[REVIEW]: 6862 Superman vs Power Armor Lex

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

Rate this set:

Excellent
71%
Average
29%
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 17

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

[REVIEW]: 6862 Superman vs Power Armor Lex

Post by hatcher » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:29 am

Indexed

Set Name:Superman vs Power Armor Lex
Set Number: 6862
Theme: DC Universe Super Heroes
Year: 2012
Pieces: 207
Minifigures: 3
MSRP: $24.99 (CDN) $19.99 (USD)

Description from Shop@Home:
Take on Lex Luthor and his kryptonite gun to free Wonder Woman!

Superman’s™ arch enemy Lex Luthor has built a kryptonite-powered robot and has captured Wonder Woman. Can Superman™ dodge the strength-sapping power of Luthor’s kryptonite gun and make light work of his evil nemesis! Includes 3 minifigures: Superman™, Wonder Woman and Lex Luthor.

Includes 3 minifigures: Superman™, Wonder Woman and Lex Luthor
Features kryptonite robot and kryptonite gun
Kryptonite robot features movable fingers for grabbing Wonder Woman
Dodge Lex Luthor’s kryptonite gun!
Includes comic book!
Kryptonite robot measures over 5” (15cm) tall

link: http://shop.lego.com/en-CA/Superman-vs- ... r-Lex-6862

Name two things kids (and geeky adults) love. LEGO and Super Heroes. So, it was no surprise that we got a whole whack of Super Hero themed sets this year. The one criticism that I keep hearing from fans is that most of the DC themed sets, were redoes of sets that came out a few years ago (The Batcave, the Batmobile, etc). This set however, is completely new. Lets see if how it measures up.

First up, we have the front of the box. On the box, you see Superman battling Lex Luthor's Krytonite power mecha. Lex has captured Wonder Woman. Now, that's my first problem. Kryptonite (for those of you who have been living in a cave on Mars for the last 50 years) kills Superman. Kills. As in DEAD. So why in the world do we have Superman playing the roll of rescuer, and Wonder Woman in jeopardy? Should have been the other way around. Anyway, putting that aside, the set is your only way (for the moment) of getting any of those mini figures, and Luthor's power armor has some interesting looking pieces in it, so so far, I'm impressed.

IMG_7598 by hatcherman, on Flickr

The back of the box shows that the suit is actually quite pose-able, and that the BFG (big freaking gun) he's carrying is removable.

IMG_7599 by hatcherman, on Flickr

Inside the box, we have 3 unnumbered bags, a long section of flexible hose, a single instruction book, and a comic. No stickers! And there was much rejoicing.

IMG_7600 by hatcherman, on Flickr

A random page from the instruction book. The steps are numbered, showing which parts you need to complete the step. I like it when LEGO includes that, since I always miss a part or two otherwise.

IMG_7601 by hatcherman, on Flickr

A page from the comic book. Here you can see all the figures available in this wave.

IMG_7602 by hatcherman, on Flickr

The parts. Lots of green, purple and trans green parts here. Also lots of Technique parts so if you are buying it for the parts, be warned that you get a lot of pins, connectors, and hinges.

IMG_7603 by hatcherman, on Flickr

The mini figures. However you feel about the Armor, these are the real reason for getting this set. Three exclusive figures. Lex Luthor in black suit, Superman and Wonder Woman with Lasso of truth. If I have any complaints about these figures they reside only with Superman and Wonder Woman. Lex is perfect the way he is. Superman has a double sided face, with what I can only guess to be a mad look, and a slightly madder look. Not really sure what that's about. Wonder Woman's issue is more annoying, and it has to do with her torso. Its hard to see from this picture, but its more apparent in the next picture. If you've ever seen Wonder Woman (in comic form or on TV), you know that she wears an outfit that is rather skimpy. Her top has no sleeves, or straps, so her arms, shoulders, upper back and the area below the neck are showing. And the torso does reflect this from the front and back, HOWEVER, the sides of the torso are a solid color, so you can see red coming up her sides, across the top of the torso and down the other side. I realize that having red below the arms, and flesh color above would be very difficult (if not impossible) for LEGO to recreate. The female pirate and medieval peasants torsos had the same issue. It just looks wrong, if you know what I mean. Its too bad since the figure is otherwise excellent.

IMG_7605 by hatcherman, on Flickr

And from the back with hair removed. Wonder Woman also has two faces, Lex appears to have a single line going across the back of his torso.

IMG_7606 by hatcherman, on Flickr

On to the build. The only thing you have to build is the Power Armor. Here is the first thing you put together, one of the feet. Some interesting SNOT work here.

IMG_7607 by hatcherman, on Flickr

The foot with a leg attached. I wasn't expecting much in the way of the Armor, but as I put it together I had to admire the design of the build.

IMG_7608 by hatcherman, on Flickr

Leg with hip section.

IMG_7609 by hatcherman, on Flickr

Lower half of the armor completed. What impressed me was how pose-able this guy turned out to be. The legs have practically full range of motion at the ankle and hip. No knee joints, but due to the size of the model, they aren't needed.

IMG_7610 by hatcherman, on Flickr

Now on to the torso section where Lex sits.

IMG_7611 by hatcherman, on Flickr

The torso has been completed and attached. Behind the glass cockpit cover you can make out the two control sticks. It looks nice, but it does seem a little two simplistic.

IMG_7612 by hatcherman, on Flickr

The left arm is now attached. I was really impressed with the hand. It has three fingers, made up of those old Exo-Force arms and the tips look like the tips of flick fire missiles. The hand works quite nicely, it can hold things, and the arm has a shoulder and elbow joint that give this arm awesome pose-ability.

IMG_7613 by hatcherman, on Flickr

And the right arm. You may notice that this arm is slightly longer then the left. Same range of motion and excellent hand construction.

IMG_7614 by hatcherman, on Flickr

And finished model with the Kryptonite gun. You can see the gun is attached to a power supply (presumably of Kryptonite) on the back of model. I admit the armor looks kind of goofy, but as I've said before this thing has HUGE play value. You can make this guy do all kinds of stuff. Its well balanced too, so it doesn't tip over every five seconds. The few extra pieces that came with the set in front.

IMG_7615 by hatcherman, on Flickr

This is how the front of the box should have looked. Wonder Woman coming to save a severely weakened Superman.

IMG_7616 by hatcherman, on Flickr

"Mine's Bigger!" Dr Inferno is not impressed. Here we see Lex in his power armor beside Dr Inferno and his attack Robot from the Agents 2.0 series. Sadly for Lex, his armor is shorter. However, by not having any knees, his armor is more sturdy.

IMG_7617 by hatcherman, on Flickr

Strike a pose! I always suspected Lex was a closet fan of Saturday Night Fever and when I caught him doing this, I finally had my proof. Lex is "Stayin' Alive!"

IMG_7618 by hatcherman, on Flickr

Final thoughts. This set is a real winner. With 207 pieces, 3 exclusive mini figures and a price that isn't too outrageous for a licensed theme, you can't go wrong with this set. The figures are great (my complaints earlier do not take anything away from the set) and power armor that you can actually play with, this is a must buy set.

Ratings:

Minifigures 5/5
Parts 4/5
Play Value 5/5
Price 4/5 (Canadian pricing) 5/5 (American)

Overall score 4.8/5
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

lordharrier
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: [REVIEW]: 6862 Superman vs Power Armor Lex

Post by lordharrier » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:42 am

I feel the exact same way about this set. I absolutely love it. Well done review. Now if they only make Lex's other toys from Lego Batman 2 (Helicopters, Joker's Robot, Lex's Airship ..oooh that Airship)

starfire2
Knight
Knight

Post by starfire2 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:27 pm

Well done review, but I only got this set for the figures.

iccarus
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by iccarus » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:21 pm

The first set I picked up from the SH line and one of the best from the first wave. You review pretty much covers it all. I really enjoyed the design on the suit and I think it's a great set.

Tori Fauz
I'm New !

Post by Tori Fauz » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:29 am

Wow, nice review. They sell this set for $39 in Australia. Lego is more expensive here. I dont kno why. Just for your info.

Icetron
I'm New !

Post by Icetron » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:38 pm

Got this set on sale from Chapters (Canada) the other week, great set with great value and minifigures. Definitely recommended though the power suit is not perfect, still decent.