[TnB] Preview Review Exo-Suit 21109 LEGO Ideas #007

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

What do YOU think?

Power reserves at 500%! (It's awesome!)
84%
Systems nominal (It's okay.)
9%
Alert! Malfunction! (It's not great.)
7%

Total votes: 43

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Re: [TnB Preview Review] "Exo-Suit" 21109 LEGO Ideas #007

Post by vynsane » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:50 am

dqfritzke wrote:I heard Aug. 1 is release date, is that confirmed?
Yes:
vynsane wrote:Kevin Wise, an employee of a LEGO Store who is active on Flickr, has confirmed $34.99 USD and August 1 launch date in the comments of this pic.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

kelvinlym
I'm New !

Post by kelvinlym » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:35 am

May I know what are the box measurements?

This looks like another must buy for me.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:16 am

I didn't measure the box, but Huw did (in cm). It's roughly 10" wide x 7.5" tall x 2" deep (the depth was my estimate, as Huw only measured width/height).

swogat
I'm New !

Post by swogat » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:06 am

Thank you for the review. I enjoyed the pics and the comments.

Looks like I will succumb to the hype and try to order two. I am tempted to replace the big ball joints by the micros and see if the model collapses.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:12 am

swogat wrote:Thank you for the review. I enjoyed the pics and the comments.
Not a problem, glad you found it of value!
I am tempted to replace the big ball joints by the micros and see if the model collapses.
I'd be interested in seeing how they hold up. The weight of the torso is significant, being comprised mostly of bricks and plates, so they might not be up to the task.

Another word on availability - a lot of people are significantly worried by the comments that this is currently a "single production run" and are under the impression that it means only 10,000 have been produced. Nowhere can it be found that a "single production run" of a Cuusoo/Ideas set is definitively 10,000 units.

I'm under the impression that TLG reserves the right to limit production to 10k if the business analysis deems it necessary, but they will produce however many units the business analysis suggests ABOVE that 10k threshold. But most people have somehow latched onto the idea that only 10k will be produced in the first run of any and all Ideas sets, and transformed this statement by Mark Stafford from the reddit thread:
This is currently a single production run - I'm not sure of the figures - but if you see it and you want it then buy it, at the moment when it's gone it's gone for good. Don't be disappointed.
into this:
This is currently a single production run - I'm not sure of the figures OF 10,000 - but if you see it and you want it then buy it, at the moment when it's gone it's gone for good. Don't be disappointed.
by way of applied misinformation.

The most important aspect to note is this: The Exo-Suit set WILL be available in stores, while Curiosity WAS NOT. It may very well be a single production run, but it could be a single production run of 50,000 or 100,000 for all we know (I really have no idea how many of each 'normal' set is produced, and this number could be way off). Analytical thinking, however, leads me to believe that the production run is much greater than that of Curiosity.

lordoflego
Knight
Knight

Post by lordoflego » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:33 pm

I agree, single production run could mean that it is any number of sets, but I think it still won't be enough.
VENI VIDI VICI

omalak
Citizen
Citizen

Post by omalak » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:15 am

Just an FYI,

This already what most people were thinking.

I spoke to an employee at the Lego Store in Toronto Canada. The Canadian pricing is confirmed to be 44.99CAD

In terms of in store limits to the exo-suit nothing was known by the employee, but i imagine there will be a limit.

Still going to grab two, MARS rover was hard enough to get on a limited run.

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:30 am

omalak wrote: I spoke to an employee at the Lego Store in Toronto Canada. The Canadian pricing is confirmed to be 44.99CAD
Ouch. Not happy to hear that bit of news.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:07 pm

hatcher wrote:
omalak wrote: I spoke to an employee at the Lego Store in Toronto Canada. The Canadian pricing is confirmed to be 44.99CAD
Ouch. Not happy to hear that bit of news.
Same here. I think I'm only going to purchase one of these now. If I like the model, maybe I'll get one more.

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:55 am

When the set was first announced I thought I would pass on it but I'm starting to like it more and more. It would be an interesting build I think. I didn't realize it has the "four Medium Stone Gray 2x2 inverted domes" until reading the review. I can't wait to get some of those pieces in various colors in the future. Until now I had only noticed them in (different color) 10243 Parisian Restaurant (I want that restaurant).

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:03 pm

While placing orders please be aware that
LEGO Shop at home (US) just added about 2 pages of items to sales and deals. If you are feeling brave you may want to check out sale items before placing order for exo-suit especially if you need to add items to basket for free shipping. I see several Friends sets, Chima, Hero Factory and (at least one ninjago) sets that were not discounted 20 mins ago.

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:05 am

And its "out of stock" its only been for sale for like 7 hours at this point.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:55 am

^ And not even that long, given that it didn't show up online exactly at midnight (eastern time) from what I gather. I think I'd suggest calling and/or visiting the Toronto store instead of relying on the website. Barrie looks to be about 55 mins out, barring traffic, right?
StClair wrote:I didn't realize it has the "four Medium Stone Gray 2x2 inverted domes" until reading the review. I can't wait to get some of those pieces in various colors in the future. Until now I had only noticed them in (different color) 10243 Parisian Restaurant (I want that restaurant).
Yes, this is the fourth color they've been produced in. It's previously only been available in White, Dark Red, and Bright Red. The Dark Red color is available in Parisian Restaurant, Simpsons House and "Fire vs. Ice" Chima Speedorz battlepack. White is available in a lot of Friends sets, Creator Bike Shop & Cafe, and Cinderella's Castle. In Bright Red, it's in "The Flying Flusher" from The LEGO Movie as well as a few Chima Speedorz.