bringing a sleek, modern, and elegant feel to the old plant, bringing with it an air of exclusivity! Signage was reused from the old plant (a giant steak) and new touches were added, such as the large gaslamps flanking the stainless steel front doors.

I hope you all enjoy the creation as much as I enjoyed building it! It was my first real MOC since my dark ages (other than just table scraps). Thank you to Toysnbricks.com for sponsoring such a wonderful contest and providing an awesome community for fans of LEGO, and good luck to all other entrants. I have to say, I'm beyond impressed with the excellent and creative entries here!

You can view a few more images on my flickr stream here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandonlus ... 082427577/

Front view:
Front by kingofallgadgets, on Flickr

Rear view:
Rear by kingofallgadgets, on Flickr

moofer
I'm New !

Post by moofer » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:51 pm

I'm also new to this lego MOC world. So many inspiring creations in this thread.

This is a modern Cafe that is made up by 172 pieces.

This bustling cafe has exceeded the local Starbucks as the busiest java house in town by hosting musical combos and roasting their own coffee beans on premises.
The second floor is office space for a small branch of a paper supply company and the workers can often be found hiding in the cafe booths sipping java and gossiping about each other.

Incidental details of this MOC include pedestrian walk light, mailbox, skylight, and a satellite dish.
The build is designed to be airy and bright, allowing suffused light to filter through the front door and windows via skylight and rear windows. The 2nd floor is very open by means of sideways facing panels covered by blue trans clear tiles to achieve the bright glass office appearance. A light brick can be added for additional effect.

The stickers are from set # 8487 (Flo's V8 Cafe), and are similar to the printed pieces used in some of the other entry's.

Corner view

Side view

http://flic.kr/p/byWSgJ to details
Last edited by moofer on Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

CarsonHart
I'm New !

Post by CarsonHart » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:35 pm

Here's my entry! Talk about last minute! :lol: I really wanted to enter in this contest so I put this little Victorian Building together just in time. I figured, I liked that kind of architecture, so why not enter it?
Hope you like it, and good luck to everyone else!

Pieces: 146

Miniscale Victorian House by Carson Hart, on Flickr

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:42 am

Contest is now closed (we're ending it 12 hours late because of the server migration). Voting will begin shortly.

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:05 am

@ Calculus3.14, Emjade99 and mossi

I've unlocked the topic for you now to reupload your pictures as they were lost during the server migration yesterday. Please try to do it at your earliest convenience.

EDIT: I helped you guys put the pictures back on from Flickr. However, I can't find Emjade99 creation on Flickr...