[REVIEW] 4182 -- Cannibal Escape (PotC)

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate this set?

Excellent
67%
Average
33%
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 6

DrBeaker
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

[REVIEW] 4182 -- Cannibal Escape (PotC)

Post by DrBeaker » Mon May 02, 2011 9:48 am

Indexed

[REVIEW] 4182 – The Cannibal Escape (Pirates of the Carribean)

My local Walmart had some of the new Pirates of the Caribbean (PotC) sets stocked this past weekend. While I was hoping for a first-hand look at the larger sets, they only had some of the smaller ones. Cannibal Escape caught my eye, both for the minifigures as well as the structural elements.

Set Details

4182 – The Cannibal Escape
Pieces = 279
Minifigures = Four
MSRP = $29.99
Price per piece = 10.7 cents/piece

Box

The box is one of the smaller packaging units that started to appear in 2011. I am guessing that the whole PotC line will use the more efficient box format. The front of the box has the theme’s logo across the top in blue with a picture of Jack in the upper right hand corner. The remainder of the front shows Jack and Will escaping from the cannibals.

The rear of the box gives a clearer picture of the elements included in this set. In addition to the minifigures, we get a scary looking throne, a small structure which holds the bone cage and a rather simple fire pit. The fire pit freely rotates (so you can get even cooking, I suppose) and there is a winch that allows you to raise and lower the bone cage.

Opening the Box & Minifigures

Inside the box, there are three numbered bags. This is the first set I’ve purchased that has the instruction manual packaged in its own bag with a cardboard backing. Unsurprisingly, it was in pristine condition! Even more interesting: there was no sticker sheet for this set!

I’ve noted in other reviews that the quantity of numbered bags has been going up in recent sets. For example, Bag 1 contains just over 50 pieces. I guess it makes easier on younger builders, but it seems like overkill to me.

I’ll say it up front: the minifigures are outstanding. From the faces, to torso (and leg!) printing, to Jack’s molded hair piece, they are awesome.

All of the minifigures have finely detailed faces and torsos. There are a lot of little touches here too. They could have easily just included two identical cannibals but they took the time to make them unique. Jack and the two cannibals also have printing on their legs. Jack’s hair is a soft molded plastic, not a hard hair piece.

Jack and Will have “frightened” faces on the backs of their heads. The cannibals do not have a second face.

The Build

As I was going through the build, I noticed two unusual pieces worth mentioning. First up was 2x4 plate with an image of bones printed on it. This forms the backrest of the cannibal chieftain’s throne. It was awesome to see this as a printed piece rather than a sticker.

Additionally, the set includes two large “hollow” elements that have some 3-D relief on them.

Other than these notable pieces, the build was over very quickly. Although the price/piece ratio is more reasonable than other sets <coughSTARWARScough>, there were many small pieces that inflated the count.

Here is a picture of the finished fire pit, along with a hungry cannibal waiting on his throne as Jack slowly cooks.

Will is trapped in a bone cage with a cannibal carefully guarding him. The cage itself was a novel use of simple structural elements to create the feeling of a ramshackle, open structure.

The rear of the structure has a box for storing swords and other items. Will is seen here grabbing a sword after escaping from the cage.

Pro’s

Superb minifigures
Novel, playable features
No stickers

Con’s

Price/piece is misleading due to inclusion of so many small pieces
Size of set disappoints for overall price

Final Thoughts

I enjoyed this set as my first foray into PotC and feel that the designers nailed the art and theme from the films (in LEGO fashion). This set didn’t cut any corners and the small details like printed pieces and differing cannibals go a long way towards making it a solid buy. My initial reaction to the price/piece ration was favorable, but when you look at what you get in the end, it can feel a little meager.

Still the set is fun to play with and can form the basis of cannibal island for broader pirate-themed adventures.

brickz
Knight
Knight

Re: [REVIEW] 4182 -- Cannibal Escape (PotC)

Post by brickz » Wed May 04, 2011 4:17 am

Nice review. This set should be $20 as its rather small.

lukeskywalker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lukeskywalker » Wed May 04, 2011 6:55 am

definitely a little overpriced, Overall I agree, This set has great play value.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Thu May 05, 2011 6:54 pm

This set just kills me. It's got all the minifigures I was looking forward to and a bunch of really nice pieces but the price is just a knife in the back by LEGO.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Fri May 06, 2011 4:53 am

legitimatealex wrote:This set just kills me. It's got all the minifigures I was looking forward to and a bunch of really nice pieces but the price is just a knife in the back by LEGO.
Its the Disney Tax. Similar to the Star Wars Tax on all the Star Wars sets. I'm still going to buy this set though, and all the other POTC.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Tue May 24, 2011 7:28 am

Great review!

We put together this set this weekend and my daughter really loves it. She likes turning Jack on the spit so his "butt doesn't get burned" :lol: She also likes putting one or sometimes cramming 2 figs in the bone cage.

I think the little parrot is great, I'd love to pick up more of those.

Although with our set (from TRU), the instructions and poster were not sealed w/ cardboard so our poster is a bit warped and creased :x I think it is strange that some are sealed and some are not for the same set. :?

Anyway I agree, the price is a bit high, but if you find it on sale it's worth it.

InfectiousZombie
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by InfectiousZombie » Fri May 27, 2011 12:44 pm

Got 2 at BOGO 50% off. Probably my favorite of the new pirate sets (largely because of this review, thanks!).