[Review] 21004 Solomon R Guggenheim Museum (Architecture)

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
Luciant
Count
Count

[Review] 21004 Solomon R Guggenheim Museum (Architecture)

Post by Luciant » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:07 pm

Indexed

21004 Solomon R Guggenheim Museum
21004-1.jpg
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Set Details:
(Architecture) Released 2009
209 Pieces with 0 Minifigs
Retail Price: $39.99 USD
Price Per Piece: $0.19
Brickset Description: Solomon Guggenheim Museum
A landmark of organic architectural design!

2009 marks the 50th anniversary of one of New York City's best-known museums, the Solomon R. Guggenheim. Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, one of the greatest architects of the 20th century, the museum opened just six months after he passed away. This intricately built LEGO model, co-developed and designed by architect Adam Reed Tucker, celebrates Frank Lloyd Wright's innovative vision and organic architectural style. The assembled Solomon R. Guggenheim museum model stands 4" (102 mm) tall on a gray and black base with printed name label and includes a booklet with facts about the building, its construction and its history. Perfect for any New Yorker, world tourist or architecture fan! Replica of real-world architectural landmark Solomon R. Guggenheim museum! Booklet included with details on design and history! (English language only) Measures 4" (102 mm) tall

Background
As you know by now, I finally hunted this theme down at Barnes and Nobles, and with all the deals that we've been offered by them lately, I couldn't help but try to get the more expensive sets at the best discounts... Thank you viewforum.php?f=6 TnB forums for keeping me up to date with the deals. This set looked to be a little bit cooler than the rest, so I was excited to see if this would live up to the hype.
Box Top.jpg
Box Bottom.jpg
Box Side1.jpg
Box Side2.jpg
Box Opened.jpg
Box Opened2.jpg
The box for this set is very sharp and clean like the rest of the theme. Very professional looking, with no alternate builds, only schematics of the building. As with the other sets in this theme, I decided NOT to break down the box for this set since it is so awesome.

Minifigs
There are NO minifigs in this set or theme. It's an architecture theme so it sticks to just building/landscapes. That is the only drawback of this theme...

Instruction
Instructions.jpg
The instructions have a nice binding more than just your typical staple and crease.
Inst01.jpg
The inside of the instructions follow the theme and have history and facts about the building. This theme also has a nice feature where it highlights in red all the pieces you place on the build each step.

Parts/Stickers
The only unique piece in this set is the pre-printed nameplate piece. Other than that, the set comes with a decent number of beige small pieces which will be helpful for future MOCs. Another nice feature of this set/theme is that there are NO stickers!
Experience.jpg
Enjoy your experience building this set.

Construction
01 Base.jpg
The set starts off with a nice base, outlined in black smooth bricks, with the preprinted nameplate in front to create a nice display.
02 Base.jpg
03 Base.jpg
Looks like the base is going to be all white with the slots appearing to be the areas where the Cylindrical parts of the building will be.
04 base.jpg
05 Base.jpg
Nice round front corners of the building. You see in the back the beginning of the long beige rectangular building and the beginning of the circular parts as well.
06 Base.jpg
07 Base.jpg
Here we are connecting the to cylindrical parts of the building in a nice walkway. In a way it kind of reminds of me a hospital.. I don't know why.
08 Building.jpg
09 Building.jpg
These steps mainly focus on the back rectangular building. As you see there is also a few smooth bricks placed on the back to finish the base of that buildings... I think it's time to really put up the interesting parts.
10 Discs.jpg
As with most Lego builds, with cylindrical buildings, they use a small piece in the middle to give it stability. Lego always trying to make sure sets don't randomly fall apart.
11 Discs.jpg
12 Almost done.jpg
Here we are finishing up the cylindrical building, as well as the background tall beige building.

Complete.jpg
And here we have the completed building =) Very nice looking, and great representation of the real thing.

Now for some closeups / other angles
Complete Side.jpg
Complete Side2.jpg
Complete.jpg
Complete Back.jpg
Summary

Building: 4 / 5
Appearance: 5 / 5
Pieces: 4 / 5
Value: 2 / 5
Playability: 1 / 5
Overall: 2.8 / 5

Building:
Building this set was fun. I love how they create a border and a nice base. Lego takes great steps to make sure it is stable and wont fall apart. Other than that, nothing to crazy or hard. I like the way they use the pieces to create this appearance.

Appearance:
Maybe I'm biased toward these sets, but so far every one that I've put together and reviewed has been outstanding in terms of it's appearance. The buildings they mimic are unique and interesting to look at, and make nice show pieces. The way the theme creates the borders makes it perfect for display.

Pieces:
This set fought off my negative penalty for lack of unique bricks by having so many small beige bricks that are helpful for MOCs. There aren't any big pieces, but the price of the set will prohibit you from buying it to plunder the pieces for other purposes.

Value:
The PPP for this set is ridiculously high, which brings the value down. Coupled with that is the fact that it has almost no playability. You aren't going to buy this set for it's pieces or play value, so IMO its only worth it to collectors and those who want to put it on display.

Playability:
There is almost no playability with this set. It is so small you would not use it for any playing with minifigs. The only thing I see happening is putting in your city for variety purposes.

Overall:
This set is a nice one to look at and display, but I cannot recommend it for the average Lego buyer. I feel you should be able to have some relatively decent playability or value to purchase a set, unless your a collector or wanting to complete a theme. So wait for some 30-50% off deal to pop up by checking the forums if you MUST have this set like i did.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.