LEGO The Hobbit Lonely Mountain Set 79018

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
teal93mr2
Peasant
Peasant

Re: LEGO The Hobbit Lonely Mountain Set 79018

Post by teal93mr2 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:14 pm

Even at HALF PRICE, this set would still be a stretch for me....and I try to get all of the Hobbit sets. No exclusive minifigs either, just re-hash of old dwarves.

stevebuscemi
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by stevebuscemi » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:20 pm

What's with the ugly interior fronts? They keep doing this with LOTR/Hobbit sets. Either you get an odd interior or you get a wall. 9473 is the same way.

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:30 pm

stevebuscemi wrote:What's with the ugly interior fronts? They keep doing this with LOTR/Hobbit sets. Either you get an odd interior or you get a wall. 9473 is the same way.
I really did like 9473 Mines of Moria though. Maybe because it was one of my favorite scenes in the first movie. I hadn't really thought about how most are either walls or interior pieces of scenes until you pointed it out though. Good observation. Maybe the walls are too recreate scenes at a lower price? It would cost lots more to create whole fortresses. If by walls you mean sets like Mirkwood elf army. In the case of Mirkwood elf army and Uruk-hai army 9471 they were basically army builders with small walls that could be expanded by purchasing more. I actually like that they did this because it is a cost efficient way for fans to purchase either a few or lot of troops and at the same time expand their parts collection with parts that can be used to build castles/fortresses or create larger walls.

Take 79014 Dol Guldur Battle (set with Radagast) for example. To create the entire scene it would have cost as much as 10237 Tower of Orthanc if not more to really do it accurately. I think that 79014 does a good job of creating a scene that is similar to the scene while keeping the price low enough for most fans to be able to purchase it.

I hope that what I've said doesn't seem confrontational. I hadn't really set back and considered the LOTR and Hobbit sets as whole that have been released thus far until you shared your observation. There have been very few sets that include entire (or at least small scaled down versions) of structures from the books/movies. I would consider An Unexpected Gathering, Attack on Weathertop, and The Battle of Helmsdeep to be sets that did a good job of creating the structure as a scaled down version and not just a wall. Although now that I think about Helmsdeep was primarily just a wall with entrance and small room to represent the keep. Still I'm glad that this one was released at the price and size that it was. It was my first LEGO purchase of that price and anyone can expand upon it to make a larger version of the Fortress.

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:01 am

The dragon is sweet. I think we all knew going in that this set would have a poor ppp ratio because of such a large dragon mold (and just because everyone wants Smaug they can bump the price a bit).

Like others mentioned the wall type interior design isn't great but I do like the throne. I have written lengthy reviews of why MoM is not my favorite set multiple times and the back drop does seem similar as someone else mentioned..though at least it is connected and not a bunch of mini builds like Moria is. I do like the gold colored pieces we get.

The minifigs shown are not the same as those listed in the description at comic con so I'm expecting those to be changed. I'm not understanding the green axe and red mace. Maybe those are weapons that the dwarves equip themselves with in part 3...though maybe, like a couple of the figures, they are just fillers.

stevebuscemi
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by stevebuscemi » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:44 pm

StClair wrote:
stevebuscemi wrote:What's with the ugly interior fronts? They keep doing this with LOTR/Hobbit sets. Either you get an odd interior or you get a wall. 9473 is the same way.
I really did like 9473 Mines of Moria though. Maybe because it was one of my favorite scenes in the first movie. I hadn't really thought about how most are either walls or interior pieces of scenes until you pointed it out though. Good observation. Maybe the walls are too recreate scenes at a lower price? It would cost lots more to create whole fortresses. If by walls you mean sets like Mirkwood elf army. In the case of Mirkwood elf army and Uruk-hai army 9471 they were basically army builders with small walls that could be expanded by purchasing more. I actually like that they did this because it is a cost efficient way for fans to purchase either a few or lot of troops and at the same time expand their parts collection with parts that can be used to build castles/fortresses or create larger walls.

Take 79014 Dol Guldur Battle (set with Radagast) for example. To create the entire scene it would have cost as much as 10237 Tower of Orthanc if not more to really do it accurately. I think that 79014 does a good job of creating a scene that is similar to the scene while keeping the price low enough for most fans to be able to purchase it.

I hope that what I've said doesn't seem confrontational. I hadn't really set back and considered the LOTR and Hobbit sets as whole that have been released thus far until you shared your observation. There have been very few sets that include entire (or at least small scaled down versions) of structures from the books/movies. I would consider An Unexpected Gathering, Attack on Weathertop, and The Battle of Helmsdeep to be sets that did a good job of creating the structure as a scaled down version and not just a wall. Although now that I think about Helmsdeep was primarily just a wall with entrance and small room to represent the keep. Still I'm glad that this one was released at the price and size that it was. It was my first LEGO purchase of that price and anyone can expand upon it to make a larger version of the Fortress.
Yea I agree with you that 9473 was much better with the interior wall concept. I was more referring to 79007 and 79014 (9471, 79002 being army packs, agreed). You are right on. But it's sets like the 79003 that are the best sets. Lake town as well does a better job, but is quite small. I just think LTG is trying to build sets by bloated small piece count and you can't build structures if you are trying to rip-off your customers by tricking them by piece count, lol. Structures can't be faked with little wedges and 1x1 plates. I'm still a huge fan of Hobbit/LOTR for the fig's alone, but it just seems like every set is just a fig pack for the most part (79003, 10237, excluded as well as Helms and a few others).

It's like the actual block part of the set is just an afterthought in most cases.

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:20 pm

stevebuscemi...

Agreed. There are sooo many wedges in LOTR and Hobbit sets. I was so disappointed that the Weathertop was such a small version although I do think it was very well built and a great mini version of it. I envisioned a full size build of it when it was announced.

BTW love your username.

Taveren
I'm New !

Post by Taveren » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:27 pm

Every time I see this set I think "Yay Smaug!" and then I see the rest of the set. For some reason I am rarely ever impressed by sets that seem like bits and pieces of a location were thrown in as an excuse to validate a new minifigure, or even Smaug as the case may be. At least with sets like Orthanc, Helm's Deep, etc you feel like there is something substantial for what you're paying. Even 79003 feels more substantial, and it's almost half the price for only a couple hundred pieces less.

Legoman83
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Re: The Hobbit Lonely Mountain 79018

Post by Legoman83 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:58 pm

hatcher wrote:$130? What, are the gold pieces made of real gold? I know, its the Dragon, have to pay for the new molds and all, but still, wow, that's expensive. That would make it $150 or more in Canada.
I agree, $150,00 is to much. It looks pretty sweet but ill have to wait till it's on sale and I don't mean 20% off lol.

mattlee1965
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by mattlee1965 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:39 pm

I have to agree that the set is poorly designed after taking a second look. I like the throne seat on the right side and the bucket carrying gold is a nice touch. But I absolutely hate the little door at the top and the lego ladders replacing the staircases in the movie. The gold base, I think is terrible. I am guessing it is supposed to be for the gold statue. Slight problem though. No statue :lol:, maybe they left it to lower the price :lol: Why does the right side reside on what would be a marble staircase and the left side is sitting ontop of dirt. The two building sections are completely independent of each other and do not blend together at all.

Last major issue. WHY ARE THERE NO CLASSIC LEGO COINS?

stevebuscemi
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by stevebuscemi » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:08 pm

One big problem with Hobbit/LOTR is price point. I'm sure most LOTR people are old enough to afford pricer sets. But TLG has all these sets designed to meet a kid's price-point when most of the fans are adults I'm guessing. Hobbit might be a bit more skewed to younger people, but still I feel like bigger sets would be better, even at a higher price. 79003 being a prime example of a great set.

LEGO does vehicles and creatures well, but, in general, it does buildings rather poorly other than the creator/modular line. Strange considering it's a building toy. But this has been a trend with LEGO ever since they dramatically decreased the number of regular bricks like a 1x2, 2x3 for much smaller pieces.

Oh well, I doubt we'll get any more $150-250 LOTR/Hobbit sets. Time to move on I guess.

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:24 pm

I'm surprised there isn't a thread about it yet, but I guess they are just box pictures with minifigs of the new Hobbit sets.

To tell the truth they are pretty disappointing. I do like the galadriel and witch king figures but the builds are pretty mediocre. There isn't much to them. I was hoping for a Beorn in bear form in the battle of 5 armies set.

I'll still pick them up anyway.

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:57 pm

lego the hutt wrote:I'm surprised there isn't a thread about it yet, but I guess they are just box pictures with minifigs of the new Hobbit sets.

To tell the truth they are pretty disappointing. I do like the galadriel and witch king figures but the builds are pretty mediocre. There isn't much to them. I was hoping for a Beorn in bear form in the battle of 5 armies set.

I'll still pick them up anyway.
Has anyone seen pictures of the new sets (yet to be released) or pictures of the minifigures?
From what I've read we should expect:
79015 Battle of the Five Armies set ($14.99 with Galadriel, Witch-King and Elrond?) 101 pieces
79016 There and Back Again Set (Bain minifig and connect to Laketown?) 313 pieces and $30?
79017 There and Back Again Set (minifigs?) 471 pieces and $60?

Anyone have more info about these? Able to confirm this info?

stevebuscemi
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by stevebuscemi » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:07 pm

lego the hutt wrote: I'll still pick them up anyway.
And this is pretty much where most of us LoTR/Hobbit fans fall. Even bad sets, I still want the collection.

It's sad that this line really doesn't hit kids very well. They are all in Star Wars, Ninjago, etc, but none of them have ever seen or allowed to see LoTR or even the Hobbit movies since they are all PG-13. None of my nephews have seen them under the age of 12 and even some older kids have yet to see them.

I think these sets reflect the lack of sales and knowing that some people are just going to buy them no matter what the price. Some of the sets were really great, but mostly they should've just released minifigure lines, battle packs since 75-90% of the "cool" factor comes from the new minifig molds/designs.

Marcus70
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Marcus70 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:21 pm

Noted the Lonely mountain set on s@h, available on Oct 15th.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/The-Lonely-Mountain-79018

eisenmatt
Citizen
Citizen

Post by eisenmatt » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:03 pm

I wish theyd done a smaller set like the Castle Dragon Mountain for Smaug and then a separate Erebor set. This isnt gonna be the last wave of LotR/Hobbit though, is it?

vorpalblade
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by vorpalblade » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:48 pm

I'm just tempted to call http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Dragon-Mountain-70403 Smaug and be done.

If they had made some effort in the design of the remainder of the set instead of throwing a couple minifig's and a slightly different dragon in a box I might be more tempted.

Edit: I see that eisenmatt beat me to the thought.

2nd edit: Target and Walmart seem to have 70403 - Dragon Mountain on sale for 38.99 and 37.15 respectively, with Target's being basically the same when factoring in the REDcard discount.