[MOD] Dragon Knight Castle - My First MOD

Every week, a LEGO(My Own Creation) posted here will be featured on our front page. Got a cool creation? Share it! This is also the place to share your building tips and ideas as well as LEGO IDEAS.
legohunter
Count
Count

[MOD] Dragon Knight Castle - My First MOD

Post by legohunter » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:06 am

It is surprised to see Kingdom set discontinued while it still has potential to grow. Even trolls/orces had their own Mountain Fortress(7097), why are dragon knights homeless? I was always hoping that TLC would offer us a Dragon Knight Castle at the end; however, I believed this may never happen. Instead of keeping complain and yelling, I decided building one as a tribute to this theme set.

The construction of this castle was based on 2 sets of 7947 Prison Tower Rescue, 2 sets of 7187 Escape from the Dragon Prison, and a set of 7955 Wizard, which adding up as 90% of total pieces. The remaining 10% was mainly 1X1 and 1X2 bricks from my small spare parts bin and pick-a-brick at Bellevue Lego store. Trying to only use the pieces from previously mentioned box sets with my entry-level creativity, I have spent most of my Christmas/New Year break time and lots of brain energy to complete, in which it was the best I could do. Being said that, it was so much fun to work on this little project and getting excited to move on after finishing each components.

At last, on behalf of my bank account, thanks for the members’ posts which helped to reduce cost for doing this. It was nice to collect these sets without paying full MSRP.

Thanks for viewing my creation. You could find more close-up pics if you click in below link.

Dragon Knight Castle by LegoCabinet, on Flickr
Last edited by legohunter on Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:22 am, edited 4 times in total.

dho7622u
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: [MOC] Dragon Knight Castle - My First MOC

Post by dho7622u » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:02 am

Well done! Nice use of texture and colour.

david

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:42 am

very nice.
I too was surprised they didn't offer a dragon knight castle.
However I hope it means when Castle/kingdom comes back after LotR we will get a Black Falcon castle!!!!
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:23 pm

ncbarrett wrote:However I hope it means when Castle/kingdom comes back after LotR we will get a Black Falcon castle!!!!
I would assume TLG had not expected the success in acquiring LotR license before Black Falcon rolling out to the production line of Kingdoms Joust.

koromo
Knight
Knight

Post by koromo » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:18 pm

Very nice, TLG needs to make more bricks in Dark green :)
Lego Fan based in Seacoast Area of New Hampshire.

brickcollectors
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by brickcollectors » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:38 am

This is a great looking castle! Nice work!

melsig
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by melsig » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:51 am

I love this! I actually picked up extra sets each of Prison Tower Rescue and Escape from Dragon Prison for my son (set aside for his birthday), so we could try to build a larger Dragon castle. This is inspiring - thank you.

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:42 am

The colors work very well. Nice playable looking build.

fraslund
I'm New !

Post by fraslund » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:40 pm

Great work! I would buy this set.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fraslund/6 ... hotostream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:57 pm

fraslund wrote:Great work! I would buy this set.
If it gets puts on cuusoo maybe we all could. :mrgreen: ;-)
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

mooslug
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by mooslug » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:30 pm

That looks fantastic. I really like the rocky areas on the front corner turrets. Very imposing.

I too bought extra Dragon Knight sets in order to build a bigger fortress for them - I expect I will take some cues from yours :)

fraslund
I'm New !

Post by fraslund » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:50 pm

mooslug wrote:That looks fantastic. I really like the rocky areas on the front corner turrets. Very imposing.

I too bought extra Dragon Knight sets in order to build a bigger fortress for them - I expect I will take some cues from yours :)
You should check out the fortress in my sig. It has a very similar feel and I am glad he did this because I waned to also do a Dragon Knight castle and what he did was very well done and very playable. I think his is much more reasonable for an actual set lol.

I myself have many more Dragon Knight MOCs planned and this just inspires me all the more.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fraslund/6 ... hotostream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:06 pm

fraslund wrote:
mooslug wrote:That looks fantastic. I really like the rocky areas on the front corner turrets. Very imposing.

You should check out the fortress in my sig. It has a very similar feel and I am glad he did this because I waned to also do a Dragon Knight castle and what he did was very well done and very playable. I think his is much more reasonable for an actual set lol.

I myself have many more Dragon Knight MOCs planned and this just inspires me all the more.
Not really, fraslund. Yours was an awesome build, with much more features in detail and way better layout. The best was that everywhere was accessible by stairs.
http://www.toysnbricks.com/forums/viewt ... =29&t=3964" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by legohunter on Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:26 pm

Sure, I hope every castle fans would have one castle or fortress for their Dragon Knight army. ;-)

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:02 am

Nice job, it really looks like it could be a production set - it has the "standard LEGO Castle" layout. It also really looks like it would fit right in with the other sets of that faction, it has all the design cues used in the actual sets.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

mooslug
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by mooslug » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:55 pm

fraslund wrote: You should check out the fortress in my sig. It has a very similar feel and I am glad he did this because I waned to also do a Dragon Knight castle and what he did was very well done and very playable. I think his is much more reasonable for an actual set lol.
Fraslund, I did see yours when it was posted last year- the size and detail blew my mind! Really impressive stuff :D

BlacktronManic
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Re: [MOD] Dragon Knight Castle - My First MOD

Post by BlacktronManic » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:33 pm

Awesome job on making this castle. Love the level of detail and the watch tower.

Any chance you made a part list and manual on building this for other Castle lovers to help recreate this?

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:27 am

BlacktronManic wrote:Awesome job on making this castle. Love the level of detail and the watch tower.

Any chance you made a part list and manual on building this for other Castle lovers to help recreate this?
I have never made a part list and manual before. Do you know where I could find the tutorial?

I could partially break it down and take more photos if you are interested.

BlacktronManic
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by BlacktronManic » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:38 pm

legohunter wrote:
BlacktronManic wrote:Awesome job on making this castle. Love the level of detail and the watch tower.

I have never made a part list and manual before. Do you know where I could find the tutorial?

I could partially break it down and take more photos if you are interested.
I still have not personally made my own manual yet although I have been wanting to for some time.

The programs out there to do something like this are: LEGO digital designer, LDRAW or LIC (alpha build currently for Windows and OSX).

While I was not asking for myself it would not be bad to know how to rebuild your castle. My daughter has been after me to build her a castle for her LEGO friends, queen minifig and other LEGO characters she has. I built her a real rustic cattle but she knows I can do better. Since I have always been a space themed guy I am being asked to build something I normally have never built. So if you make the manual pass it along. My daughter would definitely enjoy it and both of us in the experience of building it.

stevebuscemi
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by stevebuscemi » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:20 am

Very nice man. Should post it to Cuusoo