[TnB Review] 70803 Cloud Cuckoo Palace

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate this set?

Excellent
75%
Average
13%
Poor
13%

Total votes: 8

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

[TnB Review] 70803 Cloud Cuckoo Palace

Post by Ice » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:36 pm

Name: Cloud Cuckoo Palace
Number: 70803
Theme: THE LEGO® MOVIE™
Release Date: December 29, 2013
Piece Count: 197
Minifig Count: 3
Age Rating: 7-14
Cost: US $19.99 - CA $24.99 - DE 19,99 € - UK 17.99 £ - DK 179,95 DKK
Cost per piece: US $0.101 - CA $0.127 - DE 0.101 € - UK 0.0913 £ - DK 0.913 DKK

Continuing with our fourth review, we have 70803 Cloud Cuckoo Palace.

Product Description
Protect Emmet and Wyldstyle in the colorful Cloud Cuckoo Palace!

Revel with Unikitty in Cloud Cuckoo Land, the happiest, most positive and creative place in the universe! Join Emmet, Wyldstyle and all the master builders in this multi-colored playful paradise where the sun is always shining and a cute snail glides between the bright flowers. But beware! Unbeknown to Emmet, there’s a tracking device on his leg and Lord Business’ Executron has trailed him to the palace and is ready to handcuff him. Shoot flowers from the flower catapult to fend him off and help Emmet and Wyldstyle make a getaway! Includes 3 minifigures and accessories: Emmet, Wyldstyle and Executron, and 2 figures: Unikitty and a snail.

•Includes 3 minifigures and accessories: Emmet, Wyldstyle and Executron, and 2 figures: Unikitty and a snail
•Features Cloud Cuckoo Palace with bright-yellow sun, fresh flowers and multi-colored twirling discs
•Accessories include handcuffs and a red stud tracking device
•Get creative with Unikitty and her Master Builder friends
•Shoot flowers from the flower catapult to fend off Executron
•Watch The LEGO® Movie to see all your favorite characters in action
•Cloud Cuckoo Palace measures over 6” (16cm) high, 6” (16cm) wide and 2” (6cm) deep
•Flower catapult measures over 1” (3cm) high, 2” (6cm) long and less than 1” (2cm) wide

The front of the box:

The back of the box:

Box Contents:

No stickers, all printed pieces!

Instructions:
First page of the instructions tells you what to do with the pieces and how to sort them.

Back few pages shows advertisements for other LEGO Movie sets. There's also a teaser page for LEGO DC Super Heroes.

More LEGO Movie ads showing the sets in action.

Minifigures:
You receive 3 minifigures in this set. There's Emmet, Wyldstyle and Executron (the bad guy in the suit).

Special Figures:
You also get 2 figures. They are "Unikitty" and a snail. Both figures are buildable and the head for Unikitty is moveable. Definitely a plus to have printed pieces. The last General Grievous' Starfighter (8095) had a medical droid with stickers which is a thumbs down. I understand the cost and can tolerate a bit for stickers elsewhere, but minifigures and figures are no.

Flower Catapult
This was one part of the build. You get 2 flowers and a catapult.

The Palace
Very interesting colors I must say. It looks like a fantasy land in a very cartoony environment. I really wonder what the story will be like in The LEGO Movie.

Side

Back

Leftover Pieces
In most LEGO sets, you tend to get extra pieces for smaller pieces. This set has a lot so you do have quite a bit of extras.

Complete Model
I tried to make it look like the action shown on the box. The set doesn't really have much functions aside from the flower catapult and maybe the swirling discs as advertised on the box.

Ratings:
Design: 8/10 – I have no idea what this set is all about. But it sure gives me the Candy land fantasy feeling. Its not a bad design overall, but because there's a size limit for this set, its not really a "palace".

Build: 7/10 – Not too much challenge here. I would say its an average build like most sets. There's a few technic pieces for the discs (i.e the sun), but nothing too difficult.

Minifigures: 7/10 – Emmet is on different from the other sets so he's pretty common. Executron and Wyldstyle are nice and quite detailed with the printings. The Unikitty and snail being buildable is also a great addition.

Playability: 9/10 – If your an adult, I don't see much playability. But for kids, I can imagine them playing it with Executron chasing Emmet and Wyldstyle in and around the palace.

Parts: 8/10 – Decent assortment of colorful pieces. No stickers definitely a plus.

Price: 8/10 – The set is small, but for a low $19.99 USD / $24.99 CAD price, you really can't expect too much.

Overall rating: 8.5/10

Its an alright intro set. The figures are not bad and the colors are interesting. What are your views?