[TnB Review] LEGO Ideas 21110 Research Institute

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate this set?

It reached for the stars! (Excellent)
35%
It is average.
45%
It is like a bad science project. (Poor)
20%

Total votes: 20

atmail35
Duke
Duke

[TnB Review] LEGO Ideas 21110 Research Institute

Post by atmail35 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:56 am

Name: Research Institute
Number: 21110
Theme: LEGO Ideas
Release Date: August 2014
Piece Count: 165
Minifig Count: 3
Age Rating: 10+
Cost: US $19.99 - CA $24.99 - DE 19,99 € - UK 15.99 £
Cost per piece: US $0.121 - CA $0.151 - DE 0.121 € - UK 0.097 £

From LEGO.com:
Explore the world and beyond at the Research Institute!
The Research Institute has everything that you need to explore the world below, around and above us! Created by real-life geoscientist, Ellen Kooijman (alias:Alatariel), and selected by LEGO® Ideas members (formerly known as CUUSOO), this collection of scenes depicts three varied professions within the world of natural science. Help the paleontologist study the origin of dinosaurs with the magnifying glass, map the skies with the astronomer and her telescope, and assist the chemist as she carries out experiments in her lab. This set also includes building instructions, as well as a booklet containing information about the creator and an introduction to each of the professions featured in the set. There’s a whole world of exciting professions out there to explore – build and role play them to see if they suit you! Includes 3 minifigures: paleontologist, astronomer and a chemist.
• Includes paleontologist, astronomer and chemist minifigures
• Features paleontology, astronomy, and chemistry scenes on a 6x6 baseplate
• Paleontology scene features a dinosaur skeleton, microscope and a magnifying glass
• Astronomy scene features a telescope and a sky chart
• Chemistry scene features a cabinet, tools, bottles and flasks
• Discover new stars and planets through the telescope
• Study the dinosaur skeleton up close
• Concoct new formulas in the chemist’s lab
• Gives a great insight into the world of natural science
• Build the model voted for by LEGO® Ideas members
• Includes building instructions and booklet with information about the creator and professions featured in the set
• Each scene measures over 1” (5cm) high, 1” (4cm) wide and 1” (4cm) deep
The Research Institute set is # 008 in the LEGO Ideas (formerly CUUSSO) line.

The front of the box:
The glossy box shows three female minifigures in their work environment.

The back of the box:
The back features artwork showing each scientist with their corresponding equipment.

Minifigure view:

Contents:
The LEGO Ideas Boxes are nicer than the standard sets and are great for holding your booklet and pieces after you have built it.

You have 3 bags of elements and one instruction booklet. A brick separator is included.

I like the quality of the LEGO Ideas instruction booklets and they give you a little biography about the creator.

Also there is a blurb about each scientist and their field of work.

The instructions do feature the "pick list":

You receive 3 minifigures in this set. (left to right) Chemist, Paleontologist, and Astronomer.

The figures do have alternate expressions and some minor printing on the back of their tops.

The Build:
My 9-year-old built the set. She really loves the dinosaur skeleton. Each vignette was easy for her to build on her own. There are no stickers in this set. There are 165 pieces, but many are small so you get a lot of ‘spare parts’.

Bag #1 - Chemist

Here is the work station of the chemist. You do receive syringes, mugs (in the cabinet) and bottles and beakers:

Here you can see the extra parts.

Bag #2 - Paleontologist

I love the dinosaur skelton model. You also have a microscope to inspect some bones.Image

Spare parts:

Bag #3 - Astronomer

The astronomer has a blackboard (printed) and a high-powered telescope.

Spare parts:

Here is a view with all the ladies and their equipment:

Ratings
Design: 10/10 – The overall design is very nice and they include some nice features for each scientist. The dinosaur is fabulous!
Build: 8/10 – The dinosaur is the most complicated to build, but overall it is a fairly simple build.
Minifigures: 8/10 – It is nice that each scientist has different colored hair. The shirt for the chemist is nice with the ID tag. The astronomer looks a bit like a flight attendant from the 1980s with the scarf around her neck.
Playability: 10/10 – There is a lot of playability with the 3 vignettes. My child loved playing with it and played “museum” for a bit with the dinosaur.
Parts: 9/10 – I like how a brick separator was included. The printed piece for the blackboard is nice. There are many small parts. You do end up with 24 spare parts.
Price: 8/10 – We are at about 12 cents apiece for the US price of $19.99, which is not a great ratio, especially since many elements are very small. However, if you add in the spare parts, the per piece ratio drops to $10.6 cents.
Overall rating: 9/10 I really like this set and hopes it encourages girls to play with LEGO and who knows, it may encourage a few to pursue science!

Currently the set is sold out at Ship @ Home. You may be able to find it at your local LEGO Brand Store.

SSchmidt
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Re: [TnB Review] LEGO Ideas 21110 Research Institute

Post by SSchmidt » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:18 am

Great review here. My favorite thing about these Ideas sets, are the awesome booklet they include in them. Really nice book.

This is a nice little set, but I am not too crazy about the price per piece ratio (especially considering most of these are your run of the mill pieces) nor do I like the limited availability of the set. It's sad, but it looks like this one might even fetch a higher aftermarket price than the Exo-Suit (which I am only lucky to have because I won a copy of it and Lex Luthor Power Armor set here at TnB).

I really hope the rumors of LEGO making another run of the Research Institute are true, because I would love to order a copy to go with the Exo-Suit, so I can sit the two side by side on my shelf. I have a soft spot for rarer sets and pieces, but not by paying an arm and a leg, which I certainly do not intend to do just to have it sitting on my shelf.

peanut
Knight
Knight

Post by peanut » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:12 pm

Wow that printed blackboard is sweeet!

stevebuscemi
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by stevebuscemi » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:17 pm

Only 1 out of 6 people really liked this set according to the poll, yet the reviewer was all 8-10/10? $20 for a 165p set, 20 of which are small 1x1 plates.

Hobbit 79003 is 7-8 out of 10. This set is a solid 4.

moo spyker
I'm New !

Post by moo spyker » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:40 pm

I'm going to pretend this set doesn't exist considering no one can actually get a hold of one.

dulait
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dulait » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:19 am

stevebuscemi wrote:Only 1 out of 6 people really liked this set according to the poll, yet the reviewer was all 8-10/10? $20 for a 165p set, 20 of which are small 1x1 plates.

Hobbit 79003 is 7-8 out of 10. This set is a solid 4.
Totally agree, here is what I add to it, over hyped = 10, resellers excitment level = 10, excitment level when resellers find out they will mass produce a second run = 1! I find the upcomming DC superhero sets more appealing than this.

dho7622u
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dho7622u » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:11 pm

One thing that separates the IDEAS sets vs. Creator/ etc. is the book. I think most collectors would easily drop $1 for the book. In a sense that does drop the "per part". I think the set is a great for both kids and adults, especially as a family build, creating conversation and exploration.

david

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:59 pm

While I understand that several members feel I was too generous with the ratings there are few factors that I kept in mind when reviewing this set is that 1) the brick separator has a MSRP of $2.49 so that brings the overall per piece price down 2)The box and instructions are higher quality which equates to a higher price of the set in general. 3) People are willing to pay $2.99 to $3.99 for CMF or $9.99 for build a mini pack of 3. With three minifigs in the set, I personally did not mind terribly that the set is priced at $19.99.

Although I did not specifically state these in the review, I do feel that the above helps to justify the $19.99 price.