Oringinal Trilogy Sets vs. Prequel Sets

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
sadowsk1
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Oringinal Trilogy Sets vs. Prequel Sets

Post by sadowsk1 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:22 pm

I thought I would start up a thread to see what movie trilogy people like the sets more from and why. I'm wondering if there are sets out there I'm overlooking from the Star Wars line I may have overlooked for my own collection. I personally enjoy the original trilogy more and my favorite set has to be the falcon in all it's forms, it's just a classic ship to me and has more personality than most ships in the star wars line though I would love a Star Wars midi Super Star Destroyer Executor.

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Re: Oringinal Trilogy Sets vs. Prequel Sets

Post by Mantisking » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:06 am

I prefer the Clone Wars sets. They have much more in the way of color, original series sets tended to have a lot of light blay and dark blay.

oocaleb101oo
Knight
Knight

Post by oocaleb101oo » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:21 am

I prefer the Clone Wars/Prequel sets. Not knocking the originals, but they are more attractive. I think they didn't do the Palpatine set any justice though. The one with burned Anakin. That ship looks very generic. The minifigures are more attractive too. Very interesting characters, but that could also be because LEGO fleshed out the characters more and put more decals on them and custom weaponry/items.

I would however love to see a revisited Tie Fighter/Tie Interceptor with a gray frame and not the blue pieces they were using way way back.

sadowsk1
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by sadowsk1 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:24 am

The inspiration of my post is the latest releases of Star Wars Legos and how they kind of skipped over the classics, which is disappointing for me, but if that's the direction that sets are taking to appeal to a bigger audience, I understand that.

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:40 am

I like the originals better. That's where it all began. I think there was more imagination back them because they had to start from scratch. Now it's just a variation of old stuff ( or new ). I also agree that they need to redo some of the older sets.

oocaleb101oo
Knight
Knight

Post by oocaleb101oo » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:28 am

sadowsk1 wrote:The inspiration of my post is the latest releases of Star Wars Legos and how they kind of skipped over the classics, which is disappointing for me, but if that's the direction that sets are taking to appeal to a bigger audience, I understand that.
I agree with you that it seems their focus has been more of clone wars than the original series. I mean they did have the Wampa Cave/Hoth/Slave I sets but still. The 2011 sets that they are bringing out now don't have any real original trilogy sets. Perhaps they are at a loss on what scene they could do? I mean they've pretty much done everything from the Corellian Corvette to the battle of Endor. Perhaps they can do a Uncle Owens set.

I think we'll be seeing a lot more Clone Wars sets if anything as it is still ongoing. Unless they bring out those episodes inbetween the end of Episode 3 and Episode 4. It'll give us some more material.

koromo
Knight
Knight

Post by koromo » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:31 pm

I missed out most the Original Movie sets in my 'dark period' I would like a re-visit on the Tie-Fighter line using the new constuction styles, and something on Jabba's Palace and all things Tatoonie...just no more pod- racing..gah!

The Attack of the Clones has been rather overlooked short of Luminara in the Exculsive set( but alas its really a take from a CW episode and not something I remember for EP II. I'd like to see Jango and EP II characters make a return as well.
Lego Fan based in Seacoast Area of New Hampshire.

Everybody
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Everybody » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:14 pm

I love the original trilogy sets. I think if they remade a lot of old sets and made them bigger it would convert many CW fans.

lukeskywalker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lukeskywalker » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:42 am

I have to say that I much prefer the Prequel trilogy sets. Though it's probably because I like that movie trilogy better. :D
The sets just seem so much cooler, to me at least.

oocaleb101oo
Knight
Knight

Post by oocaleb101oo » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:13 am

I do like the fact tho that they revisit some of the sets. I mean compare the first Slave I with the current Slave I.

koromo
Knight
Knight

Post by koromo » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:31 pm

oocaleb101oo wrote:I do like the fact tho that they revisit some of the sets. I mean compare the first Slave I with the current Slave I.
But there were two intervening sets, Jango's Slave I (7153) and Slave I from 2006 (6209). Making 4 issues of the same ship.

Though giving the better detailing and shapes of each revision I am looking forward to some 2nd editions of other sets.

I like the movies series sets and the CW gets more of second place with me. At the moment it helps fill in for my lack of EP II sets.

EU could be developed more, the rogue shadow was meh, but I did like seeing the Tie-defender. A Mandalorian Viper Ship from SW:Galaxy at War (also called the Virago in Shadows of the Empire) would be great to see. So would the Jade Shadow with Mara Jade or Lady Luck with Lando.
Lego Fan based in Seacoast Area of New Hampshire.

mrfootball
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by mrfootball » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:29 pm

Like'm both, but I had to chose I'd choose the OT and my son would probably go for the Clone Wars.

yankeeken
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by yankeeken » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:14 am

My favorite are by far the original trilogy sets. I also prefer the non-clone wars prequel sets over the clone war sets.

anthonyj8
Knight
Knight

Post by anthonyj8 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:53 pm

Mantisking wrote:I prefer the Clone Wars sets. They have much more in the way of color, original series sets tended to have a lot of light blay and dark blay.
agreed. :mrgreen: