2011 Pharaoh's Quest

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: [USA] TRU 10$ off 50$ lego excl PQ 12/10-12/11

Post by natelite » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:29 pm

vynsane wrote:
natelite wrote:As for PQ, I'm with tf2. It's the novelty of a new theme. TRU was allowed early release mainly as a test market for how well a theme will sell so TLC can plan production so they don't overstock and force to liquidate at 75% sale later on. But to really gauge that you need the sets to sell at msrp or more.
Is there some sort of data to back this up? The wording here has some air of authority to it, but I don't see any real reason or evidence as to why LEGO would test-market via TRU. It's the same thing as any other theme, TRU releases them early, we've seen it season after season this year.

As for the reselling theory, I'm sure there is some validity to that, but for the most part I would think these sets are going to kids who think they're awesome. Maybe I'm naive or doing it wrong, but I don't see a lot of profit in being 'the first on the block' to resell/part out new sets, though that just could do more with geographic location than anything else - the northeast seems to consistently get stuff last, so by the time I would see anything on the shelves, it wouldn't be worth my while to do it. My location makes parting out clearances the better bet.
you seem to not like me very much. since you're new to the game that's okay. you don't need to take my word for it.

as for resale, it's very very common knowledge that the first mf on either ebay or bl will sell at the highest price possible. nannan wrote something to that effect a few years ago, with screenshot of his paypal account to back that up. since then many have joined the game. just take a quick look at parted sets on bl or pq mfs on ebay for e.g.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Re: [USA] TRU 10$ off 50$ lego excl PQ 12/10-12/11

Post by vynsane » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:27 pm

natelite wrote:you seem to not like me very much. since you're new to the game that's okay. you don't need to take my word for it.
I'm not sure what I've said in the past to give you that impression. I was just asking whether or not that was merely strongly worded conjecture on your part, or if you had some sort of 'insider knowledge' that proved LEGO was test-marketing PQ through TRU for some reason. I rarely take anyone at their word only, so I wouldn't get upset about it.
as for resale, it's very very common knowledge that the first mf on either ebay or bl will sell at the highest price possible. nannan wrote something to that effect a few years ago, with screenshot of his paypal account to back that up. since then many have joined the game. just take a quick look at parted sets on bl or pq mfs on ebay for e.g.
Oh, I agree that the first Minifig will get top dollar. However, looking at the figures on BL, it doesn't seem like a lot of people are laughing all the way to the bank. Most of the figures haven't sold more than 40 times or so since they were first available (in November) except for the flying mummies and Anubis warrior figures. None of the currently-available figures have listings that reach a second page, which means around 25 people have these available for sale. I just think it's possible you're overestimating the amount of influence 'first responder' resellers have on the market as a whole.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: 2011 Pharaoh's Quest

Post by NIGELTTF » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:36 pm

Or perhaps TRU pressured Lego to give them first shot for the Christmas rush.

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:37 pm

NIGELTTF wrote:Or perhaps TRU pressured Lego to give them first shot for the Christmas rush.
I think TRU gets them first every year.
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream
I post a lot of reviews in the reviews forum! Check them out!

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:17 pm

hadn't seen this posted, sorry if i just missed it.

available 1-1
LEGO® Pharaoh’s Quest Coin Bank
Build a bank protected by ancient curses!
Build your very own LEGO® Pharaoh’s Quest Coin Bank! Even the internal mechanism is constructed with LEGO elements! Insert your coins into the ancient temple where the cursed cobra guards over them! A great gift for any LEGO Pharaoh’s Quest fan.
Protect your treasure with the cursed cobra!
Build your own coin bank!
Makes a great gift!
116 LEGO® elements
http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/cli ... 6d%253D443" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:22 pm

If it was about $5 cheaper it might be worth it for those seeking the head of the snake, but otherwise it's just a gimmick, although it's nice to see that they included more pieces than their last bank.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:26 pm

legitimatealex wrote:If it was about $5 cheaper it might be worth it for those seeking the head of the snake, but otherwise it's just a gimmick, although it's nice to see that they included more pieces than their last bank.
It's glued. The box says stck after the parts (stuck).
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:45 am

I have some information on early release dates. LEGO sends it's products to the retailers at the same time. They always request that the sets not be released until a certain date (some are before the next year, some are after), but some retailers like to jump ahead and released early in order to capture the "ooh! That's new AND cool" buyers.
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:58 pm

Toys N Bricks wrote: Mini Promotional Sets

LEGO 30090 Aeroplane

LEGO 30091 Car
First post update. Thanks to Brickset for the news.

legogod
Knight
Knight

Post by legogod » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:02 pm

It's cool that you can get a small set like these for a smaller price but does anyone else feel like these make you laugh a little bit?

While traversing the inhospitable landscape, the team had come across bandits who stole everything they owned. When the villains were a safe distance away, our heroes quickly unfolded a small car and bi-plane and continued on to headquarters...

Their smirks are what gives it that surreality. Their smugness at having such a small vehicle-BUT knowing how to use it!

One of the pros of having no windshield is that your percentage of actually hitting the bad guy improves.

I like them-thanks for the info.

Jared

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:21 pm

I like them, they remind me of the old Adventure bags from the 90s.

Of course in the 90s the bags were $1.99. :lol:

SpaceNinjaDino
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceNinjaDino » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:11 am

Well, I like some of the car pieces. I'm still in to 4 x N car designs, but we never see car doors anymore. This set would have been much more interesting if they used the female "quester"/adventurer and avoided that grill piece. I don't think we've had a female included in a polybag yet (not counting CMF).

I think they should avoid minifigure sized vehicles in general for polybags (I love the mini SW sets). When they did the Kingdoms archer set, that was perfect (if a shield was included). It had several accessories and the tree could be that size.

One idea that comes to mind is a nurse/doctor polybag with testing equipment and patient bed or a dentist with reclining chair and positional spot light with a drill. Or someone with a couch and pizza+cup.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:50 am

SpaceNinjaDino wrote:I think they should avoid minifigure sized vehicles in general for polybags[...]
Yeah, these mini vehicles always look like they're participants in a Shriner's convention. If, instead of a mini-car or plane, either one of these came with a motorcycle, a scorpion or snake, and some sort of brick-built Egyptian artifact, it would be better. And they're both the same character, to boot.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:13 am

SpaceNinjaDino wrote:Well, I like some of the car pieces. I'm still in to 4 x N car designs, but we never see car doors anymore. This set would have been much more interesting if they used the female "quester"/adventurer and avoided that grill piece. I don't think we've had a female included in a polybag yet (not counting CMF).

There is a jet ski polybag tat comes with a man and a woman, I think it's supposed to be released with the other City habour sets.

joeSephALien
I'm New !

Post by joeSephALien » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:12 pm

vynsane wrote:
SpaceNinjaDino wrote:I think they should avoid minifigure sized vehicles in general for polybags[...]
Yeah, these mini vehicles always look like they're participants in a Shriner's convention. If, instead of a mini-car or plane, either one of these came with a motorcycle, a scorpion or snake, and some sort of brick-built Egyptian artifact, it would be better. And they're both the same character, to boot.
Hmmm. Maybe they are on their way to convention. lol
But I do accept the fact that they might be having a trouble making motorcyle in some other way. Cause cars are way to easy to make,am I right?

tommy20
Peasant
Peasant

Post by tommy20 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:08 pm

So, is PQ going dormant? I haven't seen anything about 2012 releases...

Shijima
Knight
Knight

Post by Shijima » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:57 pm

I would think its done, and then my guess is maybe they will bring in another action/adventures line later in 2012? Unless Dino Hunters or whatever its called is its replacement?

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:18 am

I think the Dino line is the replacement.

I'm more curious to what the Space theme will be next year.

harry99
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by harry99 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:14 am

Hasn't this one been around for a while? Would be great to have some new additions but the Dino line certainly makes up for it disappearing...
Visit my BrickLink store - 10% off if you mention that you're a ToysNBricks member. http://www.BrickAssortments.com

zdog89
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by zdog89 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:02 am

So today I went to the Lego Store and the associate told me that this has been officially discontinued. They said that the Lego group ordered all items to be sent back to the warehouses.... sale in the near future? A real same because this series had potential, and only half lived up to it. =(
-Chris