[LDD and Bricks] Modular Starfighter

Every week, a LEGO(My Own Creation) posted here will be featured on our front page. Got a cool creation? Share it! This is also the place to share your building tips and ideas as well as LEGO IDEAS.
vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

[LDD and Bricks] Modular Starfighter

Post by vynsane » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:13 pm

In designing this starfighter, I wanted to devise a way to easily reuse portions, such as the cockpit, so I wouldn't have to worry about that part of it in future builds. Thinking back to Blacktron, and how the pieces of the various vehicles could be swapped out inspired me to design modules that could be reused. I first designed a 'cockpit tub' that would have as many technic bricks as possible to act as "hard-points" for other modules to snap into, and quickly designed a 'canopy' module to accompany it. The nose came next, then I worked on the engine module for quite some time in order to perfect it. Finally, I created the 'undercarriage' which includes working landing gear.

Modular Starfighter, head-on by vynsane, on Flickr

Modular Starfighter, landing cycle by vynsane, on Flickr

Modular Starfighter top-down by vynsane, on Flickr

Modular Starfighter module breakdown by vynsane, on Flickr
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: [LDD] Modular Starfighter

Post by ncbarrett » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:16 am

Nice, and inspiring.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:17 am

Wow. That is insane!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:01 am

Thanks for the comments! I neglected to give a shout-out to JonHall18 for inspiration on the wings - his "Sky-Fi" stuff is just AWESOME and I want to do some work in that realm as well.

fraslund
I'm New !

Post by fraslund » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:25 am

Wow this is so good its inspired me to break out and finish my LDD capital ship I have spent dozens of hours on. I have been neck deep in Castle MOCS but this is a such a great design its brought back the sci-fi itch.... Excellent!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fraslund/6 ... hotostream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:59 pm

Thanks for the kind words, fraslund. Glad I could inspire you to move back to sci-fi.

zmom
Peasant
Peasant

Post by zmom » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:59 am

Great job - enjoyed viewing it.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:27 pm

I revisited this concept recently as I found it hard to design different modules for the previous incarnation. I've also come up with a backstory of sorts and name for this newer-generation modular starfighter:

A security patrol flight of two Tanuki Corp. modular starfighters in the "Kitusne" light interceptor configuration skims the atmosphere of the planet Xirlon.

Modular Starfighter security patrol - front by vynsane, on Flickr

Modular Starfighter patrol - rear by vynsane, on Flickr

Modular Starfighter Revisited - modules by vynsane, on Flickr

LDD files:

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:09 am

I also developed an alternate cockpit module, this time housing a Flight Control Droid instead of a conventional cockpit for a human. The back-story on this was very fun to write:

Kitsune/Mujina Droid-Controlled Fighter variant by vynsane, on Flickr

Deep Space patrol by vynsane, on Flickr

The Tanuki Corp. modular starfighter system is easily adaptable to varying needs. By replacing the cockpit module with a droid control system, this otherwise standard Kitsune configuration becomes a very capable drone fighter.

It's not uncommon for strike wings of up to 6 Kitsune/Mujina Droid-controlled fighter (K/M-DCF) variants accompanying a single human-piloted standard configuration Kitsune fighter to be very effective in attack and defense missions. The AI necessary for such effectiveness is likened to that of a trained police dog, obeying the masters commands and actions with a series of pre-programmed algorithmic responses and analytical reactions to unforeseen situations.

Results of completely un-manned K/M-DCF flight wings have, however, ranged from disappointing to disastrous, depending on the amount of free will the AI is given. One account of a test flight of a group of K/M-DCFs with the standard "police dog" AI ended in a brawl over who would be the pack leader, inciting multiple attempts to "assert dominance" that caused multiple hull breaches and the loss of one Droid Control Module before safety measures could be enacted.

I'm having a lot of fun coming up with names for these things. The modular nature of the concept makes it hard to pin down actual names, but the idea that certain configurations are popular enough to be 'standard' helped address that. Since the modules can cause the fighters to take on different shapes, I've been playing with shapeshifters of Japanese folklore - "Kitsune" being the Fox, "Mujina" being a type of spirit that can often take the shape of a faceless human (which gave birth to the idea of the droid control module in place of the cockpit). The corporation that builds these is Tanuki, yet another shapeshifter.

LDD files
Droid Control Module

Brickbuilder0937
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by Brickbuilder0937 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:49 pm

These starfighters look really good and fun to build, they inspire me to try making some myself.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:12 am

Thanks, man, they are very fun to 'build' (virtually, up to this point - hopefully I'll get the chance to build some for real soon and really find out how fun they are - they definitely look swooshable!). I have a lot of plans, like some peterlmorris-style rocket booster modules that would take the place of the current wings/engines, and I'm definitely going to have a Vic Viper module pack sometime in Nnovvember. I'm also designing a 'heavy weapons' module that fits in-between the wings and fuselage on either side (or only one side, even).

If you have LDD installed, feel free to check out the various files I've linked to - the best way to work with them, I've found, is to use a different solid color for each module (the 'Exploded View' file is the one I used to output the various color-coded modules in the first post of the new design, and the 'Droid Control Module' is all-yellow), so you can easily select them using the 'color selection tool', then, once you're finished getting everything in place, select the entire build and paint it one 'base color'. After that, I set about adding detail colors and printed pieces if applicable.

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:51 am

I like the new starfighter design, especially the DCM variation.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:29 am

Thanks, Mantisking. Its proving to be a very versatile platform:

Tengu class Heavy Interceptor by vynsane, on Flickr

A convoy of GHL transport frigates charters a course across the galaxy secure in the knowledge they are guarded by a top-gun squad of Tanuki Corp. Tengu Heavy Interceptor pilots.

While attacks are rare, space pirates can pack impressive weaponry that will endanger even the most armored ships. To meet the firepower requirements of high-profile clients that have to move valuable materials across the galaxy (such as GHL, as is the case here), Tanuki Corp. engineered the Tengu configuration Heavy Interceptor.

Featuring dual pulse cannons affixed between the fuselage and each engine/wing module, the Tengu can deal out an impressive amount of damage to slower vessels. Generally, a compliment of Kitsune Light Interceptors will accompany a wing of Tengu Heavy Interceptors to pick off any attackers that can evade the more powerful, but slower-moving, starfighter.

LEGO Digital Designer Files

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:57 pm

I really like how this one turned out:

Infamous Aliss Oyuki and her starfighter the Denublian Sunset by vynsane, on Flickr

Security camera footage from an asteroid outpost captures an image of the infamous mercenary Aliss Oyuki piloting her highly customized modular starfighter "Denublian Sunset".

The highly customizable nature of the Tanuki Corp. modular starfighter system makes it not only a favorite of large scale corporate defense contractors but can also fit the needs of some of the galaxy's seedier denizens.

In this instance, we see Aliss Oyuki's personal starfighter, boasting a unique dual fuselage/single plasma cannon configuration, with its distinctive custom orange and dark red paint job (hence the name "Denublian Sunset" after that moon's distinctive red and orange hues at dusk.)

Speculation and rumor hint at a highly customized firmware update leading to nearly self-aware yet incredibly reliable AI housed in the Droid Control Module affixed to the starboard fuselage. Oyuki has also reportedly increased the handshake protocol effectiveness to the point that her two accompanying K/M-DCF variants (sporting matching custom paint jobs inverse to that of her fighter) have exhibited autonomous decision making far superior to anything Tanuki Corp. has developed thus far.

Tanuki Corp. refuses to confirm or deny rumors at futile attempts to contact Oyuki or her software developer, and won't even entertain questions about how their technology finds its way into less than reputable hands.

LEGO Digital Designer files

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:42 pm

PLM-T1 "Bakemono" class interceptor by vynsane, on Flickr

PLM-T1 "Bakemono" ceremonial fly-by by vynsane, on Flickr

Tanuki Corp. in conjunction with Starfighter Engineering unveils the PLM-T1 "Bakemono" class interceptor, flanked by a Starfighter Engineering "ZR-42D Archangel Plus Alt 1" and Tanuki Corp. "Kitsune" class Light Interceptor in parade formation among the moons of Flanula.

When posed with a large contract for a client with high performance demands and nearly non-existent development timeframe, Tanuki Corp. subcontracted the design of a new high-performance integrated engine/weapons module to Starfighter Engineering.

The PLM module was developed and integrated with the standard "Kitsune" class fuselage in the PLM-T1 "Bakemono" configuration Interceptor. The "Bakemono" fits right between the "Kitsune" and "Tengu" with a higher performance envelope than the Light Interceptor, but packs nearly the same offensive punch as the Heavy Interceptor.

- Much thanks to peterlmorris for the inspiration and instructions!

LEGO Digital Designer files:

Leo-J
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Leo-J » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:57 pm

Wow! I'm particularly excited with the first ship! The design is exceptional! :up:

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:55 am

Oh! The Bakemono is oh so very pretty.

You're on a roll with these. Keep up the good work!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:04 am

Thanks! It was a bit of a challenge to design a module for my system based on someone else's design, but one that I intentionally took on in order to see just how versatile the new modular system is after I built peterlmorris's "Archangel" in LDD.

I actually already started working on modifying the new PLM module into two distinct pieces - a PLM/W weapon module (the front half) and PLM/E engine module (the back half), so they can be used in different configurations, and because the connections were a bit questionable as to stability. As it stands, I'm still only connecting the PLM/W module via one technic pin, which relies on the windscreen to keep the forward prongs from drooping. I'd really like to be able to use both technic pin holes available but it's a really tight fit. I would have to push the entire assembly forward one stud to fit another connector in there, which might be worth it.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:56 am

In working with this concept more and more, I've made certain revisions to pre-existing modules in order to make them more useful. The original cockpit module underwent a revision to bring the rear side technic bricks in line with the front ones (there was a one-plate offset initially). Similarly, the two 1x2 technic bricks w/2 holes on the Plasma Cannon (heavy weapons) module have been lined up (they, too, had a one-plate offset.)
Additionally, I've created three folders on my servers where these files have been uploaded. One folder holds all the individual modules that I've developed thus far, one holds the configurations that I've developed using those modules with each module color-coded for easy selection/manipulation, and one folder that contains all designations, those configurations that have been named and 'painted'.

PLM-T1 "Bakemono" Rev. A by vynsane, on Flickr

This revision of the "Bakemono" class interceptor uses separate weapon and engine modules.

LDD Files
"Kitsune/Hiyakudori" class light interceptor by vynsane, on Flickr

An Alien Defense Unit "Kitsune/Hiyakudori" class light interceptor patrols the airspace of planet Earth for any signs of otherworldly trouble.

To increase the effectiveness of any weapon or sensor modules installed, the addition of a secondary cockpit module can facilitate seating a Combat Systems Officer who would then be responsible for monitoring the systems secondary to piloting the craft.

The fly-by-wire nature of the modular starfighter system allows for transference of duties from one control module to the other, so if something were to happen to the pilot, the Combat Systems Officer could take over control of the craft to land safely in a "limp home feature" capacity.

LDD Files
While JudahMoTron revealed his 'Trainer' version:

Modular Fighter - Trainer Variant by JudahMoTron, on Flickr

I was also working on a tandem-cockpit variant of the "Kitsune" class light interceptor configuration. Originally I intended to make the additional cockpit module fit between the original cockpit and rear fuselage modules, but for the sake of a smooth appearance ended up incorporating the additional cockpit into a lengthened version of the rear fuselage.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:53 pm

For NnoVVember, Tanuki Corp. has unveiled the newest set of modular subsystems, known collectively as the 'Mamushi' class.

"Mamushi" class modular starfighter: The VV shot by vynsane, on Flickr

"Mamushi" class modular starfighter by vynsane, on Flickr

"Mamushi" class modular starfighter rear by vynsane, on Flickr

Mamushi modules exploded by vynsane, on Flickr

Promotional images of the "Mamushi" class modular starfighter from the 7012 solar cycle Tanuki Corp. Fall Catalog.

To meet the varying defense needs throughout the multitudinous galaxies colonized by humanity, Tanuki Corp. has developed many configurations of its highly popular modular starfighter system.

The newest configuration in this line-up is the "Mamushi" class, a design that leverages the modular nature of the platform to facilitate lightning-quick weaponry changes, jocularly referred to as "power ups" by pilots.

LDD Files