Offical LEGO Star Wars Press Release: 75059 Sandcrawler

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Offical LEGO Star Wars Press Release: 75059 Sandcrawler

Post by Ice » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:00 pm

Details on front page.
http://toysnbricks.com/offical-lego-sta ... ndcrawler/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: Offical LEGO Star Wars Press Release: 75059 Sandcrawler

Post by lego the hutt » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:58 pm

My first reaction isn't as positive as I hoped but I will wait and see it in person.

It seems like it will have a ton of small parts to make a model that is 9"x18"x6" with 3300 pieces. Though on the bright side I was worried it was going to be to huge and out of scale when I originally heard the price point. It seems to be a pretty good scale. 300$ is a good price per piece but if, like it seems, there are a ton of 1x2 and other small parts it kinda of skews that. When I see it in person I'll be able to judge the size better.

The treads look great and seems to be the stand out part of this model. I guess it is a bonus that it turns so you can steer it...I don't see most of the people who buy this type of set driving it around much.

The inside didn't look very clean from a building technique point of view.. The inside of the ramp, the inside of the cockpit, multiple layers of plates and a lot of technic pieces seemed to take up much of the space. It's strange how the floor of the cockpit doesn't connect to the wall. Do we ever see the cockpit in the movie? Seems like a poor design.

That tube that sucks up R2 is pretty disappointing. There is no tube, this is a $300 UCS set and we are supposed to pretend that it is attached to a hose?

I like the figures. Nice to get a variety of droids and 4 Jawas. I wonder what the bonus droid you can make with the extra parts will look like.

I'm going to Bricks Cascade tomorrow so I will get a closer look.

stevebuscemi
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by stevebuscemi » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:40 am

What is with LEGO bloating piece count so they can charge more?

It looks pretty close in size to the old one at 1700 pieces. So basically, they use tons of annoying little pieces and plates that fall apart vs. the sturdy one 10144. Lego fails again.

It looks nice, but lego just refuses to use standard bricks anymore. If I want a technic build I'll buy a technic set!

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:15 pm

I'll post some pictures tomorrow night or Monday after I get home but some of my Sandcrawler questions were answered.

The suction tube deal does hook onto a crane and can be raised and lowered. It just hooks onto a connection at the end of the string and not a tube but you don't have to pretend that it attaches like in the designer video. The video didn't do a very good job of explaining the set. There is a claw that can also be hooked to the same crane. There is a place inside in the back where you can store the other attachment while it is not in use.

The extra robot figure made out of spare parts that wasn't shown in the video is cute. Nothing super but it's a nice addition.

The gonk droid has nice printing. The 2 different printing types on the 4 jawas is nice (2 of each) good back printing.

There are quite a few stickers on the outside. The back panel has a nice design that looks like mechanical parts. It looks good.

There are 2 cranes. As far as displaying it I would show the one that comes out the back ramp. The second one you have to take off the roof to have access to it. I would display it with the ramp open, but not with the roof off.

Still a few design issues, it's not perfect but I feel much better about it after seeing it in person.

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:58 pm

I know these aren't new images at this point, but here are a few pictures I took of the sand crawler at Bricks Cascade this past weekend. I just took them with my phone so the quality is pretty mediocre.
018.JPG
This picture shows the little droid you can make from the extra droid parts. His parts are made to be stored in barrels/boxes inside when he is not assembled. He reminds me of the robot from short circuit. You can also see the new printing on C3PO and a few other figures.
013.JPG
This shows the rear of the sandcrawler. It has some nice detail that looks like mechanical parts. You can also see the treads which imho, are one of the best parts of this model.
019.JPG
Here is a bonus picture of the girl that was dressed up like wild style. I asked her to pose for the photo.
091.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stevebuscemi
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by stevebuscemi » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:41 pm

Thanks for posting! It really looks flimsy to me. Too many plates imo.

YuhaoLu
Peasant
Peasant

Post by YuhaoLu » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:25 am

I want a wyldstyle hoodie too!

DagsBricks
Peasant
Peasant

Post by DagsBricks » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:30 am

I really really hate to snipe threads but in the interest of photo journalism I've got about a dozen "being jostled with a point and click camera " quality photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/dagsbricks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

No worries about all the plates, it's sturdy.

Brian