[REVIEW] 7569 Desert Attack (Prince of Persia)

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

What rating would you give to this set?

Excellent
44%
Average
56%
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 9

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

[REVIEW] 7569 Desert Attack (Prince of Persia)

Post by hatcher » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:44 pm

Indexed

NAME: Desert Attack
SET #: 7569
LINE: Prince of Persia
# OF PIECES: 57
PRICE: $14.99 (CAN)

Sorry, I don't have any pictures of the build, but as you read the review, you'll see that pictures really aren't all the useful. Just go to Lego shop@home to see it. Here's a link.

http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.as ... n=632&d=70

Now, the set. I haven't seen this movie yet, so I have no idea if this set is supposed to represent a specific scene in the movie, or if it is just a battle pack. Regardless, the set has some good, and bad points to it.

First, the good. The set contains 3 minifigures (Prince Dastan, and 2 Hassansins), a horse (more on that later), a snake, a scorpion and some other pieces, and NO STICKERS.

Lets start with the minifigures. These are some of the best and most interesting figures I've seen in a while. Each of them has something new. Dastan has a neat little contraption that he wears on his back, that can hold 2 swords. One of the Hassansins has "Wolverine" claws, for lack of a better term, and he has SPIKED shoulder pads. Kinds of reminds me of something a professional wrestler would wear to the ring. But I digress. The other Hassansins has an eye patch over one of his eyes. The two bad guys have nice new head coverings, and Dastan's clothing is neatly detailed, both torso and legs. Plus, his arms are bare, so you get a lot of potential pieces for MOC's.

The horse. The horse is black with a blue saddle blanket painted on, as far as I know, this is a totally new horse design, and it looks great.

The rest of the pieces put together to make a desert scene with a trap door that you can swing back to reveal some jewels. Not exactly sure of the purpose of this, but you do get some nice tan coloured pieces, and the brownish bush is apparently brand new for this set.

Now, the bad. Lets talk price. I know the golden ratio of ten cents per piece is dead, but come on, $15 for 57 pieces is ridiculous (I know its Canadian money, so its probably a better ratio for you lucky Americans, but come on.) I know the horse, the minifigs and some of the other pieces are new, AND its a licensed them to boot, but the price is just terrible. The only reason I got it was because TRU had a 25% off sale.

As for playability, I'm an AFOL, so I don't "play" with sets, but I really don't see a lot of playability in this for kids. Oh look, a bush with some jewels under it. Oh no, the Hassansins again. Yawn. But maybe that's just me.

I hear the move didn't do very well, so I expect that the Prince of Persia sets will probably start to rot on the shelves at their current prices. Watch for clearances down the road, and when the price drops, pick up some of this one for the minifig parts.

In summary, this set would get about a 6/10 from me. The nice new parts and minifigures can't just over come the limited play value and the very high price.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Re: [REVIEW] 7569 Desert Attack (Prince of Persia)

Post by legitimatealex » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:59 pm

Skeleton doesn't count as a minifigure?
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Re: [REVIEW] 7569 Desert Attack (Prince of Persia)

Post by hatcher » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:06 am

Oops, sorry, forget the skeleton. I guess since I have like 40 of them already it slipped my mind.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?