[REVIEW] Atlantis 7977 Seabed Strider

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate this set?

Excellent
45%
Average
55%
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 11

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

[REVIEW] Atlantis 7977 Seabed Strider

Post by BobaFett2 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:52 am

Indexed

The 7977 Seabed Strider is a 2011 Atlantis set, with replacing trans light/soft green with trans yellow. It costs US $10.00 and comes with 105 parts, including a Axel, an Atlantis Diver, and a Hammerhead Warrior.

The LEGO.com Description is as follows:
"Defeat the evil Hammerhead Guardian to claim the treasure!

Walking through the ruins of the lost city of Atlantis on his powerful Seabed Strider, valiant diver Axel Storm discovers the precious golden shield. He transforms his craft into a sleek submarine to return the treasure to the surface, but can he first defeat the trident-carrying Hammerhead Guardian? Includes 2 minifigures: Hammerhead Guardian and diver with swim fins, scuba helmet and tank 2 in 1 build: Seabed Strider transforms into sleek submarine! Sieze the treasure with the Seabed Strider's grabbers! Features sea snake, harpoon, trident, treasure and rare gold elements Spin the turbines! Grab treasure with Seabed Strider claws! Seabed Strider measures 3' (7cm) tall"

Set
7977 Set
7977 Pillar and Hammerhead
The set comes with a pillar, which, although small, provides a few new parts. It has two of the columnar 2x2 cylinders, with the grooves that could allow it to be used as a gear. It also has a new shield piece with a circle, triangle, and trident. On top of that, it is on a dark tan 2x4 plate and a sea-green 1x2 jumper brick-if I'm not mistaken, every part there is new!
7977 Vehicle
The vehicle is a bit less exciting. While there is some detail, and the *GASP* stickers provide more details (although, as always, they could print instead so that I don't have to deal with all the applying of stickers...
7977 Side
The legs are a bit awkward, sticking out in a way that they would in an archosaur, crocodile, or many dinosaurs (in addition to most modern reptiles). They may be for walking, but they can't really walk in an efficient way...
7977 Back
The back of the legs is a bit too plain, sadly.
IMG_2266
The vehicle has an "alternate mode", which in a way makes up for the lack of alternate models. It isn't perfect, and it's not exactly streamlined, but it's not bad.
Minifigures
Axel Storm is the "hero" in this set. He is an Atlantis diver. The new one has a light gray helmet with a trans yellow visor-new colored pieces! His suit is pretty awesome too. New Minifigures have been pretty great.
The Hammerhead is amazing. But at the same time, way too odd. The detailing and head are amazing. But at the same time, it's way too large. I can't really decide. However, the headpiece over which the Hammerhead piece goes is trans red-it has a mouth, and small eyes, so it could make an interesting alien or a sea-creature.
Build
I wasn't impressed by this build. Not much too it. Sadly. There's some SNOT, some good use of cheese slopes and curved slopes, but seriously, it's nothing special.
Parts
There's lots of new stuff to look forward to. As I said, the "pillar piece" is pretty much all new parts/new colors. They have a trans yellow visor and a light gray helmet-that's new. The flippers are yellow, and I assume that those aren't new, but semi-rare. The trans light orange crystal may be new. For some reason, there is some gold, and best of all, some silver harpoon guns. There are also cheese slopes-I need as many as I can get my hands on.
Overall
Pros
-New torso and legs, plus trans yellow visor and light gray armor
-Hammerhead is new
-Some accessories (shield, harpoons) in new colors, plus a few new parts
-$0.095 part value-slightly less than 10 cents per part
Cons
-Vehicle is a tad lame
-Transformation is lacking
-Hammerhead is ugly as well as good....
-Stickers, not printed
Overall
Build 3/5-Seriously, the only thing I find lacking in the 2011 sets is building
Parts 3.5/5-It's not bad for parts, but could have some more interesting ones or better usage
Minifigures 4.5/5-Score
Price 5/5-Great part value, great figs, some useful parts
Design 4/5-At least it has a transformation. They use parts well, but they could have done better.
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream
I post a lot of reviews in the reviews forum! Check them out!

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: [REVIEW] Atlantis 7977 Seabed Strider

Post by ncbarrett » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:08 am

I have this en route from LEGO, and look forward to it, even if the vehicle is not very impressive.
Really like the new diver equipment colors.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:55 am

BobaFett2 wrote:-$0.095 part value-slightly less than 10 cents per part
Round up to $0.10 per, since you cant pay less than a cent for anything.

And a minor gripe, but why don't you try formatting the end of your reviews like this.
BobaFett2 wrote:Build: I wasn't impressed by this build. Not much too it. Sadly. There's some SNOT, some good use of cheese slopes and curved slopes, but seriously, it's nothing special.

Parts: There's lots of new stuff to look forward to. As I said, the "pillar piece" is pretty much all new parts/new colors. They have a trans yellow visor and a light gray helmet-that's new. The flippers are yellow, and I assume that those aren't new, but semi-rare. The trans light orange crystal may be new. For some reason, there is some gold, and best of all, some silver harpoon guns. There are also cheese slopes-I need as many as I can get my hands on.

Overall
Pros

-Hammerhead is new

Cons
-Vehicle is a tad lame
-Stickers, not printed

Overall
Build:
3/5-Seriously, the only thing I find lacking in the 2011 sets is building
Parts: 3.5/5-It's not bad for parts, but could have some more interesting ones or better usage
Minifigures: 4.5/5-Score
Price: 5/5-Great part value, great figs, some useful parts
Design: 4/5-At least it has a transformation. They use parts well, but they could have done better.
It might make it look a little less congested. And why two overalls?

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:19 pm

Mantisking wrote:
BobaFett2 wrote:-$0.095 part value-slightly less than 10 cents per part
Round up to $0.10 per, since you cant pay less than a cent for anything.

And a minor gripe, but why don't you try formatting the end of your reviews like this.
BobaFett2 wrote:Build: I wasn't impressed by this build. Not much too it. Sadly. There's some SNOT, some good use of cheese slopes and curved slopes, but seriously, it's nothing special.

Parts: There's lots of new stuff to look forward to. As I said, the "pillar piece" is pretty much all new parts/new colors. They have a trans yellow visor and a light gray helmet-that's new. The flippers are yellow, and I assume that those aren't new, but semi-rare. The trans light orange crystal may be new. For some reason, there is some gold, and best of all, some silver harpoon guns. There are also cheese slopes-I need as many as I can get my hands on.

Overall
Pros

-Hammerhead is new

Cons
-Vehicle is a tad lame
-Stickers, not printed

Overall
Build:
3/5-Seriously, the only thing I find lacking in the 2011 sets is building
Parts: 3.5/5-It's not bad for parts, but could have some more interesting ones or better usage
Minifigures: 4.5/5-Score
Price: 5/5-Great part value, great figs, some useful parts
Design: 4/5-At least it has a transformation. They use parts well, but they could have done better.
It might make it look a little less congested. And why two overalls?
I'm not very good with BBCode, I strongly prefer html, but I'll do that. I think I did two overalls because they have two overall things-not really too important though. And I know that it rounds up, but I prefer slightly more exact numbers.
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:27 pm

I'm loving this set. I really like the hammerhead piece but I agree with you, it really is odd. Plus if you try and reuse the head in a vehicle it's probably going to be slammed up against a windshield. Good monster head though.

Also I'm a sucker for walkers/mechs. Can't wait for this set to show up at a restocked Toys R Us.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

hardtravelinghero
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by hardtravelinghero » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:56 am

I love the hammerhead so much (and that was so awesome even before I knew of the red translucent head with teeth, which needs its own picture in the review, and yes, would make an awesome alien--didn't a Space Police alien come with the Angler set?), I had to have two of these sets. Walkers are always fun too, even if this isn't the best design, for what a person gets for ten bucks (11 at TRU now) on what sets costs now, this is fun.

The new color scheme is welcomed and looks great. I never enjoyed the trans green pieces, except in M-Tron (1990), when they were first introduced. That's the only time I think they've worked well, and maybe...maybe on the UFOs series in 1997 or so, during my Dark Ages. And I don't care for the pastel greens either. Heck, I haven't liked most of the Atlantis "human" sets, but I have two walkers and that little $5 scooter that's new.

I love the pillars, but has anyone noticed they don't stick together as well as regular cylinders would? I can't wait for the huge new Atlantis set. It comes with crabs and a Crab-humanoid. Awe-some!

Other walkers of note:
Astro Grappler http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=6882-1
Strategic Pursuer http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=6848-3
Alienator http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=6876-1

autobrick
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by autobrick » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:35 pm

I picked this set up yesterday on sale for CAD 9.67 + taxes, which is a fair price, considering the number of pieces.

A couple of things I would like to add:
- The pearl gold trident in this set is made out of an improved material from before. Older tridents (ie. 8073) would wear down when putting it in/out of a minifig's hands. Happy that TLG improved this.
- The circle-triangle design on the shield is a print, not a sticker. I was expecting a sticker, like most other Atlantis designs.
- There is an extra pair of yellow flippers (at least, I had an extra)
- Walker design is rather poor, but it does have some useful parts.
- Hammerhead minifig is awesome! (Arguably worth the price of admission)

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:16 pm

autobrick wrote:I picked this set up yesterday on sale for CAD 9.67 + taxes, which is a fair price, considering the number of pieces.

A couple of things I would like to add:
- The pearl gold trident in this set is made out of an improved material from before. Older tridents (ie. 8073) would wear down when putting it in/out of a minifig's hands. Happy that TLG improved this.
- The circle-triangle design on the shield is a print, not a sticker. I was expecting a sticker, like most other Atlantis designs.
- There is an extra pair of yellow flippers (at least, I had an extra)
- Walker design is rather poor, but it does have some useful parts.
- Hammerhead minifig is awesome! (Arguably worth the price of admission)
I built some alternates from the walker, but because it's my brother's, I had to put them back. VERY nice for parts, it has a new piece which is a 1x2 black brick with a clip on top. Only that set, another Atlantis, and the new Police Station have it. There was an extra pair of flippers, which was nice. The shield wasn't a sticker-I think that due to the amount with which Minifigures are played with, they almost always print those. And I'm extremely glad about the tridents.
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:33 pm

BobaFett2 wrote:VERY nice for parts, it has a new piece which is a 1x2 black brick with a clip on top. Only that set, another Atlantis, and the new Police Station have it.
You mean this part? Very cool.

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:46 pm

Mantisking wrote:
BobaFett2 wrote:VERY nice for parts, it has a new piece which is a 1x2 black brick with a clip on top. Only that set, another Atlantis, and the new Police Station have it.
You mean this part? Very cool.
Yes
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream

Shijima
Knight
Knight

Post by Shijima » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:37 pm

I also picked this up at the TRU sale, all things mentioned are spot on.
- walker is pretty weak a lot of stickers on it aswell
- main reason for buying it is cheap access to hammerhead fig plus the "upgraded" trident

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:23 pm

What's different about the trident?
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:27 pm

legitimatealex wrote:What's different about the trident?
I just tested it-it's not the same plastic as the new knives, the bows, and the new giant teeth pieces.
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream

Shijima
Knight
Knight

Post by Shijima » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:25 pm

New trident is alot stiffer, doesnt feel like melting plastic.

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:36 am

I picked this set from local TRUs while they offered 25% off from MSRP. The Hammerhead Warrior is ugly but very cool. Isn't a sea monster supposed to be ugly, is it. This mini-figure is "a-must" for Atlantis fan. With 10 cents per piece, I can bare with it.