2012 LEGO Monster Fighters (Summer)

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
Buttmunch
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: 2012 LEGO Monster Fighters (Summer)

Post by Buttmunch » Thu May 17, 2012 11:16 am

My TRU finally got these in today (save for the Frankenstein, Zombie, and Ghost polybag of course) so I bit the bullet and bought them all. But I did have a sweet coupon. 20% off any toy purchase over $75. Plus I had a $10 off of $50 coupon as well that actually worked with the other coupon! So I got:

Vampyre Castle $84.10
Ghost Train $64.98
Vampyre Hearse $30.57
Werwolf $19.11
Mummy $11.47
Swamp Creature $6.12

And then another $14.82 in tax :mad:

So some of the lower priced sets (Werewolf for example) didn't end up quite as good of deal as the Train or Castle, but I still got ever set for under retail. Its too bad TRU overpriced them to begin with, but the coupon more than made up for it. But I think it was a decent deal all things considered! :-D

bigdaddy
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by bigdaddy » Thu May 17, 2012 2:06 pm

Found the swamp creature by me but thats the only one I can find. Really looking forward to when these are out around me

Selby-Tiger
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Selby-Tiger » Fri May 18, 2012 9:33 am

I didn't expect to be more excited about these sets than the LOTR or Marvel sets coming out, but I am definitely saving my money for Monster Fighters! It seems so much more than Minifigures goes into these Lego originals.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Fri May 18, 2012 11:49 am

I was surprised by how into these sets my daughter is - she's 5 and was oooohing and aaaaahing over all the high-res images. I think it's going to be a fight between the two of us over who is actually going to 'own' these sets, which is the first time that's ever happened. For it to happen on the theme that straddles the line of 'acceptable' like no other before it just boggles my mind! Even the zombie set, she was like "oh, I really like that one!" when she saw the pic of the two pop-open graves! :???:

I shouldn't really be too surprised, however - she's a huge Tim Burton fan already.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

silvashado
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by silvashado » Fri May 18, 2012 2:04 pm

Zombie Bride is sooo cool! Loving the ghost and clock. Definitely gonna have to buy multiples of these sets, all of the Monster Fighter sets.

I'm so much more excited about this theme than any others, even LotR. I hope this isn't a one-shot theme, though I expect it will be.

Buttmunch
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Buttmunch » Fri May 18, 2012 7:21 pm

Selby-Tiger wrote:I didn't expect to be more excited about these sets than the LOTR or Marvel sets coming out, but I am definitely saving my money for Monster Fighters! It seems so much more than Minifigures goes into these Lego originals.
Yeah, I was excited for LotR, but having put a few of these sets together so far, I'm loving this line a lot more. Its just so fun. Cute and spooky at the same time. I really hope there will be a few more waves offered because this is currently my favorite line right now.

Anyone know what is up with the Frankenstein set? I didn't think it was an exclusive, but it didn't ship with the rest. Nothing on Bricklink. Even the Zombie set is on there, albeit in Europe. Speaking of, have we figured out just who that's exclusive to yet? I'm assuming Lego.com will have it either way like Target's Orc Forge.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Fri May 18, 2012 8:36 pm

I'm loving the Zombies set. $20 or $30 you guys think?
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

Buttmunch
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Buttmunch » Fri May 18, 2012 8:42 pm

I'm guessing more like $40 like the Orc Forge. Definately not $20. $35 like the hearse, maybe.

ninjagoyo
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by ninjagoyo » Fri May 18, 2012 9:33 pm

silvashado wrote: I'm so much more excited about this theme than any others, even LotR. I hope this isn't a one-shot theme, though I expect it will be.
Where would they go with it? There is only a limited stock of iconic, public domain classic movie monsters, and they hit them all in the first wave. The heroes are nifty and amusing but they don't have any intrinsic long-term appeal.

I think one-shot, one-wave is virtually a certainty.

What I would love to see as a follow-on is an Atomic Monsters line... mine the sort of 50s pulp/kaiju tradition. It could have a kind of Alien Conquest-meets-Monster Fighters appeal... in fact maybe they could have the AC in more retro 50-ish saucers and a 50s-style ADF, a kind of "prequel". Plus the obvious insect men, giant carnivorous slimes, 100-foot firebreathing lizard, hyperintelligent rogue primates, plague of atomic scorpions... the usual.

Buttmunch
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Buttmunch » Fri May 18, 2012 11:38 pm

I think they've over looked a Witch in the line most notably. They did a mini figure series version so it would almost see them they held off on doing one in this line on purpose. So perhaps she could be the 'new Lord Vampyre' of the second wave. Make her the head bad guy with a new scary plan. You can always throw in some more zombie sets, delve into cryptozoology or folk lore with things like Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster. They don't have to stick with classic movie monsters, although I love that they have so far for the most part. I loved the old movie studio monster sets they made so I've been waiting for a follow up to those ever since.

At the very least a modular-ish Haunted House seems to be in the works, so I'm hopeful the line isn't totally dead. Plus the Frankenstein set seems to have been mysteriously held back as well. I guess we'll at least have a mini wave 2 once Frankie and the Zombie sets hit.

byobu
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by byobu » Sun May 20, 2012 10:53 pm

Lego.com is now selling Monster Fighters set at MSRP.

still have to pay shipping and tax ... but at least if you spend over $50 you still get the limited ed. Hulk Minifigure ....

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Mon May 21, 2012 5:13 am

silvashado wrote: .... I hope this isn't a one-shot theme, though I expect it will be.
There is no reason to expect this line to have more than one wave.
Generally LEGO release a one wave line in summer, (i.e Alien Conquest)
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

Buttmunch
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Buttmunch » Mon May 21, 2012 6:46 am

byobu wrote:Lego.com is now selling Monster Fighters set at MSRP.

still have to pay shipping and tax ... but at least if you spend over $50 you still get the limited ed. Hulk Minifigure ....
Thanks for the heads up!

Nobody seems to have the Frankenstein set yet for whatever reason so I pulled the trigger through them. It drives me nuts that companies offer promos at a certain price and won't give you the benefit of a penny. I mean seriously. We all know a $49.99 set is really just $50. So because of a single penny I don't get a Hulk? Well, I'm not going to get that close and not get him so I threw in a series 7 minifigure. Maybe I'll get lucky and get one I've wanted.

Now if they'll just release that zombie set soon, I'll be all caught up. But I don't mind waiting a bit for it. I can't ever control myself and spread building the sets out so I've done a lot of building lately between this line at LotR :lol:

BrickGarurumon
Knight
Knight

Post by BrickGarurumon » Mon May 21, 2012 1:05 pm

Thumbs up if you want to buy ALL of the Monster Fighters sets.

Selby-Tiger
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Selby-Tiger » Mon May 21, 2012 3:20 pm

BrickGarurumon wrote:Thumbs up if you want to buy ALL of the Monster Fighters sets.
For sure! I would buy them in triplicate, if only a Grand dropped from the sky. As it is I'm going to have to spread it out, use rewards and gift cards. I'm leaving LOTR off the menu completely for now - Monster Fighters is where it's at.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Tue May 22, 2012 12:26 pm

legitimatealex wrote:I'm loving the Zombies set. $20 or $30 you guys think?
Buttmunch wrote:I'm guessing more like $40 like the Orc Forge. Definately not $20. $35 like the hearse, maybe.
I dunno... If the piece count over at Brickset is accurate, at 447 pieces, in light of other sets I'm thinking it will be more like $60. There's already an impulse size set at $7 (Swamp Creature), a $12 (Mummy Chariot), a $20 (Werewolf), a $35 (Hearse), a $50 (Monster Lab), an $80 (Ghost Train) and a $100 (Castle). The only gap there is the $60/$70 price range. The Lab, being 430 pieces, is the most comparable price-point. It could possibly dip into the $55 area.

Buttmunch
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Buttmunch » Tue May 22, 2012 10:10 pm

Hmmm... it would make sense if that piece count is accurate. But it looks like a $40ish set, but its hard to say. I think there is a lot of factors playing in the $30-60 range that may not be entirely obvious. I still don't think Weathertop is a $60 set. More like $50, but I think the Zombie set looks to be a little smaller than that set. So who knows. The LotR sets do seem to be on the high side anyway. Lego must have had a heck of a licensing fee on them.

Personally I'm fine with a little wait on the zombie as getting everything from this line and LotR has been hurting the old wallet :lol: Plus we're still waiting on that Marvel Spider-man set as well revealed only by the mini figures so far. So Lego has a couple of sets out there they've teased but not released yet. Maybe they're holding off for another mid-summer release to spread these lines out a bit more?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed May 23, 2012 4:11 am

You really can't compare licensed and non-licensed price-points, they're always going to be a little higher (or more than a little) for the licensed set of a comparable piece count.
Buttmunch wrote:Hmmm... it would make sense if that piece count is accurate. But it looks like a $40ish set, but its hard to say.
That's what I thought about the Lab, but, alas, it's $50, not $40. So the Zombie set could easily surprise us again.
I think there is a lot of factors playing in the $30-60 range that may not be entirely obvious.
A lot of pricing (even outside of the $30-60 range) has to do with the pieces used - a low number of large pieces is just about equal to a large number of small pieces... then there is the consideration of new molds or new colors that will increase the price. So, in essence, it's simply the amount of plastic used plus the amount of money spent on developing the set.

barbecue17
I'm New !

Post by barbecue17 » Tue May 29, 2012 8:48 am

Hey everybody!

I haven't collected Legos in years, but the Monster Fighters themed has sucked me in.

I typically collect action figures, but while my wife and I were in TRU checking out the LOTR Lego sets (just out of curiousity) I stumbled across the Monster Fighters sets. Holy smokes! :shock: Contained in the sets is nearly everything I like: Monsters, spooky old castles, turn of the century paranormal investigators (I'm a huge Mike Mignola fan), and stuff that glows in the dark!

I grabbed the castle, the swamp creature, the werewolf, and the mummy. I didn't grab the hearse or train (yet :shh: ) but I'll be back for those. I was excited to discover the Mad Scientist's lab and the zombie tomb as well- what an exciting theme! Are there any other lego sets that go along well with these?

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Tue May 29, 2012 9:02 am

barbecue17 wrote:... Are there any other lego sets that go along well with these?
There have been monsters included in many of the Collectible Minifigure series (CMF)

Here is all that have been released to date:
Might be hard to find, but they are out there

Zombie:
http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=8683-5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Witch:
http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=8684-4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Vampire:
http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=8684-5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mummy:
http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=8803-13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Monster (Frankenstein)
http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=8804-7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Werewolf:
http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=8804-12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, not sure if you seen the Batman sets, but noticed you like him.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!