[TnB Review] 21115 The First Night

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate this set?

Excellent
40%
Average
20%
Poor
40%

Total votes: 5

Brickbuilder0937
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

[TnB Review] 21115 The First Night

Post by Brickbuilder0937 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:27 pm

Set#: 21115
Name: The First Night
Theme: Minecraft
Year: 2014
Pieces: 408
Minifigs: 1
Brick Seperator: No
Price: US $39.99/ CAN $49.99 / UK £39,99

The Box:

The front of the box; strangely the name of the set is not on the box anywhere.

The back, showing more features of the set.

The Pieces:

Inside the box there are three numbered bags, one instruction booklet and a 16 x 8 green plate.

Instead of taking pictures of all the pieces here's the part inventory in the back of the manual

These are the printed and molded pieces exclusive to the Minecraft sets. (except for the pig head and pickaxe) Thankfully there are no stickers.

Unfortunately the upper legs of the creeper body have one thinner wall and don't have any clutch power.

The three most basic survival tools, the pickaxe, sword and hatchet in wood form.

The Minifigures:

The Steve and creeper figures use the same kind of piece for the head. the head piece is 1 1/ 2 bricks square.

The pig uses a different head piece

The Build:

The first part of the house has a chest and a crafting bench.

The other half of the house has more furniture like a table , a bed a furnace and even a potted flower.

The walls of the house look like they're are built from stone, stone bricks, cobblestone and glass panes.

Other features include a frame with pickaxe, a torch and a wooden door.

The brown blocks that make up the edge of the roof represent wood stair blocks and the corner of the house is made from fence posts.

Grass, trees and a flower decorate the top of the roof. I like that they used trans green bricks for some of the leaf blocks

A basic wood fence with gate to keep the pig in.

The completed set.

From the back.

And of course the whole thing hinges open for easy access.

In the back of the manual there are instructions to rebuild part of the landscape and the furniture.

Extra pieces.

Conclusion:

DESIGN 9/10 - This set is well designed to resemble the minecraft world. (which is easy to do when the game is blocky to begin with)

BUILD 8/10 - A simple and straightforward build, but it does include some inspiration to rebuild some of the set.

MINIFIGURES 6/10 - With the new head piece Steve looks great, but it's the exact same figure that's in all the other Minecraft sets.

PLAYABILITY 7/10 - Three playable figures; one minifig, a creeper and a pig. Also the house opens up and the roof comes off for easier play.

PARTS 9/10 - Lots of basic brick in colors that are less common in basic brick boxes. New accessories and creeper body. (the only other set with a creeper is the $110 one) No stickers, only printed parts

PRICE 8/10 - 408 pieces for $40 is just below 10 cent a piece. Mostly basic parts but the specialty and printed parts make up for it.

OVERALL 7.83/10 - To the Minecraft fans this set is excellent, but to those that aren't this will just look like a blocky set with blocky figures.

Thanks for reading and don't forget to answer the poll.

StClair
Count
Count

Re: [TnB Review] 21115 The First Night

Post by StClair » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:31 pm

I'm not a huge Minecraft fan... gasp! Honestly I just don't have time for it with my busy adult life but if I were younger I think I would probably play for days building in creative mode.

I do like that LEGO is producing Minecraft sets because I think its a good business move. I think that the somewhat simple builds may be a great way to attract young builders. My son loves Minecraft and likes LEGO. I think that sets like this one may be great building sets for his level.

I won't be buying Minecraft sets for myself but I do find some of the new parts interesting (pig head and creeper body piece). I'm not sure how useful that they will be in MOCs but I like new possibilities.

Good review. Great pictures. Thanks for writing and sharing!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Re: [TnB Review] 21115 The First Night

Post by vynsane » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:43 am

I have to say, I'm incredibly intrigued by both the game and these sets. I like how blocky and old-school the designs of the sets are while the colors are more modern, even though I understand it's highly indicative of the design of the game. They look like sets that would've been designed in the early 80's if today's color palette had been available.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive