LEGO Legends of Chima 2013

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
Neo
Knight
Knight

Re: LEGO Legends of Chima 2013

Post by Neo » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:55 am

I just purchased a Lego Legends of Chima Equila(Lego#70101) because I was interested in examining the flywheel ripcord mechanism of the *speedor*. Chima *speedor* is used as part of the target-racing play function of the Legends of Chima series. The Chima *speedor* flywheel-ripcord mechanism is not compatiable with the Lego Technic gearing. The Chima *speedor* flywheel assembly (Lego 2-18 11140) is one integrated piece composed of two pieces: 1) a plastic frame and 2) a weighted metal wheel/rim with a fixed rubber tire. The flywheel assembly weights 21 grams - if I had to guess I'd estimate the plastic frame is about 3 grams and the weighted metal wheel/rim/tire assembly is about 18 grams.

The plastic frame has a 2x2 classic stud (arranged to secure a minifig) and three stud cylinder/technic pins holes (two stud cylinder/pin holes are used to secure the decorative/minifig identify cowling/cover the third stud cylinder/pin hole is in the center of the 2x2 classic stud). Currently Legend of Chima *speedor* flywheel design does not include a second wheeled axle for stablization - instead the *speedor* mechanism relys on balancing everything on one wheel (unicycle design) to get the maximum speed at the lowest possible rolling resistance (each wheel-tire assembly in contact with the ground introduces additional rolling resistance). The entire frame is about 2 inches (5.09 cm) long and 1.21 inches (2.90 cm) wide at its widest point along the flywheel axle frame.

The weighted metal wheel/rim does not easily pop out of plastic frame and feels permanently afixed. The wheel-tire diameter is about 1.12 inches (2.65 cm). Given the circumference of a circle is approximately 3.14159 x the diameter, one revolution = 3.14159 * 1.12 inches = 3.519 inche. The 9 tooth gear on each side of the wheel is a molded part of the wheel rim. The metal wheel/rim feel and looks like some kind of aluminum-nickel alloy. The diameter of the 9 tooth gear is about .2 inches. The Chima *speedor* 9 tooth gear is incompatible with the standard 8 tooth Technic gear.

The entire length of the ripcord is about 7-3/16 inche long. The ripcord is made out of one molded piece of flexible plastic with the diameter of the ripcord about .125 inches. The ribbed/teeth section of the the ripcord is about 5.75 inches long. The ripcord has 92 teeth - which equates to 10 revolutions per *rip* of the flywheel. My guess is that it takes about 1/2 to 1 second to do one *rip* and that the initial speed of the flywheel is about 600 RPM to 1200 RPM ( 10 to 20 revolutions per second x 60 second). There is some friction along the axle and the flywheel slows down quickly but the initial flywheel speed (with near zero rolling resistance/friction along its axle ) should be between 176 to 352 feet per minute (= [3.519 inches* 600 RPM to 1200 RPM]/12 inches/foot = 2 to 4 mph, however , once the flywheel has to move its entire weight its speed should drops) . The ripcord has three stud cylinder/Technic pin holes on its handle.

=========================

for the Washington DC Metro Area as of Jan 14th 2012
the pricing for the above Lego Legend of Chima Equila (Lego#70101)

The Lego store/MSRP is set at $14.99 (0% markup)
Toys R US price is set at $18.99 ( 27% markup)
Last edited by Neo on Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:11 am, edited 10 times in total.

jsnweitzel
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: LEGO Legends of Chima 2013

Post by jsnweitzel » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:21 am

FYI - i just posted an article about 3 new Chima video type games coming out 2013 in the Media section. One for vita/3DS, one for ios and another online.