[Contest] Microbuild LEGO Tournament 2012 Contest

Vote, View and participate in our LEGO Contests to win awesome LEGO prizes.
Toys N Bricks
Administrator
Administrator

[Contest] Microbuild LEGO Tournament 2012 Contest

Post by Toys N Bricks » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:32 pm

Our Microbuild LEGO Tournament is back! Last year, contestants had to build a UCS set in micro form. This year, the challenge is to build your own custom LEGO mini modular building with no more than 300 pieces. By "custom", we mean modular buildings that have not been made by the LEGO Group (i.e it cannot be a mini modular based on Fire Brigade, Pet Shop, Town Hall, etc).

Up for grabs this year for our Microbuild LEGO Tournament Contest will be a brand-new copy of the highly anticipated LEGO exclusive 10224 Town Hall set. More details can be found below. You will get 2 months to design and build your creation. Use your pieces wisely and good luck!

Official contest launch date is February 15 and will run until April 15. If you have a question regarding this contest, please post it here.

Contest Rules
  • You can use up to a maximum of 300 pieces
  • Your entry must be a new modular building designed by you
  • Your entry cannot be based on an official LEGO modular building
  • Entries must be completely new (you cannot use it in another contest, event, etc)
  • Entries must be built with LEGO pieces (no LDD, custom brands, stickers, other objects used)
  • If you have won the last LEGO Building Contest (Holiday LEGO Building Contest 2011), you are not allowed to enter
  • All basic contest rules followed
Submit your Entry
  • Please submit your entries in this topic
  • Details on how to submit are also available there
Evaluation
  • Contest evaluation will be based on votes from members
  • If there is a tie, there will either be another voting round for the 2 contestants or the staff will make the final call
Deadline: Contest ends on April 15 at 21:00 PST (April 16 - 0:00 EST).
*All entries that fails to meet the above guidelines by the deadline will be disqualified.

Prizes

Grand Prize
The Grand Prize Winner will receive a brand-new copy of the new and exclusive LEGO 10224 Town Hall Modular Building.

2nd Place
The Second Place Winner will receive a brand-new copy of the LEGO Cars 8638 Spy Jet Escape set (no box) along with 3 mini sets: City 7566 Farmer, Star Wars 30053 Republic Cruiser and Toy Story 30070 Alien Spaceship.

Toys N Bricks reserves the right to modify or change the rules at anytime.
By accepting the prize, you have read and understood the rules and our basic contests & prizes rules.
Toys N Bricks
A LEGO Fan Community. Like us on FaceBook and follow us on Twitter!

bono1900
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Re: Microbuild LEGO Tournament 2012 Contest

Post by bono1900 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:10 am

Such a great challenge! Makes me wish I did not partycipate in the last contest! :)

akunthita
Citizen
Citizen

Post by akunthita » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:22 am

Great challenge! Thanks for running this! Just a few questions;

1. Does the mini-modular building has to fit into the current mini-modular line? Meaning; it has to be a contemporary city set? Or could it be a competely different theme? (Like the CUUSOO Western modulars project, or any other theme?)

2. Does it have to be the same size as the official LEGO mini-modulars? Or could it be a different scale?

3. Does the building has to be modular? (Meaning; the different levels of the building are separate, and perhaps can be stacked in different orders, or directions.)

4. Does it have to be one building, or can it be a whole micro-series? :roll:
Tips & tricks with LEGO Bricks! http://thebrickblogger.com/

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:54 am

akunthita wrote:1. Does the mini-modular building has to fit into the current mini-modular line? Meaning; it has to be a contemporary city set? Or could it be a competely different theme? (Like the CUUSOO Western modulars project, or any other theme?)
This, I'm not sure on and would defer to Ice. I would think, though, that it shouldn't look out of place between two official Mini Modular buildings. That said, I think if you were to create a mini western saloon or mini 'Space Police Central', it would just look like a 'theme restaurant' betwixt the official models, so I don't think it really matters much what 'theme' you choose.
2. Does it have to be the same size as the official LEGO mini-modulars? Or could it be a different scale?
Mini-modular scale, it should be able to fit in between any two official Mini Modular buildings and not look out of place. Bear in mind, however, how large the Town Hall is compared to others - there's some room for variance.
3. Does the building has to be modular? (Meaning; the different levels of the building are separate, and perhaps can be stacked in different orders, or directions.)
The Mini Modular buildings aren't 'modular' in terms of floors, they're just regularly stacked bricks/plates - they're so small, it's not really possible to make it reconfigurable that way.

That said, I'm not sure the term 'modular' in the full-scale series refers to the floor stacking, but to the fact that you can connect two or more of them in a row in multiple ways to make your own modular city street.
4. Does it have to be one building, or can it be a whole micro-series? :roll:
The piece count for each individual building in the Mini Modulars set tops out around 270 or so. If you can build an entire series of custom Mini Modulars in-scale within the piece count limit of 300, go ahead, it will definitely be a challenge ;-)
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

akunthita
Citizen
Citizen

Post by akunthita » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:44 am

Thanks! I think that clarifies most of the details; so it should be a mini-modular that would fit into the street-layout of the official mini-modulars. So, I assume that means it should be on an 8x8 plate? And with a hight of about 9-10 bricks? I don't own the mini-modulars, but it seems from the pictures that the roof-line is 9 or 10 bricks tall (without the extras like towers, etc.). Is that correct? Just want to make sure before starting to design something. :think:

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:57 am

Yeah, that sounds right - for inspiration or an idea on the general scale, you should be able to grab the Mini Modular instruction PDFs over at Brickset.

akunthita
Citizen
Citizen

Post by akunthita » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:09 am

Great idea, thanks! :up:

Aladar
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Aladar » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:39 pm

Why no LDD? My collection is inaccessible for the moment...

harrelmusic
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by harrelmusic » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:29 pm

Part of what makes the Mini Modulars look so good is the fact that we know what the "real" buildings look like.

Should be fun to see some buildings created just for the occasion and see if the results are just as good (I'm sure they will be!)

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:45 pm

vynsane wrote:
akunthita wrote:1. Does the mini-modular building has to fit into the current mini-modular line? Meaning; it has to be a contemporary city set? Or could it be a competely different theme? (Like the CUUSOO Western modulars project, or any other theme?)
This, I'm not sure on and would defer to Ice. I would think, though, that it shouldn't look out of place between two official Mini Modular buildings. That said, I think if you were to create a mini western saloon or mini 'Space Police Central', it would just look like a 'theme restaurant' betwixt the official models, so I don't think it really matters much what 'theme' you choose.
I think vynsane summed up everything already. :up:

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:22 pm

Starting tonight. Going to get on top of this thing! Mini really isn't my scale though. Hmmm but I do want that Town Hall.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

silvashado
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by silvashado » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:13 am

Really looking forward to this. I've been quite excited about mini building since we finished building the mini modulars a couple of weeks ago. This is great inspiration! Thanks. :-D

mrklaw
I'm New !

Post by mrklaw » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:20 am

Hi,
Age limit is 13 years for posting on here, but is it allowed for me to submit something my 10 year old built? Ever since we bought the mini modulars he's loved experimenting with microscale houses.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:38 am

Hi, mrklaw, and welcome to TnB!

You can enter your child's build as long as it has't been posted/entered into a contest elsewhere. The rules also state that there is only one entry per user. Since you would be submitting your child's build under your username, that means you wouldn't be able to submit another entry for yourself. As long as both of these stipulations are met, by all means - please enter!

agrahmann
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by agrahmann » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:44 pm

Can we enter more than once?

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:35 pm

agrahmann wrote:Can we enter more than once?
The rules state it is one entry per person. ;-)

The rules are here: http://toysnbricks.com/about/contests-prizes-rules/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

agrahmann
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by agrahmann » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:35 am

atmail35 wrote: The rules state it is one entry per person. ;-)

The rules are here: http://toysnbricks.com/about/contests-prizes-rules/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Perfect. Saw the specific contest results, but hadn't looked into the overarching guidelines. Thanks!

One more clarification - can we rescind an entry in favor of a newer one? The rules list the ability to modify an entry, but can that be a complete swap?

JackJonespaw
I'm New !

Post by JackJonespaw » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:45 pm

Can we use custom stickers?

Brickbuilder0937
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by Brickbuilder0937 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:10 am

JackJonespaw wrote:Can we use custom stickers?
Sorry, according to the rules no custom stickers are allowed.

nick91884
Knight
Knight

Post by nick91884 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:20 pm

Have yet to make a moc, I think I will try this! One question, how the heck do you guys keep track of the number of parts? Just count as you go? take pictures and disassemble?

Also I dont own the mini modulars, Ill have to look at your mocs to get an idea of dimensions and where the connector bricks go on the sides.