[REVIEW] 8077 Atlantis Exploration HQ

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

What rating would you give to this set?

Excellent
60%
Average
40%
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 10

DrBeaker
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

[REVIEW] 8077 Atlantis Exploration HQ

Post by DrBeaker » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:58 am

Indexed

Normally, my Lego budget is saved for the SW line but occasionally, I like to pick up a different theme. My son has been an avid fan of the Atlantis line and I grabbed the Atlantis Exploration HQ at Walmart last weekend.

The Details

Pieces = 473
MSRP = $49.99
Price per piece = 10.5 cents
Minifigures = 3

The Box

The front of the box shows the HQ in its “transformed” mode with the base features fully deployed. The lower right corner gives a fairly small picture of the HQ collapsed into its more mobile, sub mode.

The lower left hand corner shows which Atlantis key comes with this set. It is the yellow turtle key, which also appears in the Typhoon Turbo Sub (8060) and the Portal to Atlantis (8078) sets.

The rear of the box gives us a look at the interior of the base, as well as a much larger picture of the sub.

Inside the box, we find four numbered bags, two instruction books and one sticker sheet.

Other sets in the Atlantis line have had rather extensive sticker sheets, so I was relieved to find that this sticker sheet was relatively modest.

The Minifigures

This set comes with two divers and one manta warrior. The divers are Dr. Jeff Fisher (the one with the mustache) and Captain Ace Speedman. Each diver comes with a diving helmet and flippers while the manta warrior is composed of a molded rubber head that fits over a normal sized headpiece.

The divers have identical torsos and legs with detailed printing on both the front and the back.

As with the other sets in this line the divers also have two set of facial expressions: the gritty/adventurous ones seen in the previous image and the “oh **** :shock: ” faces, which come in handy whenever there is a diving accident or encounter with an undersea creature.

The Build

The build of this set was fun. There was very little repetition. The first part of the build involves setting up the frame structure. It went quickly and when done, we have an asymmetrical platform with three evenly spaced stands and one taller structure. The base of the platform has a nice little poseable crane.

Bags two through four contain pieces for the sub/HQ. The front of the submarine is hinged, with the rear having some hidden linking pieces. Here is a shot of the interior of the sub/base early in the build.

The left side has a kitchen and computer station. The right side has some additional computers and a nice little treasure map. After the base level was constructed, the sides of the submarine were built up. Finally, the top of the sub is hinged and contains a set of lights. In HQ/base mode, these fold up and out, presumably to light the inky darkness of the ocean. Here is the finished sub in HQ mode.

You can see there is plenty of room on both sides for access to the work areas. Here, Dr. Fisher consults the treasure map.

When in HQ mode, the entire sub sits on the frame structure constructed earlier in the build. It gives it some height and size that are very visually appealing.

When it is time to go searching for Atlantis, the base easily transforms back into sub mode. Simply fold down the top and collapse the side and the divers are ready to go.

Some people might find overall appearance of the sub-mode blocky, but I think it is captures the hybrid base/submarine functionality of this set.

Finally, here are the extras that are left over at the end.

PRO’s

Novel functionality that is robust and stand up well to play
The frame stand makes a nice addition to the base
Shape of the sub is refreshingly different from other sets in the Atlantis line
Reasonable price point

CON’s

The red colors of the Atlantis line can be a little glaring
A second “bad guy” would have been a nice addition
Still has stickers. A few more printed pieces would have gone a long way.

Overall

This is one of the more different sets in the Atlantis line and that alone helps it stand out. Add in the fact that most “base” sets are stationary, I really ended up liking the unique playability found here. The aesthetics of the Atlantis line still don’t click with me (too much red, I suppose) but the shape and lines of the HQ Explorer all work well together.

possum
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: [REVIEW] 8077 Atlantis Exploration HQ

Post by possum » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:14 pm

Thanks for the review of this set. When I came out of the dark about 6 months ago, my now-step-daughters and I were into the Atlantis theme pretty heavy. As I picked up sets from other themes (like Creator & SW), the Atlantis sets seemed to lose some of their excitement. Maybe it was all the red you mentioned, or maybe it was all those stickers. I picked up Gateway of the Squid & have held off on the second wave. I like the idea of the transforming sets though, and I give them the eye every trip to the Lego aisle. This one looks as though it may be cool enough to pick up before clearance hits though. Nice price/piece & unique functionality there.
Disclosure of location should be required when listing your finds!

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:50 pm

I agree with you on everything here except the use of red. It's nice to have continuity in colors across a theme. It makes it more uniform. I might be biased though. The red/gray they end up using as the color scheme in most of the sets is one of my favorites to work with.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

possum
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by possum » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:43 pm

Bought it today. Love it. Really fun build. I made the family eat dinner with it on the table. :lol:
Disclosure of location should be required when listing your finds!

TClone
Knight
Knight

Post by TClone » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:10 pm

Any way I could buy this and turn it into an Agents base?

DrBeaker
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by DrBeaker » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:14 am

TClone wrote:Any way I could buy this and turn it into an Agents base?
I'm terrible at MOC's but I think the sub portion could form the core of a nice base. It would be very cool to turn it into something like the SHEILD helicarrier from the Marvel universe.

GoN2Broadway
TnB Customizer Reporter
TnB Customizer Reporter

Post by GoN2Broadway » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:55 am

Thanks for the review - I have this set and love it. I use as a base for my Atlantis Special Forces (I'll post them on this forum soon :) It looks completed and I love it - I may do some modding in the interior to make it look more like a weapons platform, but that's for my own personal taste. I was really happy with this set, and have it in a convenient spot for me to play with regularly ;)
Family Bricks
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/49756387@N02/