Lego Star Wars Magnet Figures

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
ThunderFighter
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Lego Star Wars Magnet Figures

Post by ThunderFighter » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:51 pm

Tons and tons of star wars magnets are poping up for all the "rare" Lego star wars figures. Swamp speeder's only exclusive figure Barriss is now in a magnet making it not too special anymore. The death star when it first came out had tons of rare figures. But now, most of them are worth only a few dollars with them from magnets and the luke's landspeeder. I have a good feeling the new figures like cad bane will be a magnet later. Maybe not right when the set gets release, but a few months later.

I am sometimes somewhat frustrated of the magnets. I brought the swamp speeder just for Barriss and now its in a magnet makes me feel rip off. What are your views on the magnets Lego is making? Is it making you frustrated like me or is it a good thing?

yankeeken
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Re: Lego Star Wars Magnet Figures

Post by yankeeken » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:14 pm

I love them. Even if you buy them for just one figure, they're a lot cheaper than buying sets for just one figure. Personally, I don't feel ripped off, because I never buy any set, other than battlepacks, solely on its minifig selection.

Edit: This kind of goes with the discussion we were having in the 2010 LEGO Star Wars Accessories thread back in early June.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:20 pm

yankeeken wrote:I love them. Even if you buy them for just one figure, they're a lot cheaper than buying sets for just one figure. Personally, I don't feel ripped off, because I never buy any set, other than battlepacks, solely on its minifig selection.

Exactly this. You do not buy a set exclusively for minifigures because they almost always come out as magnets. I'll probably get all these magnet sets when they hit the 'on sale' status. Then I'll be smiley face :D
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

DarthPaka
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by DarthPaka » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:46 pm

Hooray for magnet sets !!!!! :mrgreen:

starwarsgeek
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by starwarsgeek » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:01 am

I guess the next batch of minifigures will be this.

Aayla Secura, Cad Bane, and another clone wars figure (maybe shahan alama or senate commando captain).

This will make clone turbo tank and cad bane's speeder "free" of any exclusive figures. Good for those that don't plan on getting the set, bad for those who has the set. Watch these figures go to 5 bucks each.

kevin93
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by kevin93 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:06 am

starwarsgeek wrote:I guess the next batch of minifigures will be this.

Aayla Secura, Cad Bane, and another clone wars figure (maybe shahan alama or senate commando captain).

This will make clone turbo tank and cad bane's speeder "free" of any exclusive figures. Good for those that don't plan on getting the set, bad for those who has the set. Watch these figures go to 5 bucks each.
That would be sweet. I don't want to fork out $120 for the overpriced CTT when all the rare figures will be in magnets.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:35 am

Perhaps the reason they do release them as magnets, so people will stop buying sets for minifigs.
They will buy them for the actual ship.
Might be a better gauge for future sets.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

kevin93
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by kevin93 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:22 pm

ncbarrett wrote:Perhaps the reason they do release them as magnets, so people will stop buying sets for minifigs.
They will buy them for the actual ship.
Might be a better gauge for future sets.
I guess the ships will be worth more now.

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:58 am

Can you take the figure out of the magnet base?

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:43 am

yes, the figure comes off, it is just attached like a regular brick.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

Uno Brick
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Uno Brick » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:11 pm

starwarsgeek wrote:I guess the next batch of minifigures will be this.

I don't think Cad Bane and Aayla Secura are possible, beacuse the magnet brick only allows a one plate clearance from the back. Cad Banes hat, and possibly Secura's headpiece, are too large, even if you add a 1x2 plate like thy did for the spaceman magnet (its white airtanks were too far back)

IMO, the magnet sets are good if you just want the minifigures, but I think I'd rather pay some more for the parts, some other figs, and a better plastic version of them in a set.
Check out MOCs by Uno Brick at: http://www.mocpages.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.flickr.com/photos/65992150@N02/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :-)

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:45 am

So now that they're glued, is it possible to just scrape them off the magnets?

JAYMATIK
Peasant
Peasant

Post by JAYMATIK » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:48 pm

legitimatealex wrote:So now that they're glued, is it possible to just scrape them off the magnets?
The glue is pretty strong. I've made an attempt with PQ and I ended up damaging the minifigs. I'm sure someone out there will find a way to remove the glued magnets safely without damage.

yankeeken
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by yankeeken » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:29 am

QQ

Why would TLG ruin such a great thing by gluing them(aside from more profit)?

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:11 am

yankeeken wrote:Why would TLG ruin such a great thing by gluing them(aside from more profit)?
It's got to do with TLC not having a license to make action figures, which is essentially what minifigs are. If the minifig isn't glued to the magnet it can be used as an action figure and TLC doesn't have license to do that. Hence the glue. :(

yankeeken
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by yankeeken » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:40 pm

I was under the impression that the way they were selling them before was fine due to the magnet part. Good old Hasbro ruining everything.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:06 pm

Mantisking wrote:
yankeeken wrote:Why would TLG ruin such a great thing by gluing them(aside from more profit)?
It's got to do with TLC not having a license to make action figures, which is essentially what minifigs are. If the minifig isn't glued to the magnet it can be used as an action figure and TLC doesn't have license to do that. Hence the glue. :(
That was actually the reason they had to do magnets instead of just selling the minifigures, which they used to do. It's a shame they're closing their loophole.

Selby-Tiger
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Selby-Tiger » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:04 pm

I was happy to find my 1/2 price magnet set of C3PO. Leia and Ackbar were not glued in any way. Hooray for magnet packs!

cowbug
Knight
Knight

Post by cowbug » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:28 pm

Selby-Tiger wrote:I was happy to find my 1/2 price magnet set of C3PO. Leia and Ackbar were not glued in any way. Hooray for magnet packs!
Yeah, all the old sets, the ones that came out prior to 2011, should not be glued, its only the 2011 sets that started being glued though keep in mind some did come out at the end of 2010 but were officially considered 2011 sets. I think the last SW set not to be glued was the Anakin, Ashoka, Senate Commando set. Of course you should double check with LEGO before buying.

gvardaman
I'm New !

Post by gvardaman » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:47 pm

Yeah, that's right. That last Anakin magnet set is the last not glued.

I am doubting the action figure angle though since they also (at the same time) started gluing the Ninjago, Harry Potter and another set at the same time.
They used to have the magnets in the legs, then someone swallowed a leg or a magnet and they were unsafe and magnets went away for a while. Then, they started putting them atop the little 2x4 bricks.
Now the glue. I would think it was more because they magnets sets were taking away sales of full kits, since they were the same minifigs? Maybe they didn't realize the extent to which people were buying whole sets to get one figure?

The glue is very good though (or very bad, from a perspective of someone wanting to remove it!)
It seems nearly impossible to remove a figure cleanly. LIke model kit glues and styrene where it slightly melts the plastic and truly bonds it together.

UNless someone discovered a good solvent solution for removing them without damaging them, I think the only way to respond is with our wallets and not buying the glued magnets!